Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
A K more info on the Port-a-ports.? We stay in Lead SD, ride in Sunday, hope it cools off alittle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Mike
I have over 25 yrs going to Sturgis, I rode my old Shovelheads most of those yrs. We like to stay in Lead SD at a motel, getting to old for that all night party.
I just blew up the photo of your bike, you must be young, Ridged frame drag pipes, WOW the good old days. This year riding up with my son, It will be fun .
Old 07-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
GreatWhite 10/4 you said it all, I never thought that they sounded like potata,potata, but they do. What a sweet sound.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lued View Post
GreatWhite 10/4 you said it all, I never thought that they sounded like potata,potata, but they do. What a sweet sound.

That would be a sweetpotata, sweetpotata, sweetpotata, YAM,YAM,YAM, Varooooom!
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
You Guys are making me hungry.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbowman View Post
I am fairly new to this site and mostly am just a lurker but, I have a question. I hope I don't offend anyone. What is the obsession with riding loud Harley's through a campground?? I go camping to relax and enjoy the quiet and go out of my way to keep my family quiet so as not to disturb anyone else. Then a Harley comes by and scares every living thing running to the hills. It's not the motorcycle mind you, its the noise. I just don't understand why people find it necessary to make so much noise, NAPA sells mufflers.

Thanks for any insight
You know of course that a stock Harley is not all that loud, in fact they can be quite quiet. I know,, Several of my friends ride royal blue with gold trim stock Harleys.. Well, there are a few mods. like a very nice 2-way radio and some extra lighting, but nothing mechanical.

Last winter I was in a campground in South Carolina.. I was watching a gentleman (And I use that term accurately) pulling up the hill on his Honda Goldwing and realized... I was hearing the transmission over the engine (Ok, so it was a steep hill)

That was on QUIET bike.

Finally..... Compared to a big engined disembowel pickup ratteling away at idle and a Harley.

I prefer the Harley
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #35

I have loud pipes & believe firmly it is a safety issue. DW & I have ridden extensively in congested Metro areas, nothing gets attention better than pipes. Lights, chrome etc. will help little in being noticed, but the distracted driver texting or yakking on a cell phone or whatever usually doesn't notice untill their windows rattle a bit. The sound does project forward & all around, not just behind. My brand new 32' long X 12' high White MH was hit by a driver who "didn't see it". Emergency vehicles get hit all the time, hence the LOUD sirens.

We always try to be quiet in sensitive areas, seldom very early or late, always considerate.

At my S&B, loud pipes 2 or 4 wheeled, Boom boxes & the dreaded bass tube pass by at all hours only 15 feet from my bedroom window.

The inconsiderate are the problem. They exist everywhere doing many other things also, there doesn't seem to be a solution other than to grin & bear it. My need of a piece string & magnifying glass is genetically inherited & has no relation to the decibels of my pipes. I just enjoy a well tuned engine talking where it is appropiate.
gene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene2 View Post
I have loud pipes & believe firmly it is a safety issue. DW & I have ridden extensively in congested Metro areas, nothing gets attention better than pipes. Lights, chrome etc. will help little in being noticed, but the distracted driver texting or yakking on a cell phone or whatever usually doesn't notice untill their windows rattle a bit. The sound does project forward & all around, not just behind. My brand new 32' long X 12' high White MH was hit by a driver who "didn't see it". Emergency vehicles get hit all the time, hence the LOUD sirens.

We always try to be quiet in sensitive areas, seldom very early or late, always considerate.

At my S&B, loud pipes 2 or 4 wheeled, Boom boxes & the dreaded bass tube pass by at all hours only 15 feet from my bedroom window.

The inconsiderate are the problem. They exist everywhere doing many other things also, there doesn't seem to be a solution other than to grin & bear it. My need of a piece string & magnifying glass is genetically inherited & has no relation to the decibels of my pipes. I just enjoy a well tuned engine talking where it is appropiate.

I couldn't have said it better!

Sammie
2004 Softail Deuce
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any advantage, to be heard and seen is a good thing. Because this is the real world, morons on cell phones texting, right turns on red (no stop), delayed red lights and a thousand other distractions! So if don't mind you can leave my manhood and ego out of this and roll over and go back to sleep!

Laconia 2010
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laconia 2010.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	4819  
Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #38

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have been riding Harleys for many years. I am down to just two, a highly custom 01 Deuce and a Screaming Eagle Electra glide 04. And yes they are not stock mufflers, and yes they are sort of loud. And yes they do make other drivers aware of you, especially in traffic with cars on both sides of you.

The number one accident with motorcycles is a vechicle making a left hand turn in front of you. Why, it's because they never saw the motorcycle.

I was a motorcycle safety instructor for over 10 years in a motorcycle club with over 700 members.

Oh and by the way... I have no problem in finding or using my tool.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry Brother riders, but I cannot let this continue.

I agree that a well tuned engine can be a pleasure to hear.
Unless your noise is so loud and obnoxious that you are infringing on other people, and I don't just mean a simple distraction.
A few years ago I was driving my car on a pleasant sunny day and two open pipe Harleys blasted by me on my driver's side. The exhaust noise caused me physical pain in my left ear and ringing that persists even today. That's just wrong!

I agree that being heard is sometimes better than being seen.
BUT, your loud pipes do not project in all direction in all situations. If you still believe that they do, tell me now where to send the flowers.

Another time, I was driving my car down the freeway. Windows up, AC on, radio off. My wife was with me so we were in the far left Carpool lane. Suddenly I heard this loud piped Harley accelerating rapidly. I looked around to see where this guy was (here is where you smile and nod your head) and I saw him on the far right merging from the onramp 4 lanes away. This bike was monsterously loud! Good thing I had my windows up. The noise from the Harley subsided as he got up to speed and merged in with traffic.
A few miles down the road I needed to start moving right as I had my exit approaching. I checked both mirrors (all clear) flipped on my signal and just before I moved right one lane, I make a cursory glance over my shoulder . . . and there he was, right in my blind spot! This monsterously loud Harley was absolutely silent from inside my car at 60 MPH. Had I not looked over my shoulder I would have taken out a Brother rider. I shudder to think of it today.

Bottom line, boys - BE SAFE and Considerate!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #40

I also ride a Harley....Heritage Softail.....stock pipes....not loud...ride in and out of the campgrounds in a slow idle pace. No complaints from anyone.

But the focus here seems to be on the 'Harley'. I know many riders with all different kinds of bikes.....Honda, Yamaha etc. etc. And if they've modified their pipes to be LOUD....then loud they will be.

For me, I don't like loud pipes.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I think the bikes are loud enough when they come right out of the factory. Don't get me wrong I think they sound great when they're stock but some just have to tweek them to the point of unbelievable and my brother-in-law is one of them. I agree with the OP's comments 100% as to keep the noise down. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #42

The "loud pipes saves lives" thing has been shown to be wrong. I'd be willing to bet loud pipes has probably shortened a few lives around people who are just tired of the constant annoyance. But we have the same discussion in my hot rod club. We have a few members whose cars are deafening. Mine is not much more than a stock pickup might be.

But as the Harley dealer said, municipalities are taking steps. Ride into Denver on a loud bike, and ride out next to a tow truck driver carrying your bike back out of town, and your wallet will be a couple hundred dollars lighter. And the law is written in such a way as to apply to any overly-loud vehicle with non-stock exhausts.