Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #43

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Your last statement said it all. You can't fix stupid!

X 2.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
How is this not just another entitlement that MOST who use didn't earn or pay for? Society just gave it to you, a bit of appreciation might be in order.

How does this woman not get a parking spot? She gave more than all of us combined?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThisIsWhyWeStand.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	221916  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
How is this not just another entitlement that MOST who use didn't earn or pay for? Society just gave it to you, a bit of appreciation might be in order.

How does this woman not get a parking spot? She gave more than all of us combined?
Totally agree!!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #46

I can understand some frustration but am appalled by some of these responses! ALL of my injuries were caused by careless folks running red lights and hitting me. No fault of my own whatsoever. I don't wish my pain on anyone. I hope you never have to endure hearing multiple doctors saying you will never walk again. Or waking up to hear "that didn't work we will try one more time but if it doesn't work we are taking your leg." Or how about we'll it caused that dead spot on your brain so you will never recover". Next time wonder about what horrors they have endured instead of they got a good parking spot. People like me try hard to seem normal. And you can have all that money they paid me for my suffering. All $15000 minus the 1/3 the lawyer got. It wasn't worth the agony!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You do realize a handicapped parking spot is not an “entitlement”, right? It is a way to allow people access to the public space who would otherwise have to stay home. And I don’t know how you get the “MOST who use it didn’t earn or pay for”. Can you tell by looking who is handicapped? Do you have statistics that back up your view?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 10-09-2018, 12:29 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Reminds me of standing in a long, long line, easily one hour long, in New Orleans to board a cruise ship.

At one point, staff members wheeled an individual past us in a wheelchair to the head of the line. Guy in front of us said out loud in front of God and everyone, "The handicapped get all the breaks". As I was turning to address him and his obvious lack of manners my sister-in-law cut me off. She told him in no uncertain terms why he was wrong. I hadn't planned to be quite as educational as she was. Her lecture probably did more to correct his abhorrent behavior than my version would have. Pretty proud of her at that moment.

As far as people potentially scamming the system, I have know way of knowing. To me it's a bit like the Ben Franklin quote about our justice system "It is better to let 100 criminals to go free than to imprison 1 innocent man". So maybe the placard or plates are a bit to easy to get, isn't that better than being so regimented someone in true need os denied?

As a young man my father taught me to always leave the spaces closest to the store open for those who really need them. So I've never coveted those spaces. If nothing else it helps me get my 10,000 steps a day.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 AM   #50

They should make a law about handicap parking.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #51
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
They should make a law about handicap parking.
Enacted in 1990 and amended in 2008, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is for that.

Handicap parking spaces are designated by blue striping and a sign consisting of a profile view of a wheelchair with occupant in white, on a blue background. These spaces can only be used by motorists who have been issued by a licensed physician either a handicap placard, which must be clearly displayed, or handicap license plates.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #52
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laws won’t change people’s attitudes.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I'm just curious exactly how you "see" someone who has only one lung, in order to tell that they aren't handicapped? Exactly how can you diagnose disabling emphysema from afar? Perhaps you could make a fortune in the medical world by telling the patients and doctors how wrong they are to think that they are disabled. Perhaps your back doesn't hurt after 10 minutes on your feet and so no one else's can either.

Narrow minds are certainly prevalent nowadays, and you can't always tell just by looking who has one, but as soon as he/she opens their mouth/keyboard the secret is out.

I don’t think he was talking about “your” special situation. He was really upset about the guy in the big 4x4 jumping out and the other smart fellow blocking 3 spots so “you” don’t get one. So try not to get “narrow” minded on your particular situation. Some situations are obvious and those are the ones I’m sure the OP was commenting on. I don’t think anyone will judge you unless you are being obviously stupid.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #54
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Warning

This thread has gone off topic several times and has become name calling. Let's stick to the original topic.
Second request and maybe coming down to the last one.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #55

As others have mentioned, some people have issues that you just can't see. It might be mental and it might be physical. Some people have breathing or heart issues. They could have painful conditions like nephropathy. The ADA was created to accommodate people. We have things like automatic doors and dips in sidewalks that we all benefit from. I don't see how reserving a couple of parking spots to save them a few steps is a big deal. I've even seen stores that do a mixture of regular and handicapped spots. How's that for accommodating? Yes, there are people who abuse the system but selfish people will abuse any system. Why penalize the needed because of a few?

The people I find annoying are the ones who will park on the curb at a store and sit there while someone goes in the store. One time I witnessed a guy parked in a handicapped spot at a rest area while someone ran inside to do their business. How selfish to take up three spots just to save someone a couple of steps?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
So. How about those premium handicap spots at the campground?
I am not handicapped and have not used one of those level, paved, sweet spots. Just saying. And no, there is not a sign indicating a fine for using them here, plus typically there are two (both empty). I have only seen one instance of one of them being used.
Seems kinda like a waste of prime space, because how can someone “handicapped” be way out in the wilderness getting outside to explore nature? Although it does seem weird that someone whom can’t walk or whatever, yet has the strength to drive a big rv, setup camp and get outdoors in nature though doesn’t have the wherewithal to walk across a parking lot...
In FL state park CGs, if all sites are rented then HC sites are available to anybody. I think that's a good way to do it.

As to folks using HC parking who aren't obviously handicapped, I just try to mind my own business and be thankful I can park out in the middle of the lot and make the walk in. Not all handicaps are visible or readily apparent.
Closed Thread

Tags
handicap, handicapped