Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Google Maps......

I am hoping to one day full-time and love to read the blogs of full-timers. Today I am reading the blog of a couple who, in 2006 stayed in Yuma for the first time. Now I lived in Yuma three times for a total of 8 years.

Anyway they mentioned a pizza place, that friends recommended and they loved it. That was my favorite pizza place, that I went to all the time and they had a google map link in their blog. From there I went over to where I used to live. I sure did not expect the Google would have street level view of that little trailer park. The did. In a few key strokes I was looking at the trailer house that I put in back in 1985. The tree that I bought mail order and I planted, as a sapling, now full grown. The trailer, and the full length attached awning, that I put up looked exactly the same. What a strange sensation.

Somewhere along the way, someone had put concrete over the grass beds and looks like three of the other saplings did not make it.

It was a "new" park, when I bought the lot, and Apache Tears was the final street in it. Now it was full and the only difference was the bushes and trees all grown up.

Like I said, it was so strange to be sitting in my house, in WA state looking at my old home in Yuma, AZ. Wow, what a small world with the Internet!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try a feature called "Birdeye View" Some of the real estate companies have them on their website, I'm not sure about Google. But it lets you view your house or campsite from 4 different angles from the air. ReMax calls it "ballon view" Just pick out a property close by and drag our mouse over to the location you want to view from the air. I have used it to see if a campsite is shaded or not, or how close to a building or river it is.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

MSN maps has the Birds Eye view
RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Microsoft Maps is now part of http://www.bing.com/maps . They do have birds eye views. I personally think they are a little better in detail.

Anyhow, try this: In either map service, type in your famous city in the "Search Maps" pane. Once your city has come up, type the word pizza, or any other suitable word you an think of, and click on search. Works for Mexican Restaurants, and I use it almost exclusively for "rv park," "campground," "rv resort," etc to make my route selection a little easier.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Microsoft Maps is now part of Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible . They do have birds eye views. I personally think they are a little better in detail.

Anyhow, try this: In either map service, type in your famous city in the "Search Maps" pane. Once your city has come up, type the word pizza, or any other suitable word you an think of, and click on search. Works for Mexican Restaurants, and I use it almost exclusively for "rv park," "campground," "rv resort," etc to make my route selection a little easier.

Happy trails.
Thanks Wayne,
That's a very useable tip.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post

Like I said, it was so strange to be sitting in my house, in WA state looking at my old home in Yuma, AZ. Wow, what a small world with the Internet!

Sheila
If you want to go a step further, just load up Google Earth. With Google Earth and street view you can 'drive around' the old neighborhood and see everything.

I use it a lot, especially when go to new place, like fuel station or campground. I go down each street and see the turns and any obstacles that might make for tight entry.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote