Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Have Segway will Camp

My Wife and I live in East Texas. We have a 1997 Roadtrek we use it mostly to travel to visit family and sometimes just to go visit a location that we wish to see. We have been to Colorado several times, North Carolina, Michigan, etc. We do not enjoy going to a campgrounds and setting a week. We lasted two days once.

She sews a lot at home and takes her sewing on trips. I am a retired commercial artist. We are both active Christian people. We will probably start teaching Sunday School classes this fall, but we can get a weekend off from time to time. Of course we are free most weeks. We each have a Segway to use on our trips, I really enjoy riding the Segway but she does not. We are both in pretty good health, but I have trouble walking very far, reason for the Segway.

We would like to find another couple or couples with similar interests to go camping with and who would like to ride a Segway. They are really easy and fun to ride. We joined a couple of clubs for a while, but they never held any rallies in our area. I guess this forum is mostly for camping club members. We might join another club, but I don't care much for large organized meetings.

If you are interested, please respond.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a Segway but a couple of years ago a couple pulled into a site next to us in AZ. They had the off road models. He had a leg disability and the Segway allowed him to get around and see stuff that would not have been possible without it.
For example he was able to park in a wash at the big RV show in Quartzsite and go though the sand and gravel to the show.

They are pretty impressive devices. They asked if we wanted to try them out and it was a lot of fun. They were easy to learn how to use.

My wife and I have discussed getting a couple down the road if we get to the point physically where they would give us access to areas that we would be unable to get to without them.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is one guy here that has a Segway. He goes by Dunner here and he lives in AZ. They look lke great fun. I wish they were a little less pricey.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Okmunky

Not segway, but wht the heck.

index

made in sacramento, ca

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #5

I was offering to provide the Segways to ride, we have two. I like to ride the Segway, but my wife does not like to ride. When we are with her sister and her husband, my brother-in-law ride the Segways and they sew. They are easy to ride and allow the riders to cover a lot of ground with little effort.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #6

I don't know if Seg or Segway is an Acronym for something, but I think it is pathetic that a company has to resort to using a similar name to possibly get search hits for a cheap knock-off of a successful product.

I used to let people in camp ride my genuine X2 Segway until a guy fell off and hurt his knee. I later found out he had to have re-constructive knee surgery and was off work for over 5 months. Alcohol was involved, but still, there is the potential for anyone to over-estimate their ability and get pitched off in a heart-beat. I went down myself when I didn't give myself enough clearance and hit an un-movable object in a tight space.

I bought mine for the fun of it and it is great for going to visit other friends in camp and to visit other camps. I don't have leg problems, but I do have two compressed disks and can't stand still to long or walk too far.

I have also found it great for walking the dog and to go to the garage sales around the neighborhoods. Can't carry much, but I usually just look for hand tools and other stuff for spares.

I bought a used one with only 58 hours on it from the Segway dealer in Scottsdale, AZ for about $3000 off retail for a new one. I also had to take a 1/2 hour training course before they would sell it to me. It also came with some upgrades.

They're fun and come under the same laws a pedestrian or someone in a wheelchair would have. I haven't had the need to do it, but I know corporate policy allows them in Walmarts. I even put a horn and headlights on mine, with small flashing red strobes for the rear.

Enjoy, but be careful.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #7

What is this all about

"I don't know if Seg or Segway is an Acronym for something, but I think it is pathetic that a company has to resort to using a similar name to possibly get search hits for a cheap knock-off of a successful product."

I just don't understand what you are talking about. I sometimes use Seg as short for Segway. Sorry I was just lazy.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Not you Rol, the link Jack posted about Segscooter.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #9

I clicked on the link "Index". I see what you were referring to, one of the many other products that you can ride. I think that it is probably made in China and they don't care, they just copy everything.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

Yep, that's China. They don't respect our patent system.

What model Segways do you have? Still the stock batteries?
Mine came with the carry pouch, cushion foot pads, extra kickstands and accessory bar.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #11

We too have a i2 Segway and take it with us everywhere. Wife had knee replacement and it bothers her to ride it so she takes her bike and I ride along on the Segway.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #12

OK, this thread is going no place. My intent was laid our in my original statement. I also use the forum SegwayChat, this discussion needs to be moved there. We have two i2's which we bought two years ago this november near Houston, Texas. We got a two year warranty and we have insurance on them.

Now, this discussion is nice and I appreciate your comments, but is anyone interested in meeting someplace and gliding together or tell me of a rally that we can both attend?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #13

Sorry to disappoint you and ruin the intent of your thread. I was just stating facts.

To answer your question. No, I don't want to meet with you or anyone else to go gliding and I do not know of a rally.

Google - Segway tours or select your state here.

Locate Segway Tours

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Sorry to disappoint you and ruin the intent of your thread. I was just stating facts.

To answer your question. No, I don't want to meet with you or anyone else to go gliding and I do not know of a rally.

Google - Segway tours or select your state here.

Locate Segway Tours
Well stated, did you notice that their website hasn't been updated on news since 08. And yes they are using their knockoff chinese junk website to make some think its a segway product. They even called it a seg-scooter, and reference to segway type product.

This was a cheap shot to sell junk. I don't care to join a glider club either. Next thing we will see is a riding mower club. lol
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote