Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

Has anyone else ever had a Good Sam Issue????

When I first bought my motorhome we purchased Good Sam roadside premium coverage which includes towing etc. The only two times I've needed it was a fail. Last year I had a battery that needed jumped and I couldn't get service due to the high volume with the Texas freeze situation. Not sure how that affected me in Ohio but whatever. I should have cancelled it right then but I had a long trip planned and wanted the peace of mind and a policy. Yesterday my Nissan Titan had a brake line leak out all the fluid and I have no brakes. So today I call and they text a link and say submit online which I did. They gave me options of service centers nearby or I could do a custom. I put my normal shop in as a custom and clicked submit. I wait two hours and then call them back and hit 0 for an operator. She informs me that the online requests typically get stuck in a que and that's where mine is. She says I didn't put a shop in which I say I did and gave her the shop name and the fact I did submit that online. She says sometimes it doesn't work and attach to request and that she will take care of it for service. We then get through it and she mentions the fact that I need to pay $3 at the time of the tow. I say why as I am covered within 3 miles of my home location. She stated that I am only covered to the nearest qualified shop within 3 miles that is qualified inside their system and I would owe that money. I said the two shops are basically next door to each other with one nursing home driveway in between. So 100 feet separate them. She says sorry your just not covered. I just paid $230 for this coverage and I am not able to have my vehicle towed from my house to my normal repair shop 2.2 miles away. After 5 years of their policy I decided to cancel based upon that policy.

I guess on the positive side of things everyone on the phone was nice and friendly. They immediately refunded my premium that renewed in December and wished me safe travels. I personally would have thought they would have kept a member and let me have it towed one extra driveway in distance.....

Has anyone else had similar experiences with them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
CnG

Tiffin Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to CnG
Good Sam Assistance Slip Sliding Away

I used Good Sam several times over a number of years and the service has gone from Great to Terrible. Several years ago my son-in-law and daughter borrowed our motorhome and a tire blew . We gave them the Good Sam number over the phone and they had service in a reasonable amount of time considering where they were - headed to a mountain lake in Utah. The tire was replaced, mounted and they were on their way.

That was typical of the times I needed to use them until the past two years. Most recent was also during the Texas freeze. My wife was in Texas for dog shows with a friend that had a 24' Class B. They stopped at a Sonic drive-in to get food and the MH would not start when they were ready to leave. My wife called Good Sam on a Friday afternoon. It was Monday morning before they were able to get the MH out of the Sonic parking lot.

Not sure what is happening to Good Sam Road Side Assistance but it is not what it use to be.

Galen
CnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #3

I've had Good Sam, FMCA and currently Coach Net. I used Good Sam once for a flat tire. They sent a service guy out in a reasonable amount of time but still charged me over $100. When I asked to see how much the service would have been without G.S. they would not tell me nor would the shop that provided the service. I believe that service call without G.S. would have been about the same as I paid.

I use Coach Net once and they were very helpful in setting up a tow and notifying a repair shop. However before they sent the tow I was able to fix the issue and cancelled the tow.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I've had Good Sam, FMCA and currently Coach Net. I used Good Sam once for a flat tire. They sent a service guy out in a reasonable amount of time but still charged me over $100. When I asked to see how much the service would have been without G.S. they would not tell me nor would the shop that provided the service. I believe that service call without G.S. would have been about the same as I paid.

I use Coach Net once and they were very helpful in setting up a tow and notifying a repair shop. However before they sent the tow I was able to fix the issue and cancelled the tow.

Thanks for the insight. I cancelled service with good sam and then found out my insurance has coverage for these type of roadside so I am gonna just use that.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I dropped GS ERS a few years back when I called to get a flat on the truck swapped for the spare. The operator said if my spare needed air, the driver would require an extra payment. Air was not included with a tire change. When the wrecker driver showed, he cranked up his air compressor to use on the jack and impact wrench. I asked that since he had the air there, if he would top off the spare ... it was about 5 psi low. He did and no charge.

As soon as we got to our destination, I called and cancelled GS ERS.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:40 AM   #6

It came with (I'm sure I paid for it) my little TT. I didn't renew it. I do all my own maintenance and I prepare sufficiently for emergencies so I have no need for it. They've probably sent me enough please come back mail that it would have been cheaper for them to just giver me a free renewal.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote