Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2022, 06:26 AM   #1

Has price negotiation returned yet?

Well, after almost two years of owning our first TT, the inevitable has happened. We want something bigger. We haven't definitely decided to pull the trigger yet, but we're leaning that way and starting to weigh our options.

Of course the budget is tight, so I'd like to be able to get the best deal I can. When we bought our current TT in early 2021, the pandemic crunch was just ramping up. The dealer had it "marked down" a couple thousand below "MSRP." That was pretty much presented as a take-it-or-leave-it price. If I didn't buy it, he had people lined up behind me who would. A few months later, things got even worse and dealers were selling at or even above MSRP.

Fast forward to now, and I'm again seeing dealers advertising new and used TTs that are "marked down" a few thousand below "MSRP." What I'd like to know is whether they're treating these as take-it-or-leave-it prices, or whether we've actually returned to some semblance of pre-pandemic price negotiation. I suppose I could just go to a dealer and ask, but I'd like to be prepared before I walk onto the lot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
... Fast forward to now, and I'm again seeing dealers advertising new and used TTs that are "marked down" a few thousand below "MSRP." What I'd like to know is whether they're treating these as take-it-or-leave-it prices, or whether we've actually returned to some semblance of pre-pandemic price negotiation...
While I have not been to a dealer recently, these 2 articles from RV Business indicate that there will likely be a growing competition for customers on the lot...

October sales down 43.7% from a year ago: https://rvbusiness.com/october-rv-sh...pared-to-2021/

Customer "demand normalization" is investor jargon for lower sales. Note that motor home sales demand remains high...
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #3

Sell quick. Buy with cash/no trade will net your best deal. Dealers have big inventories right now and will soon have to negotiate big time IMO. Don't mention you are a cash buyer until the price has been negotiated. Some large volume dealers offer lower prices they think they can finance you. Still best to buy from a Mom & Pop with fair prices if you can but they are getting harder to find. BTW you'll need more truck if you go much bigger. Truck dealers still have take it or leave it pricing and probably 4-6 months order to delivery.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #4

This dealer near me has been dropping prices for several months already. Looks like big discounts have hit the market.
https://www.curtistrailers.com/produ...ue&condition=1
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
While I have not been to a dealer recently, these 2 articles from RV Business indicate that there will likely be a growing competition for customers on the lot...

October sales down 43.7% from a year ago: https://rvbusiness.com/october-rv-sh...pared-to-2021/

Customer "demand normalization" is investor jargon for lower sales. Note that motor home sales demand remains high...
Hah, yeah that's a great euphemism for declining sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Sell quick. Buy with cash/no trade will net your best deal. Dealers have big inventories right now and will soon have to negotiate big time IMO. Don't mention you are a cash buyer until the price has been negotiated. Some large volume dealers offer lower prices they think they can finance you. Still best to buy from a Mom & Pop with fair prices if you can but they are getting harder to find. BTW you'll need more truck if you go much bigger. Truck dealers still have take it or leave it pricing and probably 4-6 months order to delivery.
Yeah, a new-to-me tow vehicle will have to go along with it. I'll be looking at used trucks, though. Can't even get close to paying for a new truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
This dealer near me has been dropping prices for several months already. Looks like big discounts have hit the market.
https://www.curtistrailers.com/produ...ue&condition=1
Wow, those discounts look pretty impressive relative to MSRP, but I'm guessing the MSRPs are still the inflated prices they were charging a year ago. But still, an encouraging sign that prices might be starting to normalize.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #6

I would guess that trading in a one year old TT in this market would not be pretty for the buyer, especially with the inventory that is building now. Ask yourself, what would you pay for a used one year old RV when you could buy a new one for 25-30% off of retail?? Even selling to a private party, you would have to compete with new @ 30% off of list if the buyer was informed. Trading in a one year old unit of any kind is a tough deal make without taking a financial hit. Might be better to wait a couple years for a better outcome.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:31 PM   #7

Being that we are sliding into December, you’ll get your best prices and opportunity on a ‘22 model year close out. They won’t budge as much on a ‘23 model.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveland RV in western canada is advertising a 27% discount off any new 5th wheel...... This particular dealer is not known for discounting so likely needing to clear inventory after interest rates went up.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Recent experience showed me that some dealers are offering pretty good discounts. We got about 20% off of our new ‘22 Cougar. But, they would only give me $5,000 below wholesale for my trade. I was able to sell my trade for high retail on my own within a week of putting it on the market.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:00 AM   #10

I would think now is the PERFECT time to negotiate hard!

The COVID RV's are sitting on the market (look at the number of days listed on the RVTRADER.COM.

The airlines and hotels have returned.

Interest rates are up and the stock market is down.

Supply chains are about fixed.

Fuel is expensive.

IF this isn't a recipe to negotiate hard then I don't know what is.

If a dealer said to me "oh these are still really tough to come buy, I would politely thank them and say you are going to look around. You both know the market.

Good luck! Let us know how it is out there!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #11

And don't be concerned about walking off the lot when you get the take it or leave it line. Just make sure they have your phone number and wait for a call. This has worked for me in the past quite well.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
Community Moderator

What I'd like to know is whether they're treating these as take-it-or-leave-it prices, or whether we've actually returned to some semblance of pre-pandemic price negotiation........every fifth wheel trailer (3) and rv (2) I have purchased in the lasy 18 years have been marked down ~30% below MSRP and I always ask for extras included like washer/dryer and/or satellite tv antenna.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
And don't be concerned about walking off the lot when you get the take it or leave it line. Just make sure they have your phone number and wait for a call. This has worked for me in the past quite well.
Yeah, that's been my usual approach to buying vehicles over the years, and it has worked well for me also. But I know things have been different over the last year or two. I was hoping things have normalized enough that the buyer has some leverage again.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
What I'd like to know is whether they're treating these as take-it-or-leave-it prices, or whether we've actually returned to some semblance of pre-pandemic price negotiation........every fifth wheel trailer (3) and rv (2) I have purchased in the lasy 18 years have been marked down ~30% below MSRP and I always ask for extras included like washer/dryer and/or satellite tv antenna.
Holy smokes, if they don't negotiate move on to the next dealer. Right now nothing is "take it or leave it."

Assuming you have a place to live everything from the buyers prospective is "I could buy it today or never - Doesn't matter to me."
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote