Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

? Gray valve

Hello,
Question 1)
So, when I open the cap to empty my tanks, gray water comes out. At one point it seemed like a lot of gray water. Today when I removed the cap, some came out also. This should not happen right? And since it does happen, is my gray valve broken- (probably not because all the gray water would come out right?)
What can I do to fix problem or do I need to call an rv mechanic? I just began full timing and I really would like to try to do as much on my own as possible so I learn more about my RV. But I’m not sure I wanna go messing around with the tanks.
Question 2)
when people talk about the valve are they talking about the valve inside the pipe that you can’t see? Not the actual handle that I pull right?
Thank you
katy722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Well valves leak and they can be fixed. Access is usually the issue because it is near the tank.

You have 3 choices:
Live with it as is
Get it fixed
Add an additional valve right at the discharge. I would recommend this even if you get it fixed. These come in bayonet fitting or glue on. I chose glue on with mine so it did not hang down too low.

If you can access your valve they are easy to fix or rebuild.

Here is an example of a glue on one,
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If it's a standard four bolt valve like shown above they are pretty easy to change and not expensive. Just do a search on YouTube for RV valves and there should be instructions.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. The valve is easy to change and most RV supply stores will carry them. Or you can live with it as it's only the grey tank that's leaking.....for now.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

Thanks so much for your help. I did watch the you tube video and Iam on it
Old 12-01-2020, 04:28 AM   #6

Another option to avoid surprises is get a clear section of pipe for the outlet. I Have a short 45* one and put the end cap on it. IF the valve leaks some, and I've had black tank gate valves leak, you can see what's there and either suit up in your hazmat and/or get a bucket ready.

Sometimes debris can get between the gate valve blade and the valve seat. I recommend in the kitchen to wipe plates off into the trash with a paper towel before washing in the sink. Most people who live in town on sewer system and that have a garbage disposal in the sink, "feed" it all the scraps. Not good for a RV holding tank. Those scraps and debris can really make the tank stink and cause level sensor and drainage problems. If it is debris, let the tank fill up before draining to attempt to wash away the problem. Might take a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39432-T...SBPN4VDC4FZEAQ
Attached Images

chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

It is probably too late to lube it but look at the picture of my valves and note the small silver screw on the face of them. Those are stainless screws to plug the holes I drilled to allow me to spray silicon into. Keeps them very smooth and only needs lube about once a year.

The Black water valve (large one), actually moves up or down as does the actual outlet. The valve on the right does not move. This is my setup of course.

My original deck hole was off centered and a real pain to use the large hose. I just cut a larger hole and installed a new deck plate/cover. Works great now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom of wet bay.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	309871  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Valves will leak. Also, depending on the length of the line after the valve, it can pool some water and it will slosh when traveling. Simple solution is to add the twist on valve as shown in post number 2. Keep it closed until you get the hose hooked up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #9

Gray valve

Thanks so much for all the helpful feedback!
Old 12-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #10

If it will fit in the area at the drain line end, that extra valve is a real mess-saver. Get one, you won't regret it.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy722 View Post
Hello,
Question 1)
So, when I open the cap to empty my tanks, gray water comes out. At one point it seemed like a lot of gray water. Today when I removed the cap, some came out also. This should not happen right? And since it does happen, is my gray valve broken- (probably not because all the gray water would come out right?)
What can I do to fix problem or do I need to call an rv mechanic? I just began full timing and I really would like to try to do as much on my own as possible so I learn more about my RV. But I’m not sure I wanna go messing around with the tanks.
Question 2)
when people talk about the valve are they talking about the valve inside the pipe that you can’t see? Not the actual handle that I pull right?
Thank you
Find one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...alves-fittings

It goes on the outlet were you hook your hose. You place this on before hooking the hose. Leave this one all of the time. It stops you getting any little prizes when you hook up your hoses.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve