Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

GPS System

I am looking to up grade my GPS system to a Garmin RV 770 NA LMT-S RV. Has anybody used this new GPS and what are your thoughts.
dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillipssr View Post
I am looking to up grade my GPS system to a Garmin RV 770 NA LMT-S RV. Has anybody used this new GPS and what are your thoughts.
I have a RV770 which I purchased in September, 2017. Not sure if it's the same as current models.

I've been very happy with it. Also on our dash is a Garmin 478. This is the backup GPS for my salt water boat but has a auto mode. I use both for several purposes and I can be looking at one while my wife drives. It's nice to have a route check and each one does some things better than the other. I do not make routes on my computer and then transfer them - I use waypoints and let the GPS create the route. I also prefer to use coordinates to create waypoints, not addresses, when I can. There is one thing which I don't like about the 770. If you do put an address in to create a waypoint or transfer an old waypoint from your computer (for example, when I copied all my old waypoints from older Garmins), you cannot look up the coordinates for that waypoint. If you put it in with coordinates, you can. Unless there is a way to do this that I have not figured out, this is a big miss. For example, suppose you and I wanted to meet up at some boondocking site which I saved prior. Without my older GPS I could not give you the coordinates unless I got my computer out and looked it up.

Other than that, it's been very accurate and easy to operate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0985.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	240309
Old 04-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #3

I have a 770 and have been happy with it.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Community Moderator

We have the 770 and have used it several times without issues with the RV.
But we were in Stone Mountain, Ga. and used it to go to supper. Well did not think about not having the RV behind us, so the 770 took us long way around because of a low bridge. If I had used the navigation in the truck would had been an easy 10 minute trip instead of 20 minutes.

My mistake, now without the RV I used the truck system with the RV I use the 770.
It does a great job, and we do use whenever we travel.
The good thing I like about it is you can input the information for your unit and you can save past trips if you would like.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

We're using the 770 as well, It has its limitations. We've had it route us 40 miles out of our way to go 4 miles before where it is questionable if an RV route. Irritating but I guess I'd rather be safe then sorry. I generally run Waze on my phone when I'm running the Garmin.

There is a setting where you can say whether you are in the car or the RV to avoid the round-about way as described above but since we do all navigation with waze when in the car we just leave the GPS in the RV.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Roughly 3 years ago our Rand McNally GPS died, precipitated no doubt by a sudden stop when it hit the floor. We were in the middle of nowhere west and the only game in town had a Garmin 770. I wasn't too concerned as many had given the Garmin good reviews.

I immediately hated the 770, in direct comparison to our deceased RM. It was much less user friendly, much less intuitive and provided much less information as we were traveling (one example being the RM always displayed the town, county and mile marker across the bottom of the screen).

3 years is multiple generations when it comes to electronics so I can't say how they'd compare head to head now. As much as I'm disappointed in the 770 we still use a 15 year old Garmin street pilot when cruising in our old Camaro.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Currently running Garmin 770 and Rand McNally RVND 7735 side by side for a 2,000 mile trip. Rand McNally 7735 wins - hands down - but has one not so glaring problem. Screen nearly impossible to see under many normal driving conditions ie. lots of outside light. BUT Rand makes up for it with many choices for audio announcements so you really don't need the screen very often. The 770 on the other hand requires all to frequent looks at the screen for critical information. Which is in my opinion very dangerous.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Going on third season with Garmin 770 and very pleased with it.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

Actually going on 4th season/3 years and it has been flawless. Very intuitive for when to change view/zoom in on lanes, etc. Can connect to your phone, receive text, and update wirelessly. We've used it from Ohio to Kansas, Minnesota to Florida, and along the Eastern coast and it has worked great.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Received our new RV770-LMT-S on Wednesday and returned it to B.B. last night as it was d.o.a. I hope this was not a indicator of things to come. I was planning on reordering the same as all of my hand held and dog devices are Garmin but may look closer at other options.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 PM   #11

I only use ours in the MH but do believe you can set up more than one vehicle profile and select MH or truck/ auto if you have another set up.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps