Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Hanging Full Length Mirror on Bathroom Door?

DW would like a full length mirror on the bathroom door of our Nash 23D. I've thought about gluing it, but with the heat here in southern NM, I'm concerned that it wouldn't hold.

What type of anchors are best to mount a lightweight mirror on a hollow core door?

Thanks!
Splat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hollow wall anchors (the kind that spread). Toggles will work too. If your mirror has a frame use "J" or "Z" clips that fit the frame. If they are too small they will put pressure on the mirror and crack it. I would put some on the sides too to keep the mirror from sliding out from the top and bottom when you make a turn.

Fred.
aog928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

Which would work better? The mirror will have a frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	315811   Click image for larger version

Name:	12b.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	315812  

Old 01-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once it's mounted I'd be concerned about the added weight to that door and if it will remain closed while traveling.

Does it have a pretty good door latch assembly?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Either "kind" will work but don't think the metal toggle ones you show will work having a 2" screw, doors aren't that thick.

Fred.
aog928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #6

Yes, the door is always shut after reaching the campsite or when we get home. Our previous TT, a small Coachmen, wasn't that way.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
No reason to choose just one or the other, personally I would use double sided tape - maybe some 3M VHB (very high bond) - AND clips with anchors like you've pictured. That's what I did when hanging a larger mirror in the bathroom that DW wanted.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to consider a high-quality construction cement like F-26.
Of course, you would have to hold it in place until it sets, maybe with duct tape.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

Podivin, we've tried different kinds of double-sided tapes. In the summer it gets very hot inside the camper when in storage, even with a cover on it. Most tapes fail I think because of a combination of heat and low humidity.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat32 View Post
Podivin, we've tried different kinds of double-sided tapes. In the summer it gets very hot inside the camper when in storage, even with a cover on it. Most tapes fail I think because of a combination of heat and low humidity.
I know the story, Florida here so plenty of heat and high humidity - as compared to your low humidity. The Mfg tape that was holding the mirror on eventually failed - took it about 7 years. That was our opportunity to replace the mirror like my wife was wanting.
That's why I suggested you use both tape and fasteners. You don't have to use one or the other, it's OK to use both. Let the tape help take some load off the fasteners. Let the fasteners take some load off the tape. It's going to be a rough ride for the mirror, you can't be too safe with it.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
US1

I assume this will be a permanent mount. You can always cut an access in the door that would be covered up by mirror in order to mount a solid 3/4” board within the door in order to screw what ever mirror mounts your wife desires. Probably 1 at top and 1 at bottom.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

I mounted a full-length mirror in our first 5er using 1/8" hollow wall anchors and the clear plastic mirror retainers. It was still there when we sold that 5er 8 years later..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I mounted a full-length mirror in our first 5er using 1/8" hollow wall anchors and the clear plastic mirror retainers. It was still there when we sold that 5er 8 years later..

X2 but you need to watch the part just under the "head". The ones pictured are for drywall. The one's you need will have a very short part under the head that doesn't spread, otherwise they won't grip. If you can't find the one's you need in this style I'd go for the plastic one's pictured above.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I assume this will be a permanent mount. You can always cut an access in the door that would be covered up by mirror in order to mount a solid 3/4” board within the door in order to screw what ever mirror mounts your wife desires. Probably 1 at top and 1 at bottom.
I don't think I'm ready to go to this extreme yet.

Tags
door