Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob7762 View Post
Several months ago, when I learned that towing a diesel involves dropping out the drive shaft and a big bill, I decided to look into RV Roadside Assistance packages. GoodSam had a sale on, and seemed like a good choice. The yearly fee was a fraction of the cost of just one towing bill - so I signed up.

Last week, while parked in a campground, I woke up to a flat tire. The day before, I had installed a set of TPMS sensors, and one of them had obviously leaked air all night and drained the tire.

With a big smile on my face, I made a call to the people at GoodSam. I told the gentleman that I had a flat tire and needed someone to come and fill me with air. He promptly replied that there would be a minimum $180 charge and that I had to pay that amount before he would send someone to help me.

I asked why the charge and he said "to fix the tire". I said I didn't need a tire fixed, I just needed air. He said "no tire goes flat on it's own, so we charge a minimum of $180 to repair the cause". I then explained that I knew it was just an overnight leak, that no repair was required. He repeated his $180 speech, saying that even if it was just a leaky valve - it would, at a minimum, require a new valve - thus "a repair" and the minimum charge of $180.

I then fully explained how the air had disappeared, and now that I had removed the faulty sensor - the "problem" was resolved. Dude reinforced the required $180 payment before he would send someone out.

I said I could probably get a tow truck to come and put air in for $75. He said "then do that."

Am I missing something here? Will a similar scenario play out every time I have an issue? If so, why buy roadside assistance at all? Is this a phenomenon unique to GoodSam? Or industry wide?

I can't seem to get the bitter taste of my GoodSam intro experience out of my mouth. Can someone more knowledgeable than me please point me towards a more reasonable roadside assistance provider?

Thanks in advance,
B
We used to have Coach-Net roadside assist and always had great service - no $180 fees. However, its premiums are more expensive, so we decided to try the FMCA recommended roadside assist program at less cost. Big mistake. When we had a blow out and needed a new tire, the only actual available service was to tow the rig to the nearest Camping World. We ended us using Google to find a local truck tire company that would bring us a proper tire. We are now back with Coach-Net.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #44

Insurance companies make a LOT of money betting that your RV won't break down, or that they have a loophole that will get them out of paying. Save those premium dollars and make the same bet they do - if you have a problem, your cash is good anywhere with no exclusions or loopholes. Self insure.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:16 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
flat tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Most definitely!

Road side assistance can be a good thing to have. But with a situation like this, why go through the trouble with them, then have to wait, maybe hours, for a tire guy to show up. The tire could have been aired up in short order if a compressor had been available.
I carry a small air compressor in my basement of the RV it has saved me.
DorisMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #46

We had problems with Good Sam road assistance also. Called them first. . Good Sam sent a tiny wrecker we had a Winnebago. We then called Progressive our regular insurance And they sent someone to take care of the problem and didn’t take as long to get to us. Won’t get Good Sam again our regular insurance is better.
Clydsdale2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #47

I have had GS insurance (including towing) since 1996. Had to use emergency service twice, one was a 35-mile tow (motorhome), and one was a 5-mile tow (motorhome and trailer). Had no problems either time. I also carry a small compressor for those inconvenient times that a valve stem valve decides to leak. The small fee that GS charges for the service have more than been paid for due to the costs of those two tows.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #48

Used Good Sam twice for my Class A, no issues. But you should have a small compressor with you to air tires up when they need it. Someone around you had one. Even my friends with a class C carry compressors.
Radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #49

I use AAA. Had a fan clutch explode took out belts etc, Not drivable. They sent out a big rotater tow truck. He picked up the backend and towed me 70 miles into Fort Myers at 80 mph ( not a typo) on New Years Day. Never got a bill. This was a 39' Winnebago pusher. Too many horror stories with GS, FMCA etc.
jim2iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #50

Came out of the south entrance of Yellowstone...dropping down into Cody when we experience a tire going flat(TPMS warning). Pulled over and could not get air to inflate one of my duals with a too small-of-a compressor. This has since been rectified with the most powerful 12V RV portable compressor available. BUT, we did contact GS for roadside assistance to install a new tire. Wouldn't you know, it took two days to get 2 tires to the local tire shop and for them to bring them out and install them on my rig. We were fortunate that I limped down into the valley and stayed at an rv park. Once replaced, we went into town and bought 2 more tires for the opposite side duals from the same tire shop that came to our rescue...for half the price that GS charged us. Go figure...$800.00 from GS. More like Bad Sam. We're still with them, but for how long?
chromronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:59 PM   #51

I always travel with a CO2 tank

I always travel with a CO2 tank and all the hook ups. Fills large tires in seconds to 100 pounds. I also have a battery operated compressor as back up.

You can fix a flat with nails and screws, and is suitable for all radial, steel-belted, and tubeless off-road tires.

I've used this setup up for decades and has saved me more times that I can count.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
carry a pump, pressure gauge, and spare valve extenders

Carry valve extenders, a pump with enough power to fill an RV tire, and a good pressure gauge. From experience I can tell you that extenders fail. I carry a hot dog compressor I purchased from Lowes. It doesn't take alot of room, it doesn't overheat, it's AC powered, and it's fairly fast, all issues with small pumps.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #53

GS NOT

I like you had GS and I had a slow leak on a rear tire. I called and they stated that they won't fix tires and I had to buy a new one ($175) when the tire service came out. I refused as the tire was fairly new. I then called Coachnet ( I thought my membership had run out)and they sent out the same exact repair service where he found a valve extender leaking. Fixed it and didn't charge me. We've had CoachNet for 15 years and they have never failed me except for one time when the rep kept wanting an address where I was - in the middle of nowhere. She was gone the next day when I called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob7762 View Post
Several months ago, when I learned that towing a diesel involves dropping out the drive shaft and a big bill, I decided to look into RV Roadside Assistance packages. GoodSam had a sale on, and seemed like a good choice. The yearly fee was a fraction of the cost of just one towing bill - so I signed up.

Last week, while parked in a campground, I woke up to a flat tire. The day before, I had installed a set of TPMS sensors, and one of them had obviously leaked air all night and drained the tire.

With a big smile on my face, I made a call to the people at GoodSam. I told the gentleman that I had a flat tire and needed someone to come and fill me with air. He promptly replied that there would be a minimum $180 charge and that I had to pay that amount before he would send someone to help me.

I asked why the charge and he said "to fix the tire". I said I didn't need a tire fixed, I just needed air. He said "no tire goes flat on it's own, so we charge a minimum of $180 to repair the cause". I then explained that I knew it was just an overnight leak, that no repair was required. He repeated his $180 speech, saying that even if it was just a leaky valve - it would, at a minimum, require a new valve - thus "a repair" and the minimum charge of $180.

I then fully explained how the air had disappeared, and now that I had removed the faulty sensor - the "problem" was resolved. Dude reinforced the required $180 payment before he would send someone out.

I said I could probably get a tow truck to come and put air in for $75. He said "then do that."

Am I missing something here? Will a similar scenario play out every time I have an issue? If so, why buy roadside assistance at all? Is this a phenomenon unique to GoodSam? Or industry wide?

I can't seem to get the bitter taste of my GoodSam intro experience out of my mouth. Can someone more knowledgeable than me please point me towards a more reasonable roadside assistance provider?

Thanks in advance,
B
Romil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #54

Good Sam Scam

I too just purchased 3 years of good sams road service. I used it this fall when a valve stem leaked and set off the tire pressure monitor. Good sam charged me $650 to send someone out with a tire that cost $180 per the company that came out. Ended up just unseating the tire and tightening my valve stem. I called and they refunded some of the money. If I knew what a scam their road service was I would never have purchased it. I could have googled a service company on my own and saved money.
Michiganders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #55

My wife and I experienced an electrical issue on our coach, no brake, tail lights.
Called good sam (Platinum plan), gave all info and never got a response.
Marcus said he would double my membership to two years if I renewed. I said he should refund my first year and give me a second for free since they hosed me for the first one already.
Be careful with triple a too they talk a good game as well, but only pay the first $500 for a flatbed. Fortunately it was only a bad bulb socket.
We'll stick with fmca
Mike Genna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
Since you mention the cost to tow a DP I assume you are driving a DP? If you are driving a DP you have an onboard compressor to provide air pressure to operate your brakes, and most likely have a quick connect somewhere in the basement, usually near the front of the rig, or inside the front endcap. Carry an air hose with a tire chuck and an air gauge for such emergencies. Then you can more easily monitor tire air pressures and adjust as needed.
Bingo!
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems