Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #57

"Too often" is a relative term

We also are 2 adults hooked up to city water. We just expect to dump the greywater tank every 3 days and do the black water at the same time. No problem. Does anyone advocate just leaving one or both valves open?
nomorervnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlee14 View Post
We are having to dump grey tank every 3 days. Just two adults.thinking we may have leak. Suggestion on how to go about finding it or other ideas? Thanks
The only way a leak would end up in the grey tank would be a leaky faucet at he kitchen sink, bathroom sink, or the bath/shower. There is no other direct connection between the fresh water supply and the grey tank. Assuming no visible drips or leaks from the faucets, you are using the water. Only you can determine what is too much, and only you can control it.

There are many ways to conserve, this forum is full of ideas.

We always operate from our fresh water tank and onboard pump. "City" pressure will push a lot more water through the pipes than the onboard pump. That would be a good place to start to see is that makes a difference.

Good luck
H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #59

Quote:
We are having to dump grey tank every 3 days. Just two adults.thinking we may have leak. Suggestion on how to go about finding it or other ideas? Thanks
When washing dishes, dump wash and rinse waters into the commode, vice down the drain. This helps clean the black-water tank, as well!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #60

Gray Water Tank Filling UP to soon

The sensors can give false readings. I agree with the other posts - what do they show after dumping? We have a simple solution RV - wash the dishes in a dish pan (not the sink) and dump the water in the toilet. It helps keep the black water tank clean. Don't take long or frequent showers in RV. Gray water tank will be full when water backs up in the shower drain. You can easily drain some grey water with a garden hose or in a bucket and dispose of it. We have a combination cap on the dump drain cap that has a fitting for a hose. Cost about $5.00. We also clean all tanks at the start of the season with the same solution used in marine industry.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #61

Couple suggestions:
Sensors maybe giving false reading. Sensor cleaner may help as well as flushing really hot water through when hooked up to sewer. Our sensors start at 1/3 full when empty if not cleaned with sensor cleaner periodically.
When washing dishes- Put dish soap on dishcloth rather than filling sink with water. Wash all dishes then rinse all rather than individually
Use military showers or fill bucket with water and wash from bucket in shower.
Use shower facilities if available.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorervnv View Post
We also are 2 adults hooked up to city water. We just expect to dump the greywater tank every 3 days and do the black water at the same time. No problem. Does anyone advocate just leaving one or both valves open?
You definitely do not want you black water valve open all of the time. The liquid will come out and leave the heavier solids to build up in there. And I've had a major build up that I had to clear and it took hours to get it right. I do however leave my grey water valve open when I'm hooked up to a septic tank and running on shore power.
rd2callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #63

OP left the building on a long answer post to the question

we can go so very long on tanks. all about usage.

leak...leak into grey tank is not happening unless drip faucet or drip shower or you ran way too much into that tank and are calling that a drip

tank size. tank use. equals how long you got. most it is all about use.
3 people. 65 gal grey tank and we can go almost 2 weeks with showers. very easy to do. but every time that water runs, brushing teeth....long shower....that extra scuzzy pot to clean in the sink.....adds up very fast.

everyone has to 'learn their tanks' in a way.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2callahan View Post
While I agree that mixing black and grey is not a great idea for health reasons, on my coach the galley sink is vented under the sink. But the shower and bathroom sink have vents through the roof. I just cleared wasp nests from each of the roof vents. But,, for the original issue. If your tank is reading full and you aren't up to your ankles in water while you are in the shower, then I would say you have faulty sensors possibly caused by oil or grease.

This is really the solution to question of full tank. Carefully add water to grey tank while watching shower basin to see if it overflows. Make sure your connected to dump site. Friends had similar problem with black tank reading full in 3-4 days. The carefully exceeded the gauge display and managed another 4 days of regular usage. Depending on your gauge you may be able to reset full tank settings.
Btw technically your under sink doesn’t vent. It allows air to enter in with a 1way valve to allow air to follow water while draining. Vapours should not vent out of the valve.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #65

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
We have a 70 gallon grey tank on our rig, but it kept showing full quickly. It was suggested to me that I fill the grey tank with clean water and a cup of Dawn. I did, let it sit for a few days, then took it for a drive then dumped. Sensors now show reality! Yea!
BirdsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Grey Water Dumping Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorervnv View Post
I agree except it is more like 3 days for grey and 4 to 5 days for black.
Dr Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP is gone.....bored to death!

I wonder about folks that have been on this forum, and others, but have 1 or 2 posts in 7-8 years? Then you never hear from them again....what gives?

Am I the only one that wonders about this??
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
OP is gone.....bored to death!

I wonder about folks that have been on this forum, and others, but have 1 or 2 posts in 7-8 years? Then you never hear from them again....what gives?

Am I the only one that wonders about this??
I can only speak for myself on this issue...
I had health problems a bit after I joined this site in 2010 and had forgotten all about it until I received the newsletter (unsolicited) in my email box about a month ago.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #69

Leave your gray tank valve open and don't worry about it. There are p-traps on all of your drains. Obviously, always leave the black tank valve closed.
gbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #70

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds to me like you just CONTAM your Gray w/ Black materials YUkkkkkkkkkkkk

Tags
grey tank, tank