Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Good Sam RV insurance quote

So . . . . I recently received an offer in the mail to call and receive a quote from Good Sam insurance on my RV. It stated that anyone who called would receive a "Free Gift" (small tool kit) just for calling, regardless of whether they signed up for the insurance. The lady who answered was professional, getting my info, preparing the quote, etc. She asked who I currently had insurance with, I told her that I didn't feel that that information was necessary in order for her to give me a quote. She stated that she needed the information in order to show that the RV was currently insured. I told her that I would be perfectly willing to provide proof of coverage in the event I bound coverage with Good Sam. She huffed, but then asked me if the RV had been uninsured at any time in the last, I believe she said, 6 months. I said no, it had been continuously insured since I purchased it 4 years ago.

So, the quote ended up being about 55% more than I am currently paying for similar coverage (I gave her the specific coverages/deductibles right off my current policy).

I told her that her quote was not competitive. She asked me who I had insurance through. I told her The Hartford. She stated that they did not specifically insure RV's and did not cover items like awnings, steps, and personal belongings. I referred her to my statement that I had a claim for awning damage two years ago that they paid in full with no problems, and read her the section that covered coverage on steps and personal belongings.

Note: personal belongings insurance is limited, and is NOT to be confused with "Full Timer's Coverage".

I also asked her if the Good Sam policy covered towing, since The Hartford had recently (last renewal period) included RV towing at no additional cost. She said Good Sam does NOT cover towing unless you specifically pay for it.

I ended the phone call by confirming that the "free gift" would be sent even though I did not buy the insurance . . . She said yes, and that it would arrive within 2 weeks. . . . .That was in Mid December . . . . almost 6 weeks ago.

It just reaffirms for us that we made the right decision, since Good Sam did not fulfill even the VERY FIRST promise that they made to me, a perspective customer!

After all, a foundation built on an initial, say we say, untruth, is not a foundation to be relied upon.

Just my experience.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess I need to check my policy with The Hartford. I hadn't realized it included towing so I have CoachNet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Guess I need to check my policy with The Hartford. I hadn't realized it included towing so I have CoachNet.
Mr_D, The back side of the welcome letter you get with your policy renewal, last paragraph under "Delivering On Our Promise to You" mentions the Rescue 1-800 Emergency Road Service, detailed 6 pages later under "NEW! Emergency Motor Home Roadside Assistance"

Roadside assistance, or you can't get your RV going, it covers towing to closest qualified repair facility anywhere in U.S. or Canada.

Of course, the owner of the RV and The Hartford may not agree as to what establishment is a "qualified repair facility", but at least it's a start.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

I received my "free" nut driver kit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

I filled out an online quote with them and not only were the prices over double my current, they called me every day for a week and even twice on two of the days. There is one absolute regarding sales; you will never pester me enough to win my business. That tactic alone was enough to guarantee that I’ll never do business with them.
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Well ! have we learned anything ….G S ?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
I filled out an online quote with them and not only were the prices over double my current, they called me every day for a week and even twice on two of the days. There is one absolute regarding sales; you will never pester me enough to win my business. That tactic alone was enough to guarantee that I’ll never do business with them.
Same here
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I received my "free" nut driver kit.
Ray, just curious, how long did it take? Was their quote competitive for you? Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #9

I have had hartford for several years was much cheaper than anybody with better coverage
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #10

I had Hartford for several years on another RV, Expedition, however when we purchased our current coach, Hartford would not cover it due to age. Well they would cover it for liability but nothing else. The price was north of 1000 per year.
Checked Good Sam, only 734.00 per year for full coverage, so I was a happy camper, I pay monthly, via autopay and love it. I have had no problems with Good Sam. Just my experience.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #11

I'm always suspicious of insurance quotes that are miles apart. I'm sure some companies might charge more than others but I'm also aware that "there ain't no free lunch". Additional supporting insurance like homeowners and personal auto policies will usually help reduce the premiums on an RV too. If you don't get a quote on the whole package the RV only coverage will likely be higher. Insurance coverages are often hard to compare apples to apples.

I don't think Good Sam is an insurance company. I've always thought they were simply an agency and for that reason, they don't set the premiums or terms of a policy. Those are set by the underwriting policies of the issuing insurance company.

Someone once told me that GS sells National General insurance. I don't know that for a fact.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #12

That is true, it is National General Insurance, hole in wall
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 AM   #13

Concerning insurance, I have USAA for all our insurance including an umbrella policy. For us to maintain the umbrella policy USAA required me to insure our RV with Progressive. Our policy is I believe 500,000/300,000 with a 1000 deductible. The cost is $1,900/yr. That's probably pretty high compared to most states but FL is a no fault state.

FL also requires insurers to replace windshields at no cost. Our one piece DP windshield cracked earlier this month. I'm going to get it replaced tomorrow. Cost is $3,100. No cost or deductible to me.

We're headed to AK this summer. Might be getting a new windshield again in the fall.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #14

Me too

I also received the letter offering a VIP discount and a free gift for just calling for a quote. I had just talked to GS and received a high quote about a week earlier as I shopped for new coverage after Safeco increased my first year rate by 40% to renew. I called back to get my VIP discount (free gift was secondary) and found out the VIP discount was $0 and the free gift was a "small socket set" and would be sent in about 6-8 weeks. That was 5 weeks ago and I have yet to receive this free gift, even after calling back on principle to assure is was "processed" correctly. Outcome is still TBD. GS will quote you on the three primary RV insurance companies but I called each of them individually too and GS was higher than going direct. In MN (also no fault) a $160,000 valued MH costs about $2100/year to insure. Apparently high due to frequent hail claims of late.
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance