Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
We were next to someone during some of our 10 day VT vacation, that was a past full time service, now National Guard person, who is able to rent through a service organization, a pop-up for only $10 for a weekend. If he had the correct hitch, the rental could have been a regular pull along trailer. What a great thing for our service people, to be able to rent so cheaply. He said it's a regular service rental place, and there isn't much he can't rent (log spitter, floor polisher, trunk grinder, canoe, etc). Just in case any families of IRV2ers are eligilble for this, and don't know about it, I thought I would post it.
Doris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
We were next to someone during some of our 10 day VT vacation, that was a past full time service, now National Guard person, who is able to rent through a service organization, a pop-up for only $10 for a weekend. If he had the correct hitch, the rental could have been a regular pull along trailer. What a great thing for our service people, to be able to rent so cheaply. He said it's a regular service rental place, and there isn't much he can't rent (log spitter, floor polisher, trunk grinder, canoe, etc). Just in case any families of IRV2ers are eligilble for this, and don't know about it, I thought I would post it.
Doris
Old 07-11-2005, 03:57 AM   #3

It used to be through the organization called Special Services when we lived on Ft. Ord in the early seventies. We used to rent a 17' or 19' TT with little plumbing. We used half gallon milk containers, filled and frozen with h2o, to cool the "ice box". Don't remember if the TT had electricity or not, but was minimal, if present. The week end would cost about $10 then. The TT rental was around $1.50 per day and propane use was charged at something like $2.00 daily.

All I had to do was put a hitch on the frame of our Pontiac Lemans, 350 V-8, 3 speed auto, and go. No trailer brakes, nothing like that. Camped in the Santa Clara mountains at state campgrounds back then. What was tongue weight then? I just put heavy duty Sears Shocks on the car.

Now look at how we go about it. Our TT is similar to yours.

Those were the "Good" old days.

Frank
Frank P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #4

And those popups you used to rent can probably be found here:
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=608507
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
This pop up was new. He said the trailers are too. They've rented before, and they'll have them a couple more times this summer. I think it's great!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #6

I have a friend in the Airforce, who we are camping with during Labor Day weekend, who rents a TT when we go camping, I know it is dirt cheap, and a new unit...
Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #7

Yes, all the military services have these around the U.S. Active duty, reservists, national guard, and retired military are eligible. There is a book of all military bases with RV/camping parks. The cost is averages $10 a night and some are long-term. The Moral, Welfare, Recreation offices also rent cabins and all kinds of camping equipment. I've seen quite a few military types (retired and active) on IRV2 and would like to see a forum on here for them.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live near Ft. Monmouth and there is a large rental location on base that will rent about anything you can think of. All Military, retired and active can utilize the services. Regarding CGs I have the book that lists all military CGs and the average now for full hookups is approx. $20. I utilized the CGs on my last trip to Fla. and they were about the best you could find. I think a Military section on IRV2 would be great...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #9

This is one of the bennies of serving our great country, Lord knows they don't get many, considering what they endure. Being a retired Army guy I have a bit of experiance.
I'd love to see a forum for military as Webster suggested. I remember seeing a thread about "military benifits" and was shocked so many folks felt service members were getting something for nothing.
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TwoOfUs:
I remember seeing a thread about "military benifits" and was shocked so many folks felt service members were getting something for nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sad . . . and in reality so many non-military folks are getting their freedoms defended "for nothing" by our brave military and it's not even appreciated or understood.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
This particular post is a positive post. It's about letting people know, that may not, that a great benefit is offered. Hope to see you camping next to me another time, in an RV of some type made affordable because of your service to the US!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I agree with Doris, this is a positive thing. I belive the fine men and women who make extreme sacrifices to preserve our freedoms deserve every benefit they receive. Most importantly, they deserve our respect and gratitude.