Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Has anyone been jacked on the road, or broken into in a campground?

I'm sure we all have security concerns. But I was wondering how common on the road hijackings, and break ins in campgrounds really are? I know I sleep with a 9mm within reach,on the road and at home, but maybe I'm just a cautious 2nd amendment believing Texan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe for the most part, thefts in campgrounds are crimes of opportunity. Three times at large Fairground gatherings we have attended, people have lost items. Nothing was ever broken into, loose items were the only things taken. Last year at a large RV Park kids? jumped the fence, stole bicycles and were gone. The stolen bikes were all unlocked.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
While danger is everywhere and best being prepared I've not experienced any issues. I've been in the same CG as teenagers getting up to shenanigans, stealing beer from unattended coolers, etc.

Biggest issue I read about are thefts at storage areas, usually batteries, LP tanks and the occasional internal break in and electronics theft.

I've not read about break ins while camping, doesn't mean they don't happen but just that it hasn't come across my radar.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two Spanish speaking "gentlemen" tried, but I was prepared with a couple personal defense items. They quickly left after I showed them one and before I got to the other, longer one!
Old 12-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 2nd amendment can be subject to "reasonable" restrictions. As long as you know those restrictions from one location to another, I have no problem with the display of deadly force to stop a crime, but the local gendarmes might not have the same beliefs I do. You alone are responsible for knowing and acting within the laws and regulations of where you are when an incident occurs that you desire to inject yourself into.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
In over forty years of camping, I've never had any problems backpacking, in a CG or even overnighting at truck stops & Walmarts. I'm far, FAR more concerned about paranoid fellow campers with overkill firearms. Even a 9 will go through multiple RV walls several units away. A can of bee spray will shoot 30 feet and blind a person immediately. If you've GOT to have a firearm, a .22 will maim or kill without endangering someone next door. Think about those nearby if you've got to carry.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
.... I'm far, FAR more concerned about paranoid fellow campers with overkill firearms. Even a 9 will go through multiple RV walls several units away. A can of bee spray will shoot 30 feet and blind a person immediately......
My spidey senses are indeed picking up some mis-information and paranoia.

p.s. Don't bring a can of anything to a gun or even a knife fight. Here's to 40 more years of camping without being shot by an overkill firearm. Jeez louise.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
My spidey senses are indeed picking up some mis-information and paranoia.

p.s. Don't bring a can of anything to a gun or even a knife fight. Here's to 40 more years of camping without being shot by an overkill firearm. Jeez louise.
Now that's Funny !
I travel 22,000 miles a year give or take and only had 1 issues of a couple knocking on my door at 2 am looking for a handout to get them down the road.
Waking up semi startled and my dog barking I grabbed my **** and opened the slide window and politely explained how stupid they were knocking on doors at 2 am. and gave them 10 sec's to vacate my Rest area parking spot.
This should be a good thread
Old 12-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
This should be a good thread

What you said!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm far, FAR more concerned about paranoid fellow campers with overkill firearms. Even a 9 will go through multiple RV walls several units away. A can of bee spray will shoot 30 feet and blind a person immediately.
I 100% agree with that sentiment.. I am many, many times more afraid of all the jittery "campers" carrying weapons around than I am of the far-fetched chance that armed robbers bother attempting to rob a campground or RV, when there are so many easier and richer targets and neighborhoods around.

I have seen motorhomes in storage being broken into, since they can be easy targets for electronics to pawn by amateur thieves. But robbing in the middle of a campground with people all around?? Slim chance.

Much higher probability that a nervous, armed neighboring RVer shoot at me if I come home to the MH late and they "hear something" around their RV.
Now THAT makes me nervous.

In addition, as someone else mentioned earlier, the right to carry arms comes with responsibility. Expect to go to prison if you discharge your firearm in ANY case where you are not in direct, provable life danger, the offendant both facing you and moving towards you, and many other conditions. Including all the other things a bullet might hit on its path. Even when shooting inside your own home.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I'm sure we all have security concerns. But I was wondering how common on the road hijackings, and break ins in campgrounds really are? I know I sleep with a 9mm within reach,on the road and at home, but maybe I'm just a cautious 2nd amendment believing Texan.
I mostly agree with the other comments but I would like to point out that there are two locks on most RV's, one being the deadbolt. The deadbolt is keyed to the RV but the other door lock is common across most RV's and anyone can open the door if you did not lock the deadbolt. There was a story on iRV2 where a couple parked behind a Crackerbarrel along I75 in North Florida and only locked the door lock and not the deadbolt. When they returned they discovered that someone went inside and robbed them of their belongings, they even open the slide in the bedroom to get to the drawers and left it open. Every person who has ever worked at a RV lot knows that one of the keys are common to most RV's.

LOCK BOTH LOCKS WHENEVER YOU LEAVE YOUR RV
Old 12-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #12

Shooting someone

Quote:
In over forty years of camping, I've never had any problems backpacking, in a CG or even overnighting at truck stops & Walmarts. I'm far, FAR more concerned about paranoid fellow campers with overkill firearms. Even a 9 will go through multiple RV walls several units away. A can of bee spray will shoot 30 feet and blind a person immediately. If you've GOT to have a firearm, a .22 will maim or kill without endangering someone next door. Think about those nearby if you've got to carry.
Remember once you pull that trigger you will be poor for the rest of your life.even if your 100% right..Its called "civil court" and lawyers. And even if you win you loose because you still have to pay that lawyer anywhere between 35,000 and 60,000 dollars..Protect your life and not "your stuff" But either way you'll need a lawyer... And even as it says above you are responsible for 3rd party injuries (so maybe 2 law suits)
Old 12-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Simple answer - NO.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Should be a good thread. Maybe one of the responders will be a smoker too.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground