Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Got myself weighed

2019 Grand Design Imagine 2970 RL
2018 Ram 2500 Crew cab gasser

We've only had the trailer for about 6 weeks or so and 4 trips but it's now pretty much fully loaded with what we'll be having. Me and the wife, 1 dog, no kids so we can travel relatively light. I tried measuring the tongue weight a few weeks back using a bathroom scale and estimated it at around 950 lbs. After our trip over the weekend we stopped at a cat scale to get an idea of where we stood. We only did the one weigh of the tuck and trailer together, we were both a bit tired and unhooking to get the truck alone was just not in the cards.

I had the CAT scale app on my phone so just pulled up on the scale at a Love's Travel Center, opened the app, put in the scale number and a minute later had the weights and was back on the road.

So first, the numbers I know from the truck and trailer documentation and door stickers:
Truck GVRW: 10k
Front GAWR: 5500
Rear GAWR: 6500
Max Payload: 3021

Trailer GVWR: 8995
GAWR: 4400 (2 axles, 8800 total)
UVW: 7624
Hitch weight: 778

And the grand finale, the CAT weights:
Steer Axle: 3920
Drive Axle: 4820
Trailer: 7140

The only thing I can't figure is the pin weight but given that all the other weights are well under the max rating, unless we're horribly mis-weighted, it should be fine. This is with a full tank of gas and some water in the fresh tank. I was 99% sure we'd be under any max rating given that it's just the two of us, just wasn't too sure how much wiggle room we'd have. It looks like we still have quite a bit of buffer which is great.
Perrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

What's with the uvw of the trailer being 7624 and the loaded cat scale weight of 7140 I would think it would be the other way around, it should be heavier after you load it.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
What's with the uvw of the trailer being 7624 and the loaded cat scale weight of 7140 I would think it would be the other way around, it should be heavier after you load it.
Jay D.
I'm assuming that UVW is the entire trailer, including the tongue weight. The axle of 7140 + 1000 or so tongue would be 8240 total.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
Jay D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrien View Post
I'm assuming that UVW is the entire trailer, including the tongue weight. The axle of 7140 + 1000 or so tongue would be 8240 total.

YES......
UVW is total trailer weight (dry) as it left factory

Trailer CAT scale weight of 7140 is JUST trailer AXLE weight.

Your one set of weigh numbers show you are under all ratings......but that is all
With a bumper pull you need 3 weighings to get the whole picture

Truck Trailer WITH WDH
Truck Trailer W/O WDH hooked up
Truck only

Then you can figure 'tongue' weight and how much weight is being transferred to truck front axle AND/OR how much should be transferred
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Your one set of weigh numbers show you are under all ratings......but that is all
With a bumper pull you need 3 weighings to get the whole picture

Truck Trailer WITH WDH
Truck Trailer W/O WDH hooked up
Truck only
Yeah, those will have to wait for another trip. Neither of us had the patience to go through all that at the time.