Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #1
M2D

Hail Storms

In our recent travels we have twice been in a campground when a storm hit. Each time there was a period of hail during the storms.

Our fifth wheel is set up in such a way that we can function with all three of our slides closed. It was my idea to quickly move a few small things and close the slides. I felt that at least our slide roof would be out of danger if there was any damage from the hail. We do not have slide toppers.

Would you say that it was a good precaution to take? What have any of you have done in a similar situation? We had no damage so all is well.

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #2

I agree that it is a good ideal to pull the slides in.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #3

You need to do what makes you comfortable. On our rig we can NOT access the bath or bedroom with slides in, so we leave our out. We also have slide toppers, and have been thru a couple of bad storms. While in box Elder over Memorial Day week we experienced tornados that hit in Custer State Park and a couple of them north of our location.
We pulled in our slides and headed for the Flying J truck stop next to us to wait it out. Had a Open Face Roast Beef plate with mash potatoes, green beans while sitting there waiting it out.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
There was a joke a few years ago among the people working at CSP in S Dakota. "How can you tell if a car (or truck) belongs to a local?"
It will be the one covered in hail dents from the front to rear bumpers.
Epic hailstorms in that area. We actually saw the ground covered in marble sized hail stones one summer when we were there. The BIG stones, 1.5 - 2 inch, would come on occasion but we were set up in the trees and seldom took a direct hit from any.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

We had a fairly rough but not awful hailstorm last year. I just knew my vintage vent covers, AC covers, and etc on the roof were going to be found pulverized. Not a crack. Instead a LOT of the plastic trim around my cargo doors was in bits on the ground. On both sides of the coach. I didn't get it then nor now. No other issues. I guess you never really know.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #6

Pulling in the slides was smart. Depending on the hail slide toppers would be damaged.

Even if you think you can't function with the slides in, hail storms don't last a long time. Quickly use the bathroom, grab a book and snack, pull the slides in and sit and relax. If you want to nap I'm sure you can lay on the bed with the slides in... or use the sofa. Even a rear bath could be accessed by scooting over on the bed.

Are there really RV designs where you can't use a bathroom with the slide in? I'd surely avoid that.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pull them in if you can.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

Unfortunately large hail is all too frequent in my area. A few years ago the units at the Camping World 2 miles away had severe damage to virtually every unit on their lot. No telling what happened at the KOA a mile away from them, but it can't have been much different. Almost every home had to have a roof replaced and thousands of cars lost windshields and back windows.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Been in both hail storms & tornado warnings. With both, slides were pulled in, awnings rolled up & in the case of the latter, took shelter in the cement block shower house. Take all precautions to preserve your RV & you.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote