Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #29

Lack of knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabcon View Post
Violations cannot be given for the lack of common sense. But we all have seen stuff like the OP describes and there does not seem to be any priority by law enforcement to issue violations for situation as described.
I can tell you from the law enforcement side that if there is a law that prevents this most police officers don't know it. There would be a lot of discussion and research back at the station after seeing something like this. Maybe there will be a next time but probably not. I would hope that if they went through a manned toll booth that person would have said something to them or called for police. Unfortunately, we can no longer make a stop unless the person has given us a reason to arrest them. A ticket is a violation arrest. Otherwise it is an illegal detention.
wdgpcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 05:50 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So We were going down 75 in Florida and a guy in a prevost passed us in our "Old DP" pulling what looked like a 90 foot train. He was pulling a big dodge diesel pickup and behind that a 32 ft boat. we were doing 70 so he had to be going faster than us. Now I suppose that since He had a new million dollar RV, a 70K truck and a200K boat it was OK since it wasn't an old truck or class c. I say if a guy has the big ones to run a rig down the road with all that and is not causing me a problem or anyone else I am not going to speculate the "What IFs" or call the cops. That would just be a busy body the thinks one is doing something good. Leave the guy alone.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #31

I saw this and thought that it looked pretty cool. But is it legal? I don't know! Hope that this picture uploads correctly as I've not done this before!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW-Bus-Fifth-Wheel-Camper-Trailer.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	353443  
Old 01-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
While traveling SW on I-30 in Arkansas headed for Texas a year or so back I passed a minivan pulling a trailer with another car and a motorcycle on it. Behind the trailer was a tow dolly with another car on it. He was doing about 60 mph in what was probably a V-6 minivan pulling two cars, a motorcycle, a flat trailer, and a tow dolly. I too was by myself at the moment and didn't get a chance to get video.

I suppose as long as it's not specifically illegal it's legal.
This is a common experience near our southern border. I small car pulling 2 vehicles into Mexico. I just shake my head and get a far away as possible.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #33

Amazing thing is I see these 3 and 4 car “trains” headed to Mexico clear up here in Chattanooga, I don’t know where they are purchasing these cars, but they come through Chattanooga on I24 and take the I59 split headed south (and west).
Old 01-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #34

I see them here in Louisiana also, usually heading west on I-10, 4 or 5 cars in a row held together with make shift tow bars and straps, with IN TOW spelled out on their back window in duct tape.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Why? I used one, because I only had a 2" ball mount, and nobody had the correct 1.25" mount I needed. The adapter fit my 1.25" receiver and let me use the ball mount I had. Total trailer weight was well within the capacity of the receiver (3500lbs), the adapter (5500lbs), the ball mount (5000lbs), and the ball (7500lbs).

the whole assembly is just wrong, the smaller hitch is made for cars/mini vans that are NOT built to haul a trailer. the mounting of the hitch assembly is sub par for any trailer over X pounds. and the mount points on the car/mini van is sub par for the tong weight needed.
sure you can pull a "mini" trailer that has like a trencher (for digging a trench to put in your sprinkler system in your front yard) on it, maybe a bicycle rack. anything of more weight is asking for problems.
just wish the DOT would go after all the little cars and mini trucks like they do the big rigs.
i see lots of overweight cars and trucks every day. very unsafe on the road. and a good % of they cause a crash due to them loosing stuff.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:04 AM   #36

I hijacked all of these because somebody asked where these cars are coming from, credit to Fiesta48, MarvinG, and Issac-1 for the quotes. It is obvious where they seem to be going.

This is a common experience near our southern border. I small car pulling 2 vehicles into Mexico. I just shake my head and get a far away as possible.

Amazing thing is I see these 3 and 4 car “trains” headed to Mexico clear up here in Chattanooga, I don’t know where they are purchasing these cars, but they come through Chattanooga on I24 and take the I59 split headed south (and west).

I see them here in Louisiana also, usually heading west on I-10, 4 or 5 cars in a row held together with make shift tow bars and straps, with IN TOW spelled out on their back window in duct tape.

A lot of these cars are coming from insurance auctions, it does not take a lot of damage to total an older car, and airbag deployment can total a car that is just a few years old. And then there are the disaster cars, thousands of cars even brand new cars are total losses from floods, hailstorms, etc. and sold at auction by the insurance companies for pennies on the dollar. Here in the states the salvage titles issued when sold by the insurance company severely devalue the vehicle even after proper repair and in Mexico the vehicles have a higher economic value. Three or four of our "junkers" can represent a substantial profit and income for an industrious gentleman.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Was on Rt 81 south today around 2 pm when I saw a older class C not a super C with NJ tags towing a tag along trailer about 26ft using a hitch extension with a storage rack and weight distribution hitch for the trailer. And the trailer had another extension with a bike rack loaded with bikes. And that was flat towing a Dodge 2500 pickup truck with the bed loaded.

I passed this going up a hill so slow that the tractor trailer’s we’re passing him. If I wasn’t in traffic and my phone not handy due to being hands free I would hav taken a picture.

We’re is a cop when you need one. There was a very old couple driving this accident waiting to happen.

After the last few years of drought and fire in the western states we may be seeing more of these folks on the roads. California in the last year alone has had thousands displaced losing everything or close to it by the biggest fires in California history. Some of these people have been burned out 2 or 3 times in the last 5 to 10 years and can't take anymore. Much like the Dustbowl era, these same folks are packing everything they have left and heading somewhere "safer".
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:53 AM   #38

It is not just California, parts of southwest Louisiana have been declared a federal disaster area 4 or 5 times in the last 2 years, this includes 2 hurricanes in 2020 only 3 weeks apart, one of which was the strongest hurricane to hit Louisiana in nearly 150 years, as well as a freak rain flood event this last May with 18 inches of rain in 6 hours hitting the Lake Charles area.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Was on Rt 81 south today around 2 pm when I saw a older class C not a super C with NJ tags towing a tag along trailer about 26ft using a hitch extension with a storage rack and weight distribution hitch for the trailer. And the trailer had another extension with a bike rack loaded with bikes. And that was flat towing a Dodge 2500 pickup truck with the bed loaded.

I passed this going up a hill so slow that the tractor trailer’s we’re passing him. If I wasn’t in traffic and my phone not handy due to being hands free I would hav taken a picture.

We’re is a cop when you need one. There was a very old couple driving this accident waiting to happen.
Are you sure Barney Fife wasn’t behind the wheel???
Sorry could not help myself, lol!
Harley 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #40

Well. 1 1/4" to 2" adapters. Bought one. Installed it to discourage people driving into my plastic bumpered car. (Like the crunchy-non-slip stair tread tape I installed on the rear bumper) Until I found a Reese 1 1/4" drawbar and 2" ball for $5. Intend to purchase a 1 7/8" ball for that drawbar. Have the 2" drawbars with 2' and 2 5/8" balls. For my pickup. Need the 1 1/4" drawbar to tow a motorcycle trailer when I buy one. Rogue towing capacity is 1000#s. Just received a class action suit letter concerning the CVT transmission. And contemplating a brush guard to protect the plastic front end on the Rogue. But never intend to setup a dangerous tow setup. After working 3 years installing towing equipment at U-Wreck-it. Drove ~ 1 million miles professionally. Saw a few unsafe road hazards. Experienced a few. Decided OTR driving wasn't for me. SamG.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:14 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Hauling to much

Many times while traveling
we notice some camper have stuff or junk covering the tail lights no way people behind or beside them can see want they want too do if anything. Manufacturers putting ladder over there tail light doesn't help.Hanging stuff begins bicycle. Lawn chairs. You name it
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgest View Post
I saw this and thought that it looked pretty cool. But is it legal? I don't know! Hope that this picture uploads correctly as I've not done this before!
No, it is not legal to tie Fluffy to the door handle while driving down the road.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote