Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns
I went to Canada last week & in Canadian Border Inspector asked me if I had any weapons on board? I said no. He then asked me you mean you came all the way from Oklahoma without a weapon? I again said no. Sounded like he was baiting me. It was well hidden!
I was disappointed to read that you would bring your weapon in to my country.
I clearly understand you have the right to bear arms in your country and do so for your and your families protection. Unfortunately that right ends at the border.
I hope that was a momentary lack of disrespect for the laws of my country on your part won't be a reoccurring event when you visit Canada.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
I clearly understand you have the right to bear arms in your country and do so for your and your families protection. Unfortunately that right ends at the border.
I hope that was a momentary lack of disrespect for the laws of my country on your part won't be a reoccurring event when you visit Canada.

I'd be willing to bet you should be disappointed with a heck of a lot more US citizens. Your border ain't exactly know for their high security.

Funny thing is I buy ceramic knives with plastic knives from Canada. They are used for handling explosives since there is no metal. As a byproduct they won't trigger a metal detector, either. But the maker drives across the border so he can ship them here by UPS.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns
I went to Canada last week & in Canadian Border Inspector asked me if I had any weapons on board? I said no. He then asked me you mean you came all the way from Oklahoma without a weapon? I again said no. Sounded like he was baiting me. It was well hidden!
All fun and games until you get slapped with a few felonies for thinking their laws dont apply to you...
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Smuggling a weapon into a country illegally is totally irresponsible and you deserve the full punishment under the law.

Personally I think you ( toneumanns) need to be banned from this site.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser

I'd be willing to bet you should be disappointed with a heck of a lot more US citizens. Your border ain't exactly know for their high security.
Point taken.
Since we share the longest border between two friendly countries. I hope the security never gets to a place where everyday travel becomes impossible to do.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Smuggling a weapon into a country illegally is totally irresponsible and you deserve the full punishment under the law.

Personally I think you ( toneumanns) need to be banned from this site.

Ken
Well said. I agree with you Ken. It is paramount that ALL laws are respected and obeyed. As well as cultures and traditions.
Dano
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #49

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yep, Canada IS a foreign country, you are subject to their laws while there. If you can't abide by their laws while there then don't go there. That's what we elect to do. If you smuggle weapons in and are caught then expect to have your vehicles impounded or totally seized and spend time in their jails/prisons. You have violated their laws and US law can't help you. Might be legal here to carry a weapon, but not there (at least till they change their laws to match ours!) They're awfully close to repealing the long gun requirements but haven't seen the light yet on handguns.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorloser View Post

Funny thing is I buy ceramic knives with plastic knives from Canada. They are used for handling explosives since there is no metal. As a byproduct they won't trigger a metal detector, either. But the maker drives across the border so he can ship them here by UPS.
Hi, Major Loser

Is your above post meant to convey an assertion that Canada is some kind of portal for Terrorist Bombmaking paraphernalia?

If so, I find your willingness to say that even more disturbing than some folks' casual contempt for Canadian (and American) Law.

Francesca
Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #51

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mr_D
Am I correct to assume you never visited Canada?
My apologies to the OP for temporary hijacking his thread
Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
For a $25.00 fee the Canadian border guards allow me to register my shotgun and certain rifles every year when I travel to and thorough Canada. I do it twice a year. Adds no more than 15 or 20 minutes to the crossing process.

I would never consider lying to the customs/border agent. No need to, simply comply with Canadian law, declare your weapon, pay the registration and all is good. Rarely do the Canadians want to inspect my rig but if they do they will find that I have not lied and have declared any and all weapons. For a measly $25.00 seems silly to face prison time. Not to mention I prefer to obey the law, theirs and ours.

Those of you that choose to break hand gun laws, make it much easier for those that argue for increased gun control. It's shows us to irresponsible. Just like a few bad campers in store parking lots can ruin it for other campers, irresponsible gun owners can ruin it for those of us choose to carry legally and responsibility. Again $25.00 and 20 minutes of your time, no issue. Just don't take a pistol.

No need to slander our Canadian neighbors. While I don't always agree with their politics, they are their politics to defend. Just as we (well most of us) passionately defend our constitution. Abide by their laws as we would expect them to abide by our laws.

If you are coming to Alaska and want a hand gun for protection then do as the rest of us do. Ship it from an FFL dealer in the lower 48 to an FFL dealer in Alaska. Typically you pay a transfer fee of $15 to $50 each way, depending on how well you shop it.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club

Well said, Dennis.

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Well said, Dennis.

Thanks!

Francesca

And I'll say x2 on that Dennis. Why gamble, I have spent three years of my life as a military policeman and one year as a civilian jail guard. I love having the right to carry, but only where it's legal and I always carry concealed. Ya' don't every want to be on the wrong side of the badge or the cell bars.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee

Not true about Canada. I travel through Canada twice a year, have to living in Alaska. While they do not permit hand guns they do allow shotguns and some rifles (wouldn't try to take my AR15 through, too many "evil features"). You declare them at the border and fill out a form and pay $25.00 to register. The registration is good for 2 months. Wish it was good for 6 so I wouldn't have to pay on my return trip. I have never had a problem with the process. Adds about 15 minutes to the crossing.
This is good to know, thanks. I am thinking the shotgun would be our best 2nd defense anyway, with the dogs being our 1st. I worry about theft of a handgun stored in the RV.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mr_D
Am I correct to assume you never visited Canada?
My apologies to the OP for temporary hijacking his thread
What has that got to do with anything? I already said we choose not to go to Canada for that reason.
Closed Thread