Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Grey tank -- open or closed -- what do you do and why?

Up to this point in my short RV experience, I've been leaving my grey tank open. For those using the through the wall sensors there are some that believe it's less likely to have slime buildup and mess them up if you leave it open.

My routine has to leave it open, and then close it the day before I need to flush my black tank.

Recently, I've seen people talk about keeping their gray tank closed until they are ready to dump, and the two reasons most often cited is to avoid sewer gasses and sewer bugs.

So, what do you do and why? And, have you had a problem with sewer gasses (I don't think the grey has a vent like the black to vent sewer gas) or sewer bugs/gnats invading your RV from an open grey?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been out here for about 10 years now....we have always left our gray open, except as you say, before black drain and flush. Never had any of the issues you mention, gasses, bugs, etc. We're very careful what goes down the sink, no food, grease, etc. When we drain and close for travel, about once a month or so, we put in about 1/3 tank of water and 1/4 c of Simple Green to let it slosh about and do a little cleaning while we enjoy the smooth roads. Ok, that last part about the roads was sarcasm. Couldn't resist.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

The gray tank does have a vent. If you check, you will find two vent stacks on the roof, one black, one gray. I kept my gray open for years with no issues. Now, I keep it closed and dump the gray whenever it is full. There will be gunk that settles in the gray tank just like the black, just not as many solids. A full tank helps flush the solids out better. The solids decaying can smell as bad as the black tank.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

I keep our grey tank closed all the time, except when DW is doing laundry. For us, it usually means two emptying of the grey to one black. Once a month or so, when I remember, I put some Happy Camper in the grey tank. No odor problems.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

we keep the gray closed until we're ready to dump.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Up to this point in my short RV experience, I've been leaving my grey tank open. For those using the through the wall sensors there are some that believe it's less likely to have slime buildup and mess them up if you leave it open.

My routine has to leave it open, and then close it the day before I need to flush my black tank.

Recently, I've seen people talk about keeping their gray tank closed until they are ready to dump, and the two reasons most often cited is to avoid sewer gasses and sewer bugs.

So, what do you do and why? And, have you had a problem with sewer gasses (I don't think the grey has a vent like the black to vent sewer gas) or sewer bugs/gnats invading your RV from an open grey?
I used to keep closed, but now that our Black tank has a wash down system I keep it open. My galley tank I started keeping open because the handle is between the tires under the big slide. I got tired of getting on my knees and climbing underneath to open it. The main reason for leaving closed was so you could use the gray to wash the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Closed
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Ours is always closed unless doing laundry.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Closed.

Like others have mentioned, I found that the ribbed sewer hose would accumulate a bit more gunk over the course of a season when the grey valve was left open all the time. I leave it closed now and open it as needed. 40 gallon capacity grey tank on my motorhome with the tank monitor calibrated to show Full at 30 gallons so that we still have the option to fit in one or two showers before needing to open the valve.
RV2traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

Both valves open 11 months of year when FHU's are available, no issues in 6+ years full timing. Tips - No paper products down toilet and add soapy water to slosh around black tank on travel days.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #11

Closed. That said do what works best for you.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #12

Closed.....my galley tank handle is also located under the slide, so I hard plumbed it up to the front where the other two handle are and added another wastegate there......left factory gate intact so that I can flush that tank by shoving a hose thru it.....or by using the cap that a garden hose attaches to
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We leave ours closed mostly. The exception is doing laundry, as others have noted. We also generally run off the internal fresh water tank too, filling it up as needed unless doing laundry. Then again, a week in one spot is a long time for us as we are still in a traveling mode.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #14

6 years FTiming and my tanks stay closed until it is time to dump.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank