Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #1

Harvest Hosts what a joke

Just wanted to to share my experience in case it helps others with Harvest Hosts. I’m sure lots of people love it unless the reviews on the net are fake, but in my experience it’s a joke. We wanted to utilize for our upcoming west trip to fill in some overnights. Their website says to call 24 hours to 2 weeks before your stay. Ok. Reviews all say people have no problem finding sites.

However I’m guessing their online reservation system may be relatively new or more places are utilizing it maybe bc once someone told me about it, I looked at the places we planned to stay and 5 out of 6 are booked for months. So we would have been stranded and scrambling for a place to stay.

They did give me a refund and said they are trying to double their hosts by the end of the year, but it seems to me that its not worth it bc all the good places will be booked anyway.

Just thought I’d share bc I wish someone had told me before I planned our whole trip around it.
Smazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry you are dissatisfied with HH. We’ve been members for almost 4 years and love it. Never had any issues with booking a spot. In fact my wife booked us 3 places that are about 2 weeks out and had no issues.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Sorry you are dissatisfied with HH. We’ve been members for almost 4 years and love it. Never had any issues with booking a spot. In fact my wife booked us 3 places that are about 2 weeks out and had no issues.

Glad it works for you guys, wish it would have for us. I was very excited to get out of the crappy overcrowded campgrounds. I could understand a place or 2 being booked, but 5/6 just make me have zero confidence in HH.
Smazze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #4

The online system is brand new. Email or phone your desired destinations. It's not fair to criticize them for being successful.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #5

Seems like all the campgrounds and places like Harvest Hosts are getting busier.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #6

The 7 'P's seem to apply
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #7

The 7Ps of The Marketing Mix: The Acronym Sent to Streamline your Strategy. ... The marketing mix is an acronym that encompasses 7Ps: Product, Place, Price, Promotion, Physical Evidence, People, and Processes.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
The 7Ps of The Marketing Mix: The Acronym Sent to Streamline your Strategy. ... The marketing mix is an acronym that encompasses 7Ps: Product, Place, Price, Promotion, Physical Evidence, People, and Processes.
I think it was the other 7 P’s: Proper prior planning prevents.....

I use HH pretty casually. Use it twice a year and it pays for itself; once if you stay in more expensive resorts. I also added golf courses - haven’t stayed in one yet, but the concept seems sound for a variety of reasons.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We feel your pain....just another result of sales of thousands of rv's over the past year with no place to go. Even the desert southwest is filling up!

It's always appropriate to criticize a business that doesn't deliver.

It will get worse before it gets better.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #10

This is interesting news. I have only used HH twice since I joined last month. I called or emailed each (what ever the site said to do) and both worked out. I will have to go look for the online way to do it. I didn't know there was one. Hopefully you called the places you wanted to stay to verify the online info was correct. From my last 4 years of regular campground reservations I found that when a site said there was no availability online a call to the place got me a spot more often than not. YMMV. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMyers17 View Post
moderator edit
Good point.

I've used Harvest Hosts a few times, some great experiences some not so great. In either case the experience is not a reflection on the network (Harvest Hosts) but more the location.

Think of Harvest Hosts like a Franchise organization - some locations are not that great, some are fantastic.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #12

Unfortunate that you had a bad experience with HH. Most HH sites only have a few spots to park. They are not campgrounds. We just stayed at 3 different spots in 5 days and used the new request feature on web site. As usual, we found HH hosts to be friendly and accommodating. We especially like golf courses. Wineries and breweries do tend to fill up fast.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I am getting ready to travel and am looking for options while traveling. I went ahead and joined HH just now and will see how well it works in the coming months.

I will be traveling solo and going to meander my way north and around the Great Lakes area. Not time table, no real plans, no advance destinations other then visiting family in Northern Wisconsin.

So for the cost I figured it would be worth the risk of trying it out.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #14

My take on HH so far. We joined needing to fill in a few spots on our big 7 week summer trip from Massachusetts, to Long Beach CA, up to Washington state, and back home, visiting the parks in Moab area, Yosemite, Redwoods, Olympic, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, and back home. We had three HH sites penciled in to our itinerary. I checked this morning, and two of the three are not HH anymore, and the third, upon further checking, doesn't have a spot big enough for us. So I found replacements and did the "request reservation" thing. Two of the three have confirmed. I feel better with confirmed stays, but I know some people here just can't lock down a schedule, and I see this reservation system as being a problem to them.

Tags
joke