Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been with National General through Good Sam for over 20 years now. Last year we had occasion to actually use them when we had the differential on our motorhome start throwing out oil due to being in a flood. A call to them confirmed we were covered, then photos of the flood, the damage to the differential, and the bill from the shop were all we needed to get reimbursed for the expenses, including the hotel bill for 3 weeks while the motorhome was sitting in the shop! To be honest, they didn't cover 100% of the expense, but they had the luxury of taking the time to search the country for low prices on rebuilt carriers, while we wanted to get back on the road quickly, but we felt they were very fair in their dealings with us.

Are they perfect? Of course not - there is NO perfect company out there but we've been satisfied for over 20 years and whenever we shop for a better deal they are always lower priced that ANYONE else we've researched so we stay with them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I read a bunch of the post here thinking this was all about the Good Sam Extended Service Protection plan (ESP). I have that and pay thru auto pay monthly 10 months a year. The total for the policy is about $1300.

I have Geico for all of our other insurance, auto, boat, homeowners and motor-home. They covered my first trip crash with no hiccups.

Sudsy

Every state's Insurance Commission is different in their protection requirements and overall interpretation of the policies.
This is for my collision and comprehensive insurance.
I will be going back with Progressive have dealt with them for years I was just trying to save a few bucks.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 PM   #17

I've been paying them with credit card and that seems to be trouble free as far as them feeling they were paid. And I get points from my card company.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 AM   #18

1 800 insurance companies

various comments above about geico and others.

when using a national company that doesn't have local agents...

i'd suggest always getting the name of the person that you are talking with
at the beginning of any conversation and noting it... half way through the conversation tell them you really appreciate the way they have handled your business, then ask for their email. the conversation is probably being recorded .
they will like it that you are bragging on them and will probably give out their email. but they may not...
if not then ask for their supervisors email as you would like to congratulate them for their good service. then after concluding your business send the individual a "thank you for helping" and confirm the important info. and asking for a clarification on something that was discussed.

if you don't have their email do send a note to their supervisor
thanking supervisor for susie's assistance and again confirming the important info...
and very important....
ask for a clarification on something....
for instance....
john, i want to brag on the way susie helped me. she was great..
she helped me provide the liability coverage for my tiffin 32sa with 100/300 limits and a collision and comp ded of 1000. i gave her my cc and she confirmed that i was paid up till november 18, 2018.
we discussed the 500 ded option...
could you remind me what the price would be with the 500 deductible option would be? thanks... i need to explain this to my wife...
thanks again for the help.
rockriver. policy number 12345677 email rockriver@example.com
------------

folks, i have an issue right now with a very large insurance company on my retirement plan... there were many phone calls and they assured me that they were being recorded... then they went to lying...
i asked for copies of the conversations..
they agreed to send them.
then they popped an attitude.
when they realized the lying... was bad and just got worse.
one simple lie.
a lowly supervisor who is a CLU told me he was the head of the annuity department... when i asked if he was the director, he said yes... there is no one above me... whopper...
i suspect he violated the ethics code of the clu organization.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #19

Sorry to hear of the original poster's issues with National General. Clearly frustrating and an example of very poor service.

There are always two sides to a story and mine is that we have had Good Sam insurance since their coverage was by the now defunct GMAC. While neither a Good Sam lover or hater, back in the 1980's I responded to a mailer claiming better rates, and they were almost half that of our Allstate policy. We had one claim 9 years ago and the only increase in rates has been the few $ each year that I attribute to general inflation.

I pay by CC on the National General website, keep tabs on the renewal date, and print copies of the renewal confirmation.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazi View Post
Time to switch to Progressive?
That's what I did on my car (I do not have Good Sam's on the RV)

My usual reply to a rant like this is to mention a song from, as I recall, the late 1950's

I explain that that is the insurance company's way of telling you to "SHOP AROUND" (the title of the song).
Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #21

Due to constant issues with the post office in our area. We don't trust that we will get any of our important mail. I have recently started using "Informed Delivery" an app by the USPS that shows me a pic of the mail. Did you know they take pictures of all the mail? Who wudda thought. The other problem is our address is really dumb as in it has Street Drive in the address. Which means most people think you made a mistake and drop either the street or drive. Oh an sometimes I don't get my mail if street isn't spelled out. Cause street is the name of the street but its actually a drive. When I had progressive they dropped the street off the address. Because I had auto payment I didn't notice until I canceled the insurance and they sent the balance to who knows where. Just try to get an address change after an acct has been closed.

Anyway, back to the subject. Due to the flakey mail service. I now use the android app for Geico. I check for any notifications and I have all notifications about my accounts texted to my phone. I pay through my phone, I take a screenshot of the confirmed payment but I also get an email. It saved my butt right after I got the policy cause I thought they combined the payment with my auto. I got a text it was going to be canceled for non pay and was able to get it taken care of in time.

When I lived in Utah I got a little surprise because back then you paid everything by mail or western union. Somehow my payment was mis applied and they notified the state that I didn't have insurance but didn't send anything to me. I found out when the sheriff came to take the plates from my car. Of course it was Saturday and back then they didn't have people there to help on the weekend. It was awful. Back then we also got our canceled checks back. I found them and showed the Sheriff and they let me keep my plates but said they would be back on Monday.

Tags
insurance, led