Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Thumbs up Happy, happy,happy

Spent yesterday reading post while I should have been doing productive things.
People freezing, battery problems preventing them from getting heat...one going on now and one from last year. Even somehow ended up following a link that took me to a posting from a couple that was traveling from my home state to Quartzite and back and it was from 1968. Both would post their version of what they were experiencing that day on the same page, beautiful descriptions of the good and the bad.
Drinking my coffee this morning and I read about a couple that moved up in size from a new MH to an older MH that was larger, purchased sight unseen. They purchased a junker.
So why am I so happy? I found this site and all those here to share their experiences and educate me before I jump in over my head. Nothing to scare me away, just educate me. To bad those people posting this a.m. did not come here first.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I agree. I don't understand the logic behind spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars without doing research. I think one issue is that people equate the purchase of an RV to that of a vehicle and not a house. You would never buy a house without an inspection or researching comps. Flippers buy houses sight unseen, but they're buying it to sell, not to keep.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Happy members make a Happy Forum.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Me Too... Almost better than watching a Football game on a Sunday afternoon, besides it's ZERO with -20 windchill.
Berrrr
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Eight years ago DW and I went to look at motor homes. We did have a TT to trade in.
After 30 minutes of looking we bought our motor home. Someone else was also looking at the one we liked and DW said we better get it before they do.
I had done no research, no idea which unit was better. The only thing I thought was I wanted a gas unit upon advise from friends.
Also knew I had only 37 feet of parking space next to our house.
Never heard of iRV2 which I now use to get some advice.
Just loved the auto levelers compared to the crank down ones on the TT.
After 8 years we still love this motor home. Guess we like going a lot as it now has 85,000 miles.
I just wonder if I had done some research before hand what would have happened. Oh well.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

I did research all of last year. I have found the subject very complex and forum advice pretty good within a particular mfg forum herein, but some forum advice, particularly in a non irv2 forum, that was often misleading if not totally misdirected.

There have been a lot of technological changes and some of the older experienced rvers have kept up and some have not kept up...sorting it out has been difficult but useful. I probably changed my mind almost a dozen times, though lately I have a handful of choices and that hasn't changed, so on to 2015.

The most tragic thing to me is reading about purchasing mistakes, low due diligence, lack of pre-delivery detailed review, non usage of mechanics and other technical expertise that result in horror stories.

There almost go I, except for the good graces of the RV gods and a healthy bit of curiosity before stepping off.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
Eight years ago DW and I went to look at motor homes. We did have a TT to trade in.
After 30 minutes of looking we bought our motor home. Someone else was also looking at the one we liked and DW said we better get it before they do.
I had done no research, no idea which unit was better. The only thing I thought was I wanted a gas unit upon advise from friends.
Also knew I had only 37 feet of parking space next to our house.
Never heard of iRV2 which I now use to get some advice.
Just loved the auto levelers compared to the crank down ones on the TT.
After 8 years we still love this motor home. Guess we like going a lot as it now has 85,000 miles.
I just wonder if I had done some research before hand what would have happened. Oh well.
Hal
Sounds like our story, except we didn't have a TT to trade and had never owned any RV. We were just "killing time" and decided to look around an RV dealership one sunny Saturday. Next thing we know, we own a Bounder and don't have anyplace to park it. Luckily, we have had no problems with our RV and would buy it again in a minute. Sometimes being a noob works out OK.

After being a member of iRV2 and several other RVing forums (gasp) for the past 3 years, I have to wonder if we would have bought ANY RV after hearing some of the horror stories. All the research in the world can't save you from a lemon.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Research

We presently own a 2005 Winnie Aspect 26a which my wife researched to death prior to our acquisition. We had to wait 4 months for it as it was to be traded on a not yet built 5th wheel trailer at a Fl. dealer. The Winnie has been a good unit, but my wife keeps thinking there must be a better one out there for us. (This is our 3rd RV in 9 years) Possibly more room in a smaller size ? Larger bathroom and good size dressing area and still plenty of room for a kitchen and Liv. area ? Just about the time she thinks she has found it, just like Sasquatch, it slips away into the mist and disappears. Oh well, it keeps her out of the mall. She enjoys looking and some day we may actually bite the bullet and buy a different unit, who know. The biggest thing ours has going for it is ITS PAID FOR.

Happy trails to you.
Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Good question about"what would we have bought had we done no research?" Interesting thought.

Actually we did buy our itasca navion on the spot, just casual looking...no regrets there...except we wanted larger and more comfort within 2 years. Not in to huge, just comfort.

We did do a ton of research here, thanx everyone for sharing your experiences. I may have bought the obvious next step up, a gas rig if we hadn't done the reading. So I think you all saved us from a middle size purchase! ((()))

both times we thought we got the right one at the right moment, and may have lost the RV if we had waited. I wish everyone could be happy! Hate to see the stress and disappointment!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
I agree. I don't understand the logic behind spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars without doing research. I think one issue is that people equate the purchase of an RV to that of a vehicle and not a house. You would never buy a house without an inspection or researching comps. Flippers buy houses sight unseen, but they're buying it to sell, not to keep.
As time goes on RV buyers will become more educated (I hope). It was not in the too far distant past that home buyers were snapping up properties with all kinds of problems - if you believe the renovation programs on HGTV, etc.

Motor vehicles may be a more emotional purchse than houses but I think we are a smarter vehicle purchaser than property. We get all of the advertising on TV about options etc, whereas many will only purchase one or two houses in their lifetime.

Additionally banks seem to want a house inspection as part of the mortgage process for used homes - not sure about new. Have never had a loan for a vehicle but am not aware of any requirements by the bank for a certificate of road worthiness or the like.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought our unit without so much as a test drive! We found an advert for it, went and looked at it, fell in love and went and got a check! It was second hand thru a private party, but we could tell it had been lovingly cared for. My DH is a retired aircraft mechanic, went over the engine and was satisfied that it was sound. Please note: we knew nothing from nothing!!! They say God takes care of fools and little children. We most certainly qualify as the former and were very lucky!
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't own yet

A patient and I were talking about retirement and he asked me what my husband and I had planned. I said to buy a MH and travel. We have saved for years for this and it is within 3 years.

He (the patient) suggested I come here and check things out. I did that weekend and I have learned quite a lot. I was completely ignorant and would have probably bought the first one I found.

I have asked questions, checked out old threads, and gone to RV shows. We continue to do so. This summer we will buy and use locally to get used to how to drive and set it up. I have a much better idea what I want floor plan, length, and brand.

Going to live in this in the winters somewhere warmer (we are in MI) and then store in summer until we feel comfortable enough to sell the S&B and then go full timing if we like it.

I appreciate very much having been directed to this forum. A lot of great people here and I look forward to possibly meeting some of them.

Thanks for all the advice and share of knowledge, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been sitting here musing. I hope that is the right word.

It seems that folks spend more time researching and agonizing over a RV than some do in picking a spouse.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our first motorhome was bought by looks and styling alone at an rv show. What a mistake. Built as cheaply as humanly possible and literally fell apart. Our current Bounder was purchased after much research and I couldn't be happier.