Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #57

My nephew has two of them daisy chained for his Toy Hauler. He loves them!
retrmecwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Anyone that thinks the Predator 3500 is quiet is hard of hearing. I just spent 2 days next to one
A decibel is a decibel.

Was that the inverter gen, or the contractor gen? Big difference in noise. Or maybe the exhaust was pointed right at your trailer, in which case you could blame the user.

The Predator inverter gen has the same noise rating as the same size Honda inverter gen. 60 dB is 60 dB whether it comes from a Honda or a Predator or the people talking next door.
I put a noise meter app on my phone, (you can, too) so I can tell you from experience, the Predators perform within stated noise ratings. Also, the National Park camp hosts can be real particular about loud generators. These pass with plenty of room to spare.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC3 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the $699 coupon? I would like to try one out.
Looks like that one expired back in June. The current coupon is $30 off from $799. I think I can wait until they have another $100 off coupon.
Bowtie Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Harbor freight has some awesome products... very good quality for the money.

If you think itís cheap, feel free to buy the $5000 used one...
Don't you just love these "generator snobs"? Mine has done a good job for me. Are Honda's built better, well yeah, they are. But these motors are from Honda casts. The electronics are what will fail long before the motor if you keep it serviced like you should. The guy that runs them non-stop every weekend out in the dessert while racing has the best reviews. He runs three. You'd think if they were really junk one or more would have crapped out on him by now. It's been a couple of years or more that he's run them.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:58 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
Predator 3500. $699 with a coupon. Seems like a great setup. Yay or nay?
Anyone have this?Attachment 304856
I have had one for a few years.
WE dry camp so it needs to be reliable.
This one has been.
It is amazingly quiet and my wife can rope start it easily.
But she doesn't have to. All she has to do is push a button.
Starts easy, sips fuel. Powers our A/C easily.
I would but one again in a minute.
Yeah it is made in China but I bought it before I developed a dislike for Chines made crap.

This does NOT fall into that category however.

It's a little heavy for me to pick up and put in the back of the pickup.

If that is a problem for you buy two of the small ones and parallel them.
Yeah, I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

And no I do not work for Harbor Freight.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #62

A friend has had one for several years. Quiet as my Honda, starts easy, runs good. For $50 Harbor Freight has a 3 year store warranty. They will exchange it if there is a problem. No questions asked. He gets a new one every 3 years for $50.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #63

Predator is excluded for discounts.
Very misleading. Read the fine prints.

https://go.harborfreight.com/?s=%241...ost&order=DESC

"Harbor Freight store and receive 20% off any single item with coupon code 23966380, now through October 31, 2020. Exclusions apply, so please see the coupon above for details"
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #64

I'll throw in another vote for these.

I have a 7,000 model I have used as a backup generator for a small server room. It doesn't get used that often but always works and handles quite a load just fine.

The inverter is nice on these also. High end battery backups tend to be quite picky about the power coming into them. I previously could not buy any "lower" end gen like this and get away with it. I took another stab at it 3 years ago because the price was just too cheap to pass up.

It powers everything and nothing complains about low voltage or dirty power.
autotrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #65

Harbor freight

If you are going to use it a lot then take the money you saved and buy a second one. We spent most of our time boondocking so it did get used. Changed oil every 25 hr. At 315 hr the engine sized. It was full of oil and was out in the open for cooling. I junked it and sold the trailer then bought a motorhome with a 10000 watt Onan. Problem solved.
rogerray45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 AM   #66

Predator generator

I have had mine now about a year and am very happy.
My Honda 2000 with Easy Start would not run my Dometic 13500 AC at any altitude so this unit was a perfect replacement.
No louder than my Honda and it doesn't have to run full out to power AC. I get about 7 hours of full AC.

Pathvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #67

Predator 3500

Our Honda EU3000 weighs 125 lbs. Our Predator 3500 weighs just over 100 lbs. Both are equal in noise output in Eco mode and full speed.
Follow the manufacturers setup directions.
Use Superior Oil and Non-Ethanol fuel if possible.
Run a 1/4 tank of gas with a 1500 watt load.
This allows the 3500 to break in under a moderate load.
Just a hint: put an extra key for the generators in your RV.
We got 650 miles from home and NO keys!
Took 2 pulls to start!
BigVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #68

Main reason I purchased a Honda is 1. Not made in Communist China 2. Resale value 3. Service available if problems arise
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #69

I have got to say that the others we camp with use the Harbor Freight 3,500 watt inverter gen sets, very successfully. They start easily and handle loads very well.
For the price you would be hard pressed to find as good a value.

We started out with a pair of Champion 2000 inverter gen sets. They were cheap and lasted about 4 years before having carburator problems.

We replaced them with an Onan 4,500I inverter gen set. The reason I selected the Onan unit over the Harbor freight 3,500 watt unit was that the Onan delivered 4,500 peak watts, has a much longer interval between required oil changes, came with a battery and remote start. With its larger fuel tank It could run all night and into the morning before refueling. It only weighs 100 lbs.. It came with a pair of wheels and an extendable handle, making it easy to move around. Its also very quiet, Much more so that the pair of champions. It only cost $300 more than the Harbor Freight unit.

It all comes down to doing your homework and deciding what you want/need within the limits of your budget.

Safe Travels and happy camping
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #70

Obviously some of you donít know what you are talking about. These are not throw aways or junk. Parts are available and they are pretty easy to work on. Iím thinking some of you must be the type that have to send out your pencils for sharpening, or just trolls. I donít think anybody expects these to be as good as a Honda. But theyíre good enough, and cost a lot less.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, generator