Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
GoodSam RV Roadside Assistance - seems like a scam?

Several months ago, when I learned that towing a diesel involves dropping out the drive shaft and a big bill, I decided to look into RV Roadside Assistance packages. GoodSam had a sale on, and seemed like a good choice. The yearly fee was a fraction of the cost of just one towing bill - so I signed up.

Last week, while parked in a campground, I woke up to a flat tire. The day before, I had installed a set of TPMS sensors, and one of them had obviously leaked air all night and drained the tire.

With a big smile on my face, I made a call to the people at GoodSam. I told the gentleman that I had a flat tire and needed someone to come and fill me with air. He promptly replied that there would be a minimum $180 charge and that I had to pay that amount before he would send someone to help me.

I asked why the charge and he said "to fix the tire". I said I didn't need a tire fixed, I just needed air. He said "no tire goes flat on it's own, so we charge a minimum of $180 to repair the cause". I then explained that I knew it was just an overnight leak, that no repair was required. He repeated his $180 speech, saying that even if it was just a leaky valve - it would, at a minimum, require a new valve - thus "a repair" and the minimum charge of $180.

I then fully explained how the air had disappeared, and now that I had removed the faulty sensor - the "problem" was resolved. Dude reinforced the required $180 payment before he would send someone out.

I said I could probably get a tow truck to come and put air in for $75. He said "then do that."

Am I missing something here? Will a similar scenario play out every time I have an issue? If so, why buy roadside assistance at all? Is this a phenomenon unique to GoodSam? Or industry wide?

I can't seem to get the bitter taste of my GoodSam intro experience out of my mouth. Can someone more knowledgeable than me please point me towards a more reasonable roadside assistance provider?

Thanks in advance,
B
DrBob7762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 02:32 PM   #2

From their website:

Quote:
A Spare When You Need It
Fewer than 5% of motorhomes carry a spare. If you get a flat and don't have a spare, Good Sam Roadside Assistance will help you purchase an RV tire and deliver it on the spot. You just pay for the tire, parts and labor.
It sounds like they're insisting you pay in advance for a replacement tire or parts under this. Otherwise, they'll change the tire under roadside assistance.

Quote:
Flat Tire Service to Keep You Rolling
Don't worry about the next time you get a flat tire. Let our network of service technicians change it for you. Or, if needed, they will tow your vehicle to the nearest service center.
Sounds sketchy
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:54 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Get and carry a small compressor with you, for the next time. Sorry about your experience
Old 05-20-2022, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
From their website:

It sounds like they're insisting you pay in advance for a replacement tire or parts under this. Otherwise, they'll change the tire under roadside assistance.

Sounds sketchy

Marcus needs the money. New yachts went up in price.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Get and carry a small compressor with you, for the next time. Sorry about your experience
Most definitely!

Road side assistance can be a good thing to have. But with a situation like this, why go through the trouble with them, then have to wait, maybe hours, for a tire guy to show up. The tire could have been aired up in short order if a compressor had been available.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:21 AM   #6

I have had no operational experiences with Good Sam so far (knock on wood) but I detest their business practices and will be switching to someone, maybe FMCA next year.

I renewed my membership after the first year by sending in their renewal card with my credit card info. For the next three months they kept sending me email and paper notices that my renewal was due. If I accepted all of those notices at face value, I would have paid for another 4-5 years worth.

Sounds like a scam to me.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:10 AM   #7

Couple of thoughts.

What does your roadside policy indicate about service when you are not on a public highway? My roadside policy indicates the RV must be on or within 50 foot of a public rightway.

What does your policy actually indicate about tire service? What will the policy cover, and what won't it cover?

If you know that you policy does infact cover you while you are in a campground, then I would have politely hung up on the first person and tried another call. Gotta remember, these calls are usually handled by a call center that may or may not be employes of your RS Company.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:00 AM   #8

Since you mention the cost to tow a DP I assume you are driving a DP? If you are driving a DP you have an onboard compressor to provide air pressure to operate your brakes, and most likely have a quick connect somewhere in the basement, usually near the front of the rig, or inside the front endcap. Carry an air hose with a tire chuck and an air gauge for such emergencies. Then you can more easily monitor tire air pressures and adjust as needed.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no experience with GS roadside assistance program, but do have experience with their extended warranty insurance. I've had no problems with them on two occasions when repairs were needed to our '2005' Winnebago. I've simply paid my deductible and they've picked up the balance.

Yup, they're still insuring a 17 year old MH.

FWIW, I've had great luck with AAA's roadside insurance and used them happily quite a few times.
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:05 AM   #10

I Like Being Prepared!

I have TPMS, air hoses, all tire tools including 20 ton jack and breakdown tools, a fully mounted spare tire and Good Sam.

I have used air tools numerous times, never used the spare and never used Good Sam.

I’m prepared for most emergencies and for me, having roadside assistance is mandatory. Will I be unhappy with GS? Probably, but for me that’s ok. I
sometimes love arguing when conversations start going downhill. Ugh.

Furthermore, I may call my own roadside assistance for small things, but for a tow on my coach, I may be glad I have that Platinum coverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F82DD0E1-8FE5-4A11-9FC4-B2CFEB557CB7.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	366149   Click image for larger version

Name:	36B6AF58-0651-4AC9-83D9-49D6939D6657.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	366150  

Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #11

I believe I would ask for a refund and do business elsewhere.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #12

I had the same failure and had a compressor, it won't reseat the tire on the rim. Had TA come out and "put air in it". I have 315's so maybe on a smaller DP tire that will work, it wouldn't on mine. Cost was $250.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
Marcus needs the money. New yachts went up in price.
I've heard the used market is saturated with yachts previously owned by Russian oligarchs...
Old 05-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob7762 View Post
Several months ago, when I learned that towing a diesel involves dropping out the drive shaft and a big bill, I decided to look into RV Roadside Assistance packages. GoodSam had a sale on, and seemed like a good choice. The yearly fee was a fraction of the cost of just one towing bill - so I signed up.

Last week, while parked in a campground, I woke up to a flat tire. The day before, I had installed a set of TPMS sensors, and one of them had obviously leaked air all night and drained the tire.

With a big smile on my face, I made a call to the people at GoodSam. I told the gentleman that I had a flat tire and needed someone to come and fill me with air. He promptly replied that there would be a minimum $180 charge and that I had to pay that amount before he would send someone to help me.

I asked why the charge and he said "to fix the tire". I said I didn't need a tire fixed, I just needed air. He said "no tire goes flat on it's own, so we charge a minimum of $180 to repair the cause". I then explained that I knew it was just an overnight leak, that no repair was required. He repeated his $180 speech, saying that even if it was just a leaky valve - it would, at a minimum, require a new valve - thus "a repair" and the minimum charge of $180.

I then fully explained how the air had disappeared, and now that I had removed the faulty sensor - the "problem" was resolved. Dude reinforced the required $180 payment before he would send someone out.

I said I could probably get a tow truck to come and put air in for $75. He said "then do that."

Am I missing something here? Will a similar scenario play out every time I have an issue? If so, why buy roadside assistance at all? Is this a phenomenon unique to GoodSam? Or industry wide?

I can't seem to get the bitter taste of my GoodSam intro experience out of my mouth. Can someone more knowledgeable than me please point me towards a more reasonable roadside assistance provider?

Thanks in advance,

B

What you are missing is good sams is nothing but a middle man.

Tags
ems