Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Have GY tires. Front right tire is wearing strange. The second tread is wearing on an angle. It has 30K miles on it since I changed it, for the same reason. All other tires are fine.
Something isn't right. Maybe time for new shocks.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One thing I've noticed is that the majority of the "rivering" is occurring on Monaco chassis'. Even though they check out okay, it may be that the Goodyears don't like the Roadmaster chassis.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
Have GY tires. Front right tire is wearing strange. The second tread is wearing on an angle. It has 30K miles on it since I changed it, for the same reason. All other tires are fine.
Something isn't right. Maybe time for new shocks.

Shocks will not wear a single tread. Sounds like alignment.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the majority of the "rivering" is occurring on Monaco chassis'. Even though they check out okay, it may be that the Goodyears don't like the Roadmaster chassis.

I had rivering on a Workhorse and a Roadmaster with Goodyears, and have seen it on Spartan and Gillig.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I had rivering on a Workhorse and a Roadmaster with Goodyears, and have seen it on Spartan and Gillig.
I've never seen it on Michelins and all the reports seem to be GoodYears no matter what chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #34
YC1

I have had two alignments, the first at about 3000 miles. New shocks at 15,000 miles along with front and rear sway bars and then another alignment at about 20,000 miles. The right front tire GY is rivering a lot at 27,000 miles. I have done four corner weights and tire inflation since the beginning.

Don I suspect you may have a hunch the wandering issues with the Roadmaster chassis could be a contributing factor. These tires have never been rotated but I have not seen any suggestions to do so on these. In any case, two new fronts this Spring and they won't be these.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I've never seen it on Michelins and all the reports seem to be GoodYears no matter what chassis.
No rivering on Michelin. Only side wall cracking that Good Year doesn't have.

My 9 year 6 month old G670's on a XC Freightliner chassis have some rivering on all 6. But has not caused any problem. I will be replacing them in 6 months probably for another set even with their high price. Sometimes paying more to last longer is cheaper.

I won't trust any Michelin side wall cracking to last for 10 years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Got Michelins 60k mi.and have rivering.Dealer gave me a handout showing various wear patterns and the fix for them. There was no fix ror rivering. Tech.thought it may be more common on the rigs with a higher proifile
Old 10-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #37

I have a 1998 Monaco Executive and have always liked Michelins. I had rving as early as 10,000 miles for several years, and had to replace the tires as early as 15,000 miles. I've had the coach into two different shops and both said the front end parts were good and the alignment was spot on. I didn't know what to do. Last fall while visiting a cousin, her husband, a semi-truck owner and operator told me it was not the RV but the tire. He said a lot of trucks have the problem, not all but quite a few. I think it's the same with our RVs. He recommended Goodrich so I put a set on the front. We drove from Ohio to Maine, and then down the east coast to Florida and to Texas, then to Alaska for the summer. We're back in California now and I have over 25,000 miles on the Goodrich tires and they still look like the day they were installed. I think my problem is solved. And the Goodrich tires were less expensive.

There is also a difference in steering and ride. The ride is softer and it doesn't pull to the right all the time. I had to get used to driving it all over again.

Why can't two of the biggest tire companies in the world figure this out?

I have Michelins on the pickup truck and will still buy another set for it, but never again on the MH.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

The wear that Gorlininc is seeing is classic rivering, also know as "erosion". Alignment won't fix it, but it is not considered a wer issue either. The tire won't fail because of it and he should get the full expected life (years and miles) from it.

The graphic linked below shows this wear and the diagnosis. Some tires get it on each rib, but on the GY's it is typically just one.
Irregular Tire Wear Guide
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing front my GY's tomorrow because of excessive rivering. They started about 5000 miles and now have 21,000 over 2 1/2 years. Rears appear fine but the fronts are scary.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #40

I got 30k out of my Goodyears. Replaced due to rivering issue. Went with Hankook and now have 7k miles with no wear issues. However, I had a pull to the right, alignment checked OK. Shop swapped the two front tires L to R and R to L and issue went away. No more Goodyears for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Unjustified paranoia, I think, but if you are uncomfortable with a tire, by all means replace it. Peace of mind is important!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #42

Gary,
“Unjustified paranoia” I really can’t help myself here, I as well as several others committed on this post and tried to give constructive advice on our experiences with the problem. I take extreme issue with someone telling me I have unjustified paranoia when I’m just trying to save some money with a tire problem and help others with the same problem do the same.

I did say this problem doesn’t exist on all motor homes. Obliviously it doesn’t affect a 2004 American Tradition and probably won’t affect many other cheaply designed chassis such as those first used on the Conestoga wagon.

Peace of mind is important though.
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote