Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Had to be illegal but definitely stupid

Was on Rt 81 south today around 2 pm when I saw a older class C not a super C with NJ tags towing a tag along trailer about 26ft using a hitch extension with a storage rack and weight distribution hitch for the trailer. And the trailer had another extension with a bike rack loaded with bikes. And that was flat towing a Dodge 2500 pickup truck with the bed loaded.

I passed this going up a hill so slow that the tractor trailer’s we’re passing him. If I wasn’t in traffic and my phone not handy due to being hands free I would hav taken a picture.

We’re is a cop when you need one. There was a very old couple driving this accident waiting to happen.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Was on Rt 81 south today around 2 pm when I saw a older class C not a super C with NJ tags towing a tag along trailer about 26ft using a hitch extension with a storage rack and weight distribution hitch for the trailer. And the trailer had another extension with a bike rack loaded with bikes. And that was flat towing a Dodge 2500 pickup truck with the bed loaded.

I passed this going up a hill so slow that the tractor trailer’s we’re passing him. If I wasn’t in traffic and my phone not handy due to being hands free I would hav taken a picture.

We’re is a cop when you need one. There was a very old couple driving this accident waiting to happen.
VSP or VASP or VHP or VAHP or whatever is prolly just glad they got through to NC. Reported and then followed a Semi that was absolutely all over the road for 50 miles or so and no cruiser ever showed before the semi finally went his way and we went ours on that same stretch of road. But you know, the 911 operator wanted us to trail him and give location updates. There were several near misses between him and the 4-wheelers. He seemed to not have been using his mirrors at all.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just when you have thought you have seen it all, there is something else out there. I've always enjoyed your pics of ol' abandoned trailers and cars too; this certainly would have been something to see! Enjoy the day.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:46 AM   #4

Crazy thing...is maybe the old guy has tens of thousands of miles doing that without problem/incident....

And yet how many others crash and burn for all kinds of reasons who buy, maintain, think, read and train to all kinds of safety levels.

After a lifetime of driving, captaining and flying helicopters professionally... one can see that often it's operator attitude and a bit of luck for everyone that seem to keep bad things from happening.

Not that I would ever recommend doing what was described, and have no clue whether it technically fell withing the law.... just not judging the old guy and definitely would keep my distance and enjoy my trip without a second thought.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Crazy thing...is maybe the old guy has tens of thousands of miles doing that without problem/incident....

And yet how many others crash and burn for all kinds of reasons who buy, maintain, think, read and train to all kinds of safety levels.

After a lifetime of driving, captaining and flying helicopters professionally... one can see that often it's operator attitude and a bit of luck for everyone that seem to keep bad things from happening.

Not that I would ever recommend doing what was described, and have no clue whether it technically fell withing the law.... just not judging the old guy and definitely would keep my distance and enjoy my trip without a second thought.
The trouble with lack of enforcement and cavalier attitudes about safety led to at least two downhill mass murders recently of people who never had that first thought before being crushed.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:22 AM   #6

Violations cannot be given for the lack of common sense. But we all have seen stuff like the OP describes and there does not seem to be any priority by law enforcement to issue violations for situation as described.

Don't count everyday, Make everyday count
Grabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:35 AM   #7

Sounds like an old couple with everything they own in the world. Maybe just give them a break and be glad you're not in that situation.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post

You say you aren't judging but then you also say you'd keep your distance. With that statement, you are passing judgement on the man and his rig. That he's posed an unsafe situation that you wouldn't want any part of.

I usually try to mind my own business but seeing something like the opening post described would be something I'd report if I came across it. Whether law enforcement chose to do anything about it is a different story but I'd feel better knowing I reported an unsafe condition that could potentially hurt someone.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen similar situations in the past. Back a few years ago before I retired, I stopped to get fuel in the car and pulled over to the side of the pat was a very old and tired looking Dodge 2500 diesel truck with what appeared to be about a 40 ft, 3-axle 5er. It had a makeshift motorcycle carrier on the front bumper with an old Honda Trail 90 strapped down. Off the rear of the 5er he was towing an older Oldsmobile Delta 88. The Oldsmobile was stuffed full and had a roof top carrier loaded up top. The car also had a bike carrier on the back with two bikes on it. This was south of Houston and the rig had Michigan tags on it. The hood was up on the truck, and he was pouring oil into the engine.

I hope they made it to their destination.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
You say you aren't judging but then you also say you'd keep your distance. With that statement, you are passing judgement on the man and his rig. That he's posed an unsafe situation that you wouldn't want any part of.

I usually try to mind my own business but seeing something like the opening post described would be something I'd report if I came across it. Whether law enforcement chose to do anything about it is a different story but I'd feel better knowing I reported an unsafe condition that could potentially hurt someone.

If you wander to the edge of your lane and you are near me I avoid you. Doesn't mean I start thinking of all the possibilities in the world....

Caution to avoid something that MAY happen doesn't mean it is an "accident waiting to happen."

I'm done...report away....it's not worth any more of me time....
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #11

Those cops that aren’t there when you need them are probably someplace else where somebody does need them.
We all see violations but Highway Patrol Officers are often few and far between. A bad wreck or a DUI arrest can tie them up for most of a shift.
But that mess sounds like a safety stop if nothing else.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
VSP or VASP or VHP or VAHP or whatever is prolly just glad they got through to NC. Reported and then followed a Semi that was absolutely all over the road for 50 miles or so and no cruiser ever showed before the semi finally went his way and we went ours on that same stretch of road. But you know, the 911 operator wanted us to trail him and give location updates. There were several near misses between him and the 4-wheelers. He seemed to not have been using his mirrors at all.
I had that same experience with a semi. We called the company number on the trailer and they called him on the phone and got him off the road!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I had that same experience with a semi. We called the company number on the trailer and they called him on the phone and got him off the road!
All I could get was the trailer tag #. Didn't want to be sideswiped by him the way he was curbing the 4-wheelers.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #14

Murder is a very strong word that implies intent. I hope you meant manslaughter.
RichH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
The trouble with lack of enforcement and cavalier attitudes about safety led to at least two downhill mass murders recently of people who never had that first thought before being crushed.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote