Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2022, 11:18 PM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
your right with a hotel tax there is money exchanged. but HH has NO money exchange. if i stay there i don't pay anything, how can they tax me? if HH receives NO money how can they be taxed on something they didn't get?
Jay D.
Activities can be taxed. There is no requirement for a commercial/monetary transaction in order for a tax to be levied.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The rumors of the demise of HH in SLO are greatly exaggerated. The following is an excerpt from the posted article:

San Luis Obispo County recognizes that something needs to change. The current ordinances were not drafted with Harvest Hosts in mind, and it’s obvious that the trend is here to stay.

On October 4th of this year, the SLO County Board of Supervisors instructed its staff to start designing a Harvest Hosts-specific ordinance. Initially a Tier 1 issue, it has since been lessened to a Tier 2. Official hearings will begin in February 2023.
Well there you go. This actually looks like good governing in action, if anything.

I can see where HH activities might be unfriendly to neighbours with RVs rolling in and out every day, etc. In any case, it's good to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, legally speaking, if your business depends/benefits from it.

It's a net good thing for RVing if more local governments implement reasonable HH bylaws so it's not some quasi-legal grey area just waiting for one neighbour's complaint to shut it down.

Will be interesting to see what the new HH bylaws look like when they're done. Harvest Hosts (the company) should also be all over and in front of these concerns across the nation, lobbying local governments, etc.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #59
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld
Not sure if you are a Harvest Host member, but out of a couple dozen HHs I have stayed at or had made/almost made reservations at, only one had more than 2-4 spaces to park and not a one was anywhere near a neighbor.

Even with 3-4 spaces, Only once did I have 2 other RVs and only a couple more with one. Most stays I was the only overnighter.
Agreed. Commercial operations like a farm or a winery will always have large trucks making deliveries and taking their product to market.

Is HH taking away from commercial RV parks? Sure, but it cannot make a real difference in their revenue.

Ray
Old 12-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Activities can be taxed. There is no requirement for a commercial/monetary transaction in order for a tax to be levied.
could you site me a couple examples ?? i may be stupid, but i've been setting here trying to think of something i have done that was free, but got taxed for it.
Jay D.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:06 PM   #61
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

Folks, please keep to the subject at hand. Take taxing free activities to a new thread if you want to discuss that.

Thank you
Old 12-24-2022, 05:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
So, you live next to a winery that parks 7-8 rv’s on your property line every day because they have a one night only policy. 7-8 coming and 7-8 going every day. Some getting lost and trying to turn around with toads. Some have a barking dog, etc etc I get it.

Kinda like living in a family neighborhood with your 4 kids, Every house sells and is turned into airbnb. Now you live in a Hotel neighborhood. I get it.

So how did all these businesses survive before HH? I don’t get it.

I don’t live in California and do see how HH could upset the balance. Get everyone together and come up with a plan.
I see you've never been to Napa. Tour buses outnumber RVs by a wide margin.

Quote:
BIGCEASAR wrote: And you can also be assured that in the California wine country the wineries carry much more political clout than any RV Park.
I chuckled at this. Generally, the locals don't like the wineries. The wineries don't carry any more "political clout" than anyone else.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:47 AM   #63

Reason 247 why that fault line needs to sever California from the rest of the country. It’s amazing how the richest of country are by far dumbest.

By richest I am referring to movie actors and the like. Not folks who are rich from actual hard work.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:06 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
Reason 247 why that fault line needs to sever California from the rest of the country. It’s amazing how the richest of country are by far dumbest.

By richest I am referring to movie actors and the like. Not folks who are rich from actual hard work.
That's Southern CA. NORCAL has the earthquake faults. Refusing to explore and enjoy an amazing state because of perceived political differences is just a bit silly. But I digress.

So the rest of the country is free to ignore zoning and permitting requirements?

Interesting. You'll find codes all over the US that prohibit overnight parking or sleeping in the unit anywhere other than a bonafide campground, especially if it falls within a city limit.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:14 AM   #65

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quakes_faults-nc.png
Views:	12
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	383225   Click image for larger version

Name:	San-Andreas-Fault-Map-Southern-California-Fault-Map.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	383226  

Old 12-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #66

When AirBnB popped up, it evaded many existing regulatory structures set up to keep tabs on and guide rental property. After a bit, the regulatory system took note of it, there were some growing pains, and now the reg system has absorbed it and crafted regulations that allow it to function, but within some bounds.

When Uber popped up, we saw that same story. It started out unregulated, the regulatory system took notice of it, and now it is regulated.

Harvest Host is just going through those same stages.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Old 12-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
When AirBnB popped up, it evaded many existing regulatory structures set up to keep tabs on and guide rental property. After a bit, the regulatory system took note of it, there were some growing pains, and de now the reg system has absorbed it and crafted regulations that allow it to function, but within some bounds.

When Uber popped up, we saw that same story. It started out unregulated, the regulatory system took notice of it, and now it is regulated.

Harvest Host is just going through those same stages.
AirBnB regulations are far from settled. Popular destinations are constantly having regulatory battles between short term rental operators and full time residents. Harvest Hosts’ market is a tiny fraction of the short term rental market. In most areas it will not merit any regulatory changes. Local authorities will likely either have no complaints to act on or will apply existing regulations to either allow or shut down those locations that actually draw scrutiny.
On a different note, taxes aren’t the only financial source for local governments. Business licenses are significant as well.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #68
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thread closed. This has run its course & posts keep going off topic.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, cat, location