Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 11:21 PM   #1

Have you cleaned your AC lately?

Decided to clean both roof AC’s today. I have sprayed out the condenser before, but never bothered to take the cover off and do the evaporator coils. I was surprised at the dirt they were holding. I used some foaming coil cleaner from HomeDepot and it did a great job. AC should be much happier now.

I also found the factory simply ripped out some of the side foam to run the wires. Big holes allowing air to get into attic. Some spray foam and metal tape and all good now.

Based on Changing Lanes RV YouTube video I used the scrubber on top of a can of carpet cleaner to straighten the bent fine. It did a super job.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:16 PM   #2

You don't mention the age of your RV or brand or model for that matter. All important stuff. Maybe put it in your signature.

If your RV is over 10 years old, next time you're up on the roof, might consider replacing the AC's start & run capacitors as they age out, especially after spending years on a hot roof.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:45 AM   #3

2012 Bounder 35k.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #4

I found cheaply made plastic can start capacitors seem to age out long before sealed can type. They have pretty wide tolerances , because use a cheaper processing to make them. I replace with metal can type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You don't mention the age of your RV or brand or model for that matter. All important stuff. Maybe put it in your signature.

If your RV is over 10 years old, next time you're up on the roof, might consider replacing the AC's start & run capacitors as they age out, especially after spending years on a hot roof.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #5

I dread doing mine... 22yrs old trailer park queen for 70 yrs couple .. I bought 5 yrs ago and still fiddling with it.. a/c next..
Thank you for tips..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-21-2022, 09:43 PM   #6

I cleaned a squirrel nest out of mine. Busted the cover open on the side I don't see and moved in. Chewed every wire in half. Odd it was not satisfied to just chew on it, but actually had to make sure every wire was completely cut, even ones that were not near his path. he also chewed the edge of 1 fan blade so it vibrates.

I spliced all the wires back together, but the compressor won't run. The thermostat also does not recognize the heat pump. Not sure what we missed.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #7

Oh man.. I listened to a car repair show on the radio.. and this owner of 7 of the biggest car shops in Cincinnati Ohio.. reported that squirrels and mice total more vehicles than wrecks.. here in southern ohio.. every time I work or inspect rv I find a hidden nut.. in the oddest places.. they say squirrels remember 99% of where they hide stuff..
I can't remember what I had for breakfast.. they eat up everything around here.. I am sorry to hear about your squirrels.. they give me nightmares.. I sure hope I don't find anything like this.. sorry I can't help.. but there are many electrician here.. if you start a new post..i really feel better members then me will help you
Old 05-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
Oh man.. I listened to a car repair show on the radio.. and this owner of 7 of the biggest car shops in Cincinnati Ohio.. reported that squirrels and mice total more vehicles than wrecks.. here in southern ohio.. every time I work or inspect rv I find a hidden nut.. in the oddest places.. they say squirrels remember 99% of where they hide stuff..
I can't remember what I had for breakfast.. they eat up everything around here.. I am sorry to hear about your squirrels.. they give me nightmares.. I sure hope I don't find anything like this.. sorry I can't help.. but there are many electrician here.. if you start a new post..i really feel better members then me will help you
Yes, squirrels use visual mapping where rats and mice use smell, sound, and feel. Probably because squirrels are most active during the day, the others at night.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:56 PM   #9

It's a myth that squirrels remember where they buried or hid their stashes. Apparently, they mis-place around 60% of their stashes and never find them again.

But that's not why I'm posting...I'm posting a suggestion that people look into getting an undercarriage lighting system that is triggered by movement. Any animal or even human that gets too near the vehicle is scared off when the white rope lighting comes on bright. Apparently that works on nighttime critters. Adding a horn might work on daytime squirrels and others.

Just a suggestion.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 PM   #10

I was thinking about electricity. There is a large animal that insists on pooping on the corner roof of my RV. I'd like to just zap him.