Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I just heard of a great fire starter.Save you empty toilet paper rolls and fill with lint from your clothes dryer,two items most everyone has. And just think we have been throwing these items out-no more scrambling around at campgrounds for newspaper,twigs,etc.

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I just heard of a great fire starter.Save you empty toilet paper rolls and fill with lint from your clothes dryer,two items most everyone has. And just think we have been throwing these items out-no more scrambling around at campgrounds for newspaper,twigs,etc.

Dianne
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #3

We will buy a firelog (the type you use in a fireplace) and break it down with a hammer and screwdriver to about a dozen or so pieces. While the TP rolls filled with lint is good and cheap, the firelog pieces WILL burn at least ten times longer and will surely start your fire quickly. To keep the firelog pieces fresh and from further drying out, keep them stored in a zip-lock sandwich bag. For safety reasons, we no longer use the liquid BBQ starter ...I found one leaking in our truck toolbox.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not bad for a quick starter with kindling when one needs a little assistance. Usually, my "cheating" method of fire starting involves the mini-fire logs that are made for fire starting and either a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid, or a cheap bottle of lamp oil.

I usually place the fire starter in the center of two smaller logs to act as a foundation, then build a small chimney around it. Douse with flammable fluid, then drop lit match. The fluid helps get the starter going, and sometimes the kindling as well, and then it goes on its own from there.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #5

I have been saving the used TP rolls, as well as the paper towel rolls for many years and using to start fires. The group I camp with has been laughing at me for as many years. I stick a piece of newspaper inside them and thats my fire starter. They can go on laughing and I will continue to use something readily available. Maybe I'll print these posts and pass them out at our next campout. Whatever works I guess.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #6

We use the toilet paper rolls with lint, and another great one is the cardboard egg cartons, cut the little holders apart, stuff with lint and place randomly under your firewood.

Smores sound good about now!
CamperGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told that dryer lint by itself works well, but I've never tried it. Anyone else?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's another idea. Take an egg carton (preferably a card board one), put dryer lint in each hole, and pour melted wax (from leftover candles) onto the lint. Pour just enough to soak it without overdoing it. When cool and hard, you now have 12 (or 18) individual firestarters. The wax lets the lint burn longer. I usually cut up the egg carton once cool and throw them into a ziplock bag so they're ready when I need them.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
You can also take cotton balls and dip them in vaseline. Wrap each cotton ball in foil to keep them dry. Unwrap enough to light the cotton and it will burn for about a minute... very hot. \
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Her in Texas we just set our kindlin n farwood in a pile and it is so hot it sets itself on fire.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I rub two sticks together and if I'm lazy I use some char cloth as kinding with magnesium haha ----NOT - or not unless I'm stuck in the woods and my bic lighter doesn't work

I found some of the premade wax sawdust sticks at walmart for a buck each on clearance (the big package) and use about a quarter of a stick per fire. It was cheaper than buying wax and makeing my own with egg cartons and sawdust.
I didn't want to use my sawdust as the bag from the table saw is mixed with good hardwoods along with plywood and some pressure treated. Didn't want to chance the chemicals from the pressure treated and glues from the plywood as I use the wood fire to cook on sometimes.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've been saving our empty toilet paper rolls & paper towel rolls this entire year and plan on stuffing with newspaper soaked in paraffin. Hopefully this fall and winter the parks will not have a burn ban like they did the last two years. --Diane
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote