Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's not a good way to start a weekend, but it could have been much worse.

You just never know what another person is going through that could make them act like that. He may have just lost his job, had a family member die, or who knows what! His offer to help you hook up may have been an effort to reach out to you. Unless his is downright hostile, I would make an effort to be friendly towards him, maybe ask him over for a cup of coffee or something, and just see how he responds. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
2x what Joe said.I was camping a few years back and meet a person that I thought was a real pain.Came to find out he was upset with himself.He had lost his wife and could not understand why god took her away;They had only been married 3 yrs.So you never know what someone is going thru in life.Turned out to be a very nice person once we got to know him Just going thru a loss in his life
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #31

BTW/My brother lost his wife to MS last year and he was the biggest [moderator edit] in the world. My younger brother told him to get on with it and he seems to be adjusting a little but needs to clean his house of her and move on. Life is hard, I'm a Vietnam Vet and I try really hard to keep a happy face and there are times when I feel like I did'nt do enough for those who didn't make it. it can put me in the doom and gloom mode but I try to find fellow Vets. Lots of them out there. [moderator edit]
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
BTW/My brother lost his wife to MS last year and he was the biggest [moderator edit] in the world. My younger brother told him to get on with it and he seems to be adjusting a little but needs to clean his house of her and move on. Life is hard, I'm a Vietnam Vet and I try really hard to keep a happy face and there are times when I feel like I did'nt do enough for those who didn't make it. it can put me in the doom and gloom mode but I try to find fellow Vets. Lots of them out there.
Thank you for your service
nevercamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #33

Thank you for all the responses! I really like this forum, and each time I take out my new toy it makes me feel like a kid on Christmas day! I can't wait to start putting in my ATVs in there. You are all helping me enjoy learning about RVing.

To add to my last comment regarding possible differentials: --suicidal ideation, low T/ impotence, general anxiety disorder. One of my nicest and most compliant patients who breeds poodles happens to be a convicted murderer. It actually made out to be a fun little game for my wife and I coming up with these while setting up camp. I should call it the "What's your problem? Game".

Yup, the FIRST thing I teach my medical students and residents is to RESPECT and to NOT JUDGE your patient no matter what. Treat them well and they'll be compliant AND respect you. Anyone could be carrying a variety of hidden weapons. No way I'm gonna offer alcohol and add to that terrible mix. I respect this guy, or "grumpy camper" as my wife calls him, I'll leave him alone. (I had other colorful adjectives to more accurately describe the guy and the incident, but I like this forum too much to be kicked off. Keeping it family friendly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by b22mundo View Post
One thing I learned from 7+ years (so far) of practice and treating thousands of patients is that you canNOT quickly judge. Believe me, my wife (breast cancer research physician) and I named off ALL the differentials, including recent family death, a terminal condition, social personality disorder, and what not. Also, some of my schizophrenic and substance abuse patients own dogs, so those may be possibilities as well.

BUT we're OFF work. I tried to be friendly. If you get irritated because you have to move your tow vehicle out of a campsite that's not yours and PRETEND you want to help, I won't be grabbing a beer for you and offer medical advice for your problems. Too much alcohol is unhealthy anyway
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #34
doc

Appalachian Campers
I failed to see grumpy in the man's "great" and offering to help you hook up. Relax a bit and don't be so sensitive. It may take a 'hi, great day isn't it?' You might be reading more than was there and expecting more deference than you thought you deserved.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happend to me as well in Las Vegas.. Well the site next to the one I had reserved was free so I parked there, dropped the towed and headed over to the office (some distance away) to register, told 'em what happened.. They told me the site I was on was free and to go ahead and use it.. Security told him to move his truck. I like the idea of letting them be the bad guys.. I liked that lot too.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's one for ya. Early last fall the wife and I were camping mid week in an Arkansas state park. Had it to our selves mostly and really enjoying it. Come Friday evening two sites away an older couple ( not as old as I am ) pull in and start setting up a huge tent. Which is just fine with me. But then he breaks out the gas powered leaf blower. WHAT!!
Just call me GRUMPY.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Other then the comment "oh great" and the lack of smiles and chatter from him, one should conclude that the neighbour is grumpy? And he even asked you if you needed help? and from that inquiry he is branded grumpy and is someone to be avoided? Is there something I missed? I think you were being oversensitive. I don't see it. Maybe the fellows solo and quiet is because he recently lost his partner, or he's suffering a medical condition. The quick to judge and avoid routine doesn't work for me when I'm camping. I bet if you tried to talk to your neighbour, maybe offering him an adult beverage or soda he would have eventually come around.....Maybe he's shy? Usually folks with dogs are good people, especially when the dog is well behaved and friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I'll offer a devils advocate response.

I speak from experience and it has taken me time and seasoning to not be quite so judgmental. One thing it has brought me is the chance to meet many people who on first meeting seemed stand offish even unpleasant but after a trifle effort on my part I found them later to be quite interesting and enjoyable.

I had a hard time discerning why this was such an issue. He made offers to help which you rejected. You avoided him; not the other way around. Using facial contortions and voice inflection to make such a determination about a person is fairly superficial.

Frankly, my assessment is you squandered an opportunity to know him better. You may well have been pleased and surprised by what you found under a gruff exterior.

If his dog was friendly and not harbored by him away from you that says something about him that to my way of thinking is more positive than your reflections.

When you tie this discussion to your occupation it makes me feel you may be a tad too impressed with yourself at this time in your life to be entirely charitable to others. I know I have been there, I like where I am now.

Experience is a dear teacher, much to be learned from your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's not a good way to start a weekend, but it could have been much worse.

You just never know what another person is going through that could make them act like that. He may have just lost his job, had a family member die, or who knows what! His offer to help you hook up may have been an effort to reach out to you. Unless his is downright hostile, I would make an effort to be friendly towards him, maybe ask him over for a cup of coffee or something, and just see how he responds. JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Exactly. Also, some people want to be left alone. Oblige them.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by b22mundo View Post
One thing I learned from 7+ years (so far) of practice and treating thousands of patients is that you canNOT quickly judge. Believe me, my wife (breast cancer research physician) and I named off ALL the differentials, including recent family death, a terminal condition, social personality disorder, and what not. Also, some of my schizophrenic and substance abuse patients own dogs, so those may be possibilities as well.

BUT we're OFF work. I tried to be friendly. If you get irritated because you have to move your tow vehicle out of a campsite that's not yours and PRETEND you want to help, I won't be grabbing a beer for you and offer medical advice for your problems. Too much alcohol is unhealthy anyway
Well....theres not much more to say...good luck with your RVing...may every grumpy RVer you meet have a friendly dog.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #39

Try this; walk to the front of your campsite, Look left, look rt. If no grumpys then tag your it
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We tend to forgive ourselves when we are grumpy but have less patience with others when they are having a bad day. I twisted my ankle over the weekend and I am in constant pain for a while. I admit I am not my usual cheerful self. You don't know what is going on in that guy's life that is causing his attitude. Recent death of a spouse? Can't pay bills due to a medical emergency? Just found out he has cancer? Fully agree with Outofdodge's "No one is allowed to get in the way of me having a good day" philosophy. If someone else is having a bad day and I can help in any way, I will. Otherwise, I just go on about enjoying my good fortune to be able to enjoy this camping life!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #41
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
“Oh Great” is better than “The goes the neighborhood.”.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead_Rider1 View Post
Here's one for ya. Early last fall the wife and I were camping mid week in an Arkansas state park. Had it to our selves mostly and really enjoying it. Come Friday evening two sites away an older couple ( not as old as I am ) pull in and start setting up a huge tent. Which is just fine with me. But then he breaks out the gas powered leaf blower. WHAT!!
Just call me GRUMPY.
Wow! Really?!
Add ear plugs to my checklist.

Tags
campground