Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 PM   #15

So 'Rocky' turned out to be 'Sylvester'

Ground up guess one looks like the other

Hope the Farm Wash happens for you!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Retired from a municipal utility with 30 years of service. Early in my career, one of the guys had an early '80's GMC 2500 4x4 that he'd had modified for off roading/ mudding. One chilly, rainy afternoon, we were leaving work for the day. Bill started his truck, and there was a horrible sound. Many of us looked and saw a feral cat fall out from the engine compartment and run off. Bills engine compartment was full of cat fur. The cat survived and we would occasionally see it for a few years after. We knew which cat it was because it looked like it was the looser of a knife fight.
Later in my career, I had been promoted to a field supervisory position and assigned a "take home" vehicle for emergency response requirements. I live just inside a National Forest, and it's typically chilly in the morning and hot in the afternoon, so I always had the heater or the A/C on. Got home one afternoon, turned the climate setting from A/C to heat, and shut the truck off. Next morning, got in the truck and started to work. About 1/2 mile from my house, I started getting faint wiffs of something that smelled like forest fire. The smell got stronger over the 5 mile drive to the freeway.I hadn't seen any fires on the way down the hill, and pulled over before getting on the freeway to check everything out. Did a walk around of the truck and saw nothing abnormal. Had just finished merging onto the freeway when the bottom of the squirrel cage blower fell on the passenger floor in flames. Turns out a ground squirrel had chewd its way through the plastic grid covering the air intake in the engine compartment and tried building a home inside the blower. That squirrel didn't have more than 9 hours to do the damage it did.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #17

I once had a bird lay eggs in the cup holder on my John Deere. We couldn't use it until the hatchlings fledged. Fortunately, no casualties.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #18

Ground squirrel...
gawd I love a good pun!
Old 10-03-2022, 04:26 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Throw few handfuls of lime on critter remains to keep smell down for the near future. It will get better to deal with in few weeks.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #20

Down here in southern GA where we live, they have a recipe for squirrel. Also works with posseum, rabbit and any other road kill you find.

Take one squirrel (road kill, shot, trapped is ok) and skin. Debone (if you can). Place squirrel in food processor and grind fine, adding vegitable oil to add liquid. Mix in mushrooms, hot peppers (to taste) and 2 shots of moonshine.

Make into a loaf and put into bread pan. Place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until too hot to stick finger into (or use meat thermometer for temp of 200 degrees).

Remove from oven and pour on 1/2 can of beer, let cool. Remove from loaf pan and cut into slices. Put on slice of bread, add your favorite condements. Grab rest of beer and enjoy.

There are also recepies for stew, steak and mixed with grits. We've been at friends where we've had squirrel stew. Not bad, once you get past the fact it's rodent. And it's very lean meat.
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I was a limber 20 yrs old living at my parents home, I was out on a cold morning just getting into my red 1971 El Camino (how I miss that car/truck!). Looked over and saw the neighbor in his big Chevy Capric starting it. A loud banging & hidious meowing came from his engine compartment. He shut it off immediately and opened the hood.

His wife's obnoxious and ugly tabby, Ginger, was now corsely ground ginger. He looked at me, sad look at first, then a hint of a smile came to his face. He hated that cat. He went back into his house to inform his wife of the cat’s demise. She was the only one who liked that cat. I left before her wailing started. Learned later she made more noise and a lot longer than the cat did. Rest of the neighbors silently cheered.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:37 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
reminds me of years..............ago when my brother in law chopped his cats tail off with the fan blade in his station wagon. That cat was always a good topic of conversation for a while and it lived along time.
Years ago we had a 1st generation Toyota van towed into the Toyota dealer I wrenched at. Repair order said "customer states van made a screeching thumping noise when started this morning". The mechanic next to me had the honor of getting that job. Tangled up in the fan was a small kitten with most of its tail chopped off. We managed to carefully remove the kitty and remove what was left of its tail that was hanging on by a thread.
He nursed "thumper" back to health and that cat lived a long healthy life, but wouldn't go anywhere near a car.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I hear they taste good, but a little fatty. Do the cleaning and when you're done, set a pot on the stove with water. When your wife asks why....tell her you're making squirrel soup.
Don thats funny!!
Ecuador Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, did it taste like chicken or not?
Old 10-22-2022, 01:57 PM   #25

A few years ago, when starting the rig and walking around the rear (rear radiator unit) there would be a terrible smell. Checked for black tank leaks, etc., nothing. Took to Freightliner for service and asked them to check for the smell, service advisor said probably a dead cat between the radiator and A/C or CAC. Sure enough was a dead cat. So, $900 dollars later no smell and clean radiators.