Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Goodyear Endurance Inflation

Okay, I had a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires put on our 7,500 GVWR (typically 6,500-7,000 lbs trip loaded) this morning. 205/75R14. I asked them what psi they were going to set them to and they said, 50 psi because that is what is on the side of my TT. I had them set to 65 psi and the Goodyear store told me the max is 80 psi, but when I got home I went on Goodyear’s web site and looked it up. It says the max is 65 psi and that they should be set to whatever the trailer’s sticker says, in my case, 50 psi. It seems to me the 50 psi on the sticker was meant for the original tires and it just seems low for what is supposed to be a better tire with a much higher speed rating. Can you guys sort me out on this? What do you who have the Endurance tires run yours at? Thanks for your help.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, I agree it's confusing...The difference between 50 psi and 80 psi would make the RV trailer handle differently...

It might be that the RV's factory rims can only handle 50 psi...

I have the same issue with my new truck tires. (Bridgesone's changed to General's) 44 max to 51 max.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #3

I run mine at 65.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

If you want to go higher I would start by checking the maximum inflation pressure of your rims. If they are Ok I see no reason why you couldn't use Goodyear's recommendation. The trailer's GVWR hasn't changed and its the air inside the tires that supports the weight of the trailer, not the rubber sidewalls. Besides, they are made in the USA so what the company recommends must be trustworthy right?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies so far. I guess my problem is I don’t know what would be considered under inflation with them. Would I be running them below minimum at 50 psi as the trailer sticker says for the original China made tires? With those I knew that anything more than 10% or 45 psi would increase the danger of tire damage, but I don’t have a clue with these new Endurance tires.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Tire inflation pressures are based on the weight carried. All tires of the same size and load range rating will be inflated to the same pressure for the same weight regardless of manufacturer.

The 50 pounds on the placard is probably based on the GVWR of your trailer. You would do well to get an actual trailer weight (CAT scale) and then inflate to the pressure indicated on the proper inflation table.

If you're worried about under inflation then simply inflate the tires to their maximum cold pressure indicated on the sidewall (assuming the rims are rated for that pressure) until you get an actual weight. Trailer tires are typically inflated to higher than necessary pressures because ride quality is less important than in a motorhome.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #7

Okay, I think I have found my answer. I finally found Goodyear’s weight/load psi table for the Endurance tires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	208102

So I think I do need to run mine at 50-60 psi. As I said before, my trailer sticker says 50 psi that equates to 1,760 lbs. However, in March we replaced the mono springs with a bit stronger multi-leaf springs, so I’m wondering if I should run 55 or 60 psi. Since the tires do provide a bit of suspension assistance does increasing the psi put more stress on the springs? I know I am overthinking this, but my curiosity is driving my knowledge seeking. 🤪
Old 06-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

As for the change in springs don't know what a bit means but increasing the tire pressure will make it ride harsher. Increasing the PSI without increasing the weight they carry also means the tire will wear quicker in the center. Reality is they'll likely age out sooner than wear out. The chart shows what tire pressure is needed to properly support the weight on the tire. I see no reason to increase the tire pressure from what's on the sticker because the maximum weight the trailer is allowed to carry hasn't change. If you think you have to put more air in the tire because its under inflated then take your loaded trailer to a scale and have each wheel position weighed.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

I believe the OP is talking about a travel trailer so ride quality is not important. I'd just inflate to max sidewall pressure then you don't have anything to worry about. It's really not that important as long as the tires are not under inflated.

Adding a leaf spring did not increase the GVWR of the trailer.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As somebody already noted, the sticker on the trailer relates to the psi for the OEM tire size & type. If the new tires are a different size or type, they will likely utilize a different psi for the load (weight on trailer axle). If the new tires are the same size, the psi on the sticker will be suitable for them.

A tire with a higher load range but the same size & type will not require a higher psi. It can handle a higher psi if needed, but it does not require it if the actual loaded weight remains within the lower range.

Changing springs does not by itself alter the load on the tire. Only carrying more or less weight in/on the trailer does that.

In most cases, trailer tires should be inflated to whatever psi is needed to support the trailer axle max loading, known as the GAWR, but if you have scaled weight that shows it is substantially different, go with that. If you only have axle weight rather than individual tire weights, divide the axle weight by 2 and add 10% of so in case the load isn't equally balanced (one side is heavier than the other). Then look that number up in the inflation table for that tire. That's the minimum psi needed, so 5 psi more is a good idea.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
Okay, I had a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires put on our 7,500 GVWR (typically 6,500-7,000 lbs trip loaded) this morning. 205/75R14. I asked them what psi they were going to set them to and they said, 50 psi because that is what is on the side of my TT. I had them set to 65 psi and the Goodyear store told me the max is 80 psi, but when I got home I went on Goodyear’s web site and looked it up. It says the max is 65 psi and that they should be set to whatever the trailer’s sticker says, in my case, 50 psi. It seems to me the 50 psi on the sticker was meant for the original tires and it just seems low for what is supposed to be a better tire with a much higher speed rating. Can you guys sort me out on this? What do you who have the Endurance tires run yours at? Thanks for your help.
Your new tires are the same physical size as the OEM tires. Therefore, they use an identical load inflation chart. The higher load range allows increased inflation pressures to provide carrying loads greater than the lower load capacity rating.

Inflation pressures for tires using the load range lettering system are standardized for each load range’s maximum load capacity. Such as LRC = 50 PSI - LRD = 65 PSI and LRE = 80 PSI. The GY Endurance ST205/75R14 is only provided with a LRD.

The basic rule for replacement tires is to insure they provide a load capacity equal to the load capacity the OEM tires provided at tire placard recommended cold inflation pressures. Your replacements do that at 50 PSI.

I’m sure the tire installer was following SOP by not exceeding your placard pressure with the replacements. That’s what their taught to do. And, before you increase the inflation pressure you need to make sure the valve stems are rated for the higher PSI. They are almost always the “weakest link” with replacements that size.

Old school for ST tires is to insure they are inflated to the a cold inflation pressure equal to what is on the sidewall for maximum load capacity. The benefits out weigh the pit falls. However, you’re using a newly designed tire that may only need 5-10 PSI above the 50 to provide its best service and give you adequate load capacity reserves.

IMO the original wheels are OK for the higher PSI as long as they do not have a PSI limit marked on them. Their load rating was selected by the trailer manufacturer. Therefore you cannot overload them without overloading the trailer. Both of those events are no, nos.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #12

Goodyear Endurance Inflation

Okay, gentlemen, thank you for all your input. Very valuable! Since I have not weighed my rig and yes, I should/will do that, I have done the following, using Goodyear’s load chart for the Endurance tires. I am aware it is not exact, but an approximation. BTW, I did have new metal valve stems put on because I run with a TPMS.
My GVWR is 7,600 lbs and using 10% (I know it could be more, but using 10% instead of 12% puts more theoretical weight on the two trailer axles). So, 7600 x 10% = 760. 7600-760=6840. 6840/2 axles = 3420 per axle. 3420 / 2 tires = 1710 per tire. 1710 +5% for safety = 1796 per tire. Looking at the Endurance load table it appears I should cold inflate the tires to 55 psi. Removing the 5% factor would indicate 50 psi. So I will go with 55 psi.
Do you agree?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
So I will go with 55 psi.
Do you agree?
If you feel better about it sure.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post