Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #1

GPS LED speedometer has anyone tried one?

On my NewmarDP driving at night i have a small piece of white tape on the speedo cluster i usually like to cruise right at 70... i can see the the needle fine but i really can't see the numbers well and while i think i can drive anything well... I have always felt the speedo is so far down i take my eyes off the road to look at it... the little piece of white tape helps as a very quick reference point... But now i see these small LED GPS speedometers for less than $30 that can mount about anywhere that have a built in compass (i like a compass) and I thought BINGO... for $30 this could be fun.... any thoughts? thanks
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2023, 05:07 PM   #2

When traveling I often use the speedometer readout on our Garmin GPS nav screen, as I have it mounted much higher than the speedometer cluster so that I can see it without completely taking my eyes off the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steeringwheel.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	387311  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytl View Post
On my NewmarDP driving at night i have a small piece of white tape on the speedo cluster i usually like to cruise right at 70... i can see the the needle fine but i really can't see the numbers well and while i think i can drive anything well... I have always felt the speedo is so far down i take my eyes off the road to look at it... the little piece of white tape helps as a very quick reference point... But now i see these small LED GPS speedometers for less than $30 that can mount about anywhere that have a built in compass (i like a compass) and I thought BINGO... for $30 this could be fun.... any thoughts? thanks
Cruise control takes care of any speed worries.
Set it and forget it.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:34 PM   #4

Cruise control works fairly good on the interstates, but we like to drive the secondary highways where speed limits vary, and see things as we drive, not just the vast open road of the interstate highways with their quarter mile wide right of ways,
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #5

Cruise control is not always an option on mountain roads. I like to know my speed as well as my RPM and I do not like looking down at the dash especially on winding mountain roads. The RPMs are especially important to me when descending in lower gears. I have Torque Pro set up on the dash with the speed and RPM right in front of my eyes but not high enough to obstruct any view. I also have a Rove dash cam that displays speed, and the GPS, but both of those require shifting my head, not just glancing with my eyes. You can also get the new Scangauge III which has a nice bright screen and can display up to 9 things at a time, and you can set any one of them to alarm at any setting you choose.
Back when I drove my Superduty I also had the GPS set up to display the speed on top of the dash, much safer than peering down at the speedometer IMHO. To the OP I highly recommend you go for it, it's a small price to pay for added safety.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TPsprinter1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	387315   Click image for larger version

Name:	TPsprinter2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	387316  

bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:21 PM   #6

My phone GPS app works well and most of the time GPS speed is displayed on Google maps which I am navigating off of.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'll start by saying that when we had our pontoon boat, it came with a GPS speedometer. What an improvement. We had three boats prior to the pontoon that used a water pickup for speed. They were so inaccurate.

The LED GPS sounds like a good idea if you really need it, but how much do you drive at night. At 70mph I think most are using cruise control. Others talk about not using cruise control in the mountains, but most aren't doing 70mph and the cruise control isn't on.

On ours, I can see the dash, but you do have to look down. It's also showing on our Kenwood/Garmin radio/nav unit.

Like noted above. I run the VMSpc engine monitoring software and have a laptop displaying all my info including speed.

Name:	20230201_105304.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	387318
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytl View Post
I bought one and it works fine at night, but not very easy to see in bright sunshine. Seems fairly acurate also.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:23 PM   #9

Google GPS speedometer start at about $30. A few rise out top of dash like speed bump. You would want decent control of brightness.
Torque pro as glass dash for gasser looks great, Bluefire is option for Cummins.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:14 AM   #10

Download Ulysse Speedometer Pro from the app store for your phone or tablet (see photo). This app will provide a good daytime and nighttime source for your exact speed. The daytime screen is shown in the second photo, there is a nighttime option for that screen also. Alternatively, you can select HUD from the menu screen that comes up when you tap anywhere on the daytime screen. HUD reflects up on your windshield when driving at night. This way you have a see through projection of your speed on the windshield. Typically it works well with a windshield that has a slant to it as all you do is set your phone face up on the dash and the imagine is reflected to the windshield. Play around with the location to find one that works well. In the imagine shown the numbers are backwards, this is because the reflection of it is the mirror image which makes it right.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230307-080532.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	387693Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230307-080330.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	387694Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230307-080348.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	387695
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #11

I’ve used the SpeedoMeter app on my phone. Simple to use and nice large numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D5FADF66-C854-4CD0-BE31-7DD7B9274530.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	387696  
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, led, speedometer