Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
HH just bought Boondockers Welcome, a similar program where you boondock at private homes. The two programs will continue separately. Boondockers Welcome has a great search engine where you can select length, hookups, etc. (It’s also cheaper to join, for now). It used to be no charge to stay, though we usually gave a small gift or donation if we used electric, but now hosts have the option of charging a nominal fee to cover electric use. We’re a popular host due to our location and enjoy meeting people. One advantage of being a host is you get membership credits for hosting. The sites range from a beautiful farm with full hookups to driveways to industrial parking lots. We’ve been invited in to parties and even square dancing!

We’ve heard positive things about HH, but haven’t joined and are happy with Boondockers Welcome. Just another boondocking option.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #16

Get the membership and try it out FOR YOU. Everyone is different. The same goes for Passport America. The memberships are cheap enough to give them a try. You'll pay more staying in some RV parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #17

We've had good experiences with it. The only negative is the site conditions are not clearly stated. We were placed in a few grass fields when we had our gasser. If we had the DP we have now, I think we may still be there. Check our Google Earth and ask what the parking conditions are if you are unsure.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #18

Love HH. Just got back from an 8 night trip exclusively using HH. We planned a scenic trip around HH locations we thought sounded interesting. Each location was as beautiful and as secluded as I would have hoped. Dry camping, but that is what we were expecting and looking for.

One caveat - this is not meant to be free camping. It is understood that you are expected to make a purchase in exchange for an overnight stay. It felt like a real win-win. We purchased items we were interested in and spent roughly what an overnight stay would cost, and our host got some business they wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.

I’m about to leave for a HH experience today at a winery. Wine tasting and music. The host told me he expects me to purchase at least three bottles of wine in exchange for our stay. Such blatant expectations were not communicated by past hosts, but this small business owner said he has had a bunch of campers stay overnight, listen to music, then leave without purchasing anything. I am OK with his communication and am disappointed to hear that other campers are not being generous. It would be a shame if this program ended because of the thoughtlessness of others.

Btw - once you become a member addresses are clearly shown for every listing as well as links to the business’s website.

I have HH trips planned throughout the summer and fall and have been warmly welcomed by every host I’ve spoken to when making reservations. I like the small town feel of it.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Snip...

One caveat - this is not meant to be free camping. It is understood that you are expected to make a purchase in exchange for an overnight stay. It felt like a real win-win. We purchased items we were interested in and spent roughly what an overnight stay would cost, and our host got some business they wouldn’t have gotten otherwise.

I’m about to leave for a HH experience today at a winery. Wine tasting and music. The host told me he expects me to purchase at least three bottles of wine in exchange for our stay. Such blatant expectations were not communicated by past hosts, but this small business owner said he has had a bunch of campers stay overnight, listen to music, then leave without purchasing anything. I am OK with his communication and am disappointed to hear that other campers are not being generous. It would be a shame if this program ended because of the thoughtlessness of others.
With this type of host attitude, they need to stop insinuating that it's free!
Old 06-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
It is understood that you are expected to make a purchase in exchange for an overnight stay.
I think the word "expected" is a bit strong.

It would be nice if you can patronize the business but you in no way have to.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Harvest Hosts host locations are almost exclusively businesses. They expect you to buy something. Boondockers Welcome hosts are other RVers who provide sites for other RVers. They get free membership fo some period of time in return for hosting. Totally different approaches. I have just started using BW, and I am really happy so far.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
So we think HH is a good (didn't say great) program. We are also Boondockers Welcome members and look forward to see what they do with merging programs.

We were, underscore WERE HH members for a couple of years but really came to the conclusion that it's really not that great (For us).

Look we're winos...really I even remodeled our DP kitchen to include a built-in wine cooler so it's not about not wanting to stay at wineries. The issue for us is that by the time we typically bought a few bottles of wine (most of which were mediocre at best) it was the same cost per stay to just pull into a commercial campground and have full hook-ups

Now BW on the other hand has been amazing for us. We have met some amazing people and in many cases WE share a bottle or 3 of wine with them and hear some amazing stories from other RVers. Many do have electric available but we really don't need that except when the weather goes north of 100*...and then we gladly provide a donation to help them cover their electricity costs.

We've made some friends along the way and even exchange Christmas Cards with many of our BW hosts.

For me the result is the same in terms of staying for a night or 2 but the "Experience" for us has been Much, MUCH better with BW as it's much more personal and much less commercial
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
From the HH web site “ We kindly ask our members to support their Hosts by purchasing one of their local products with each stay!”. That’s a polite way of saying it’s a two way street.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
Really!

Go stay at a Walmart. The only reason Walmart lets campers there is because the majority will go inside and buy something. Walmart knows how much the average RV'r will spend when allowed to park, they've crunched the numbers and they make enough to make it worthwhile.

HH is very similar they know how much the average camper spends at a HH site. You are not expected to spend $ there you are however encouraged if you see something you like.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #25

You can claim all you want that you are under no real obligation to buy anything, since HH promotes the service as “free” accommodation.

However, if you do pull up stakes and flee without contributing to the host’s business, you may be among those who have prompted many former Harvest Hosts to drop the program. The end result is that your fellow RV travelers now have fewer options on the road.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #26

I bought a Harvest Host membership for our big 7 week trip this year. Three of the places I had marked for stays dropped from the program, but I still had three on our list, in fact we were able to reserve them as they were all part of the reserve online program. However, after thinking more about what I'm comfortable with, I'm putting HH and BW, which I have a membership to both, on the back burner, they will be emergency fill in locations if our plans change. I'm just more comfortable paying, getting exactly what I pay for, and knowing what I paid for is confirmed and will be there. I want a business transaction, not meeting new "friends" that want me to buy their wine. So I just cancelled the three HH sites we'd reserved, and reserved CGs. But to each their own.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have been considering HH, but I think expecting you to spend as much as you would at a CG is unreasonable - unless they are providing the same services. Not having any electricity for AC would be a challenge in the southern states.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
We have been considering HH, but I think expecting you to spend as much as you would at a CG is unreasonable - unless they are providing the same services. Not having any electricity for AC would be a challenge in the southern states.

AC is an absolute must have for me. If the host doesn’t have electric hookup then, then running the generator is a must. What is the stance on generators at most of the HH sites?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote