Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am not a professional but a device can do both, Split and be a switch. It can be referenced by user as either a Switch or Splitter.

The device I just bought today is 2 X 4 so that means it...

1. It is a Splitter and can takes one HDMI feed and duplicates the content times 4 ports. I only need 3 so it is more than what I need.

2. It is a Switch and takes an TWO inputs and puts it across 4 of the available outputs at choice.

I am am out $40. When it comes I will advise how well it works. If it does not work, I will return as it has 1 year warranty.
If it's 2x4 then it's a matrix switch, not a splitter.
I am an "industry professional". We design, sell and automate these systems in residences and commercial installations.

No biggie, it's just easier to understand when conventional terminology is used.

Gotta link to the one you bought?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If it's 2x4 then it's a matrix switch, not a splitter.
I am an "industry professional". We design, sell and automate these systems in residences and commercial installations.

No biggie, it's just easier to understand when conventional terminology is used.

Gotta link to the one you bought?
My point was a Matrix switch is also a splitter. I only needed a splitter. But I bought for $40 a device that can both split and switch. So yes it is Matrix Switch which is your point and we agree. But my view is my requirement of Splitter. The fact that it can do more (Switch) is gravy.

The one I bought is below. I do think I will use both inputs and 3 of the outputs when in RV.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392379431353
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Kind of hard to wrap my head around this. In my situation we have two TV's both on coax. When we are in a campground with no cable we put up the antenna. When we have cable we ignore the antenna. If we had SAT I guess we'd probably either ignore the other two options completely or change SAT services to one we liked. HDMI is for our movie players and game systems.
See if this helps. If you have one TV at the front of the RV and adjacent to all your sources, no problem. You can connect any type of source output (ANT, CABLE, SAT, DVD, BLU-RAY) directly to any input on your TV without any switchers or conversion. But for RVs/TVs with coax hookups to multiple TVs, I have seen no switcher that provides coax ANT input, video DVD inputs, and HDMI SAT and/or BLU-RAY inputs.

I have all of those sources with coax hookups for three TVs. The old SAT hookup in my 2006 MH was low-quality coax SD, not HD. I purchased the SDI converters to get a direct HDMI satellite feed 40' through coax to my main TV. I use no TVs in bedroom (used that cabinet for computer setup) or outside. If I had them, I could still watch any other source (via the coax switcher) through those TVs while watching direct HDMI on my main TV.

But if I want to provide all sources including HDMI to other TVs, it needs that multi-format switcher capability. Getting the $365 HDMI-to-ASCI RF converter, I could hook that sat HDMI into my switcher's coax ANT input (or any other input such as coax VCR that may handle ASCI) and send it to any or all TVs via their current coax connections. You can also select any other coax switcher source to go to that TV, or to other TVs at the same time. Nothing else mentioned in this thread will do that.

If you have two HDMI sources such as sat receiver and Blu-Ray or gamer to run through that ASCI converter, you can add a cheap 2x1 or 3x1 switcher to accept those sources, hook that single switcher output into the HDMI-to-ASCI converter, and select the one you want to view on any or all TVs.

The poster with multiple HDMI sources to feed to different TVs would need an HDMI switcher and HDMI cables throughout or, also using that switcher, $250 of my SDI converter pairs to accommodate three different HDMI sources to three different TVs through existing coax cable.
iwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #46

Quote:
My point was a Matrix switch is also a splitter. I only needed a splitter. But I bought for $40 a device that can both split and switch. So yes it is Matrix Switch which is your point and we agree. But my view is my requirement of Splitter. The fact that it can do more (Switch) is gravy.

The one I bought is below. I do think I will use both inputs and 3 of the outputs when in RV.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392379431353
Ah ok, now that I see the product, that is NOT a matrix. A matrix would allow you to choose which input goes to which outputs (or combinations of outputs).
The device you bought allows you to select the input and have that go out to ALL outputs.

Post back once you get it if it's working for you.

https://www.avprostore.com/18Gbps-Tr...-mx44-auhd.htm

That's a "real" matrix. And good stuff (excellent stuff). This is the caliber of hardware that Sony would use in their demonstration booth to show off their $500K projector...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Ah ok, now that I see the product, that is NOT a matrix. A matrix would allow you to choose which input goes to which outputs (or combinations of outputs).
The device you bought allows you to select the input and have that go out to ALL outputs.

Post back once you get it if it's working for you.

https://www.avprostore.com/18Gbps-Tr...-mx44-auhd.htm

That's a "real" matrix. And good stuff (excellent stuff). This is the caliber of hardware that Sony would use in their demonstration booth to show off their $500K projector...

No you still are missing features of this product and how I intend to use. I think I follow why you are confused with me so I will try again.

1st Matrix was your word. I have said 2 X 4 Switch/Splitter which it is. Look at the picture.

2nd It has a remote; so you can switch from one of two inputs. I intend to have a Roku Ultra on one of the inputs.

3. Yes for the input selected, it will go to all 4 outputs, I will have 3 TVs. This is what I want. Yes it is either or for Input selected

4. If say on TV in Bedroom, I wish to watch something different like live TV from Antenna, I still have that AV setup using the Coax line that is wired with coach from factory) That systems comes with a number of inputs for Satellite etc, that I have stated I will never use.

So for the requirements I was seeking, which was to stream 4k HDMI on all TVs at the exact same time, this will work perfectly.

To where you going on switches, I can simply change source on each TV from ANT to HDMI to make each TV unique if I wanted too. For my wife and I it is just two of us, so those two sources are all we need. In the extreme, we could also have multiple Rokus that could be direct to Source HDMI2 on each TV. But that goes back to what the original plan was, but if we wanted to watch same think it would be a slight delay for one of the TVs.

I hope this explains. The jury is still out on the quality. When I get (few weeks) I will hook up to two TVs in the house to see if I can get true 4k.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
No you still are missing features of this product and how I intend to use. I think I follow why you are confused with me so I will try again.

1st Matrix was your word. I have said 2 X 4 Switch/Splitter which it is. Look at the picture.

2nd It has a remote; so you can switch from one of two inputs. I intend to have a Roku Ultra on one of the inputs.

3. Yes for the input selected, it will go to all 4 outputs, I will have 3 TVs. This is what I want. Yes it is either or for Input selected

4. If say on TV in Bedroom, I wish to watch something different like live TV from Antenna, I still have that AV setup using the Coax line that is wired with coach from factory) That systems comes with a number of inputs for Satellite etc, that I have stated I will never use.

So for the requirements I was seeking, which was to stream 4k HDMI on all TVs at the exact same time, this will work perfectly.

To where you going on switches, I can simply change source on each TV from ANT to HDMI to make each TV unique if I wanted too. For my wife and I it is just two of us, so those two sources are all we need. In the extreme, we could also have multiple Rokus that could be direct to Source HDMI2 on each TV. But that goes back to what the original plan was, but if we wanted to watch same think it would be a slight delay for one of the TVs.

I hope this explains. The jury is still out on the quality. When I get (few weeks) I will hook up to two TVs in the house to see if I can get true 4k.
Here is best picture of the Switch/Splitter

I will run 3 HDMI from the Output to all 3 TVs. This will allow me watch what is on the input for all 3 TV's at the exact same time which was my only goal. The Windsports/Hurricanes come standard with this splitter (no switch capability)

However with this unit, I can switch between 2 HDMI Inputs. There is remote to do this, but I may not use the 2nd input

On the TV themselves this Switch/Splitter will be on HDMI 1, while the existing AV System factory from Winnebago will remain as is untouched on ANT Coax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	265702  
Old 11-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #49

I did this to my concrete home in Belize, 75ft to a 1080p tv projector on a 7x9ftvscreen. You really had to make sure your connectors are secure and all grounds strong. Worked fine 5 years ago.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I used these hdmi-sdi to sdi-hdmi converters to send to my bedroom. Works great! I tried the f-type to bnc adapters but they must have been substandard quality. I just bought a crimper and terminated the coax with BNC connectors directly. Excellent upgrade.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #51

Use this for HDMI over coax

Mirabox HDMI Coax Extender Over... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FR4JDT2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
rockrebel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #52

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
I had a similar issue with my coach. I built a TV console with TV lift on one of the slides. Since this is an older coach - everything, (Sat, TV, DVD, etc) is located in the front over the windshield. The costs and logistics of trying to run coax or HDMI to the slide was a no-starter. All I did was just use a wireless HDMI to move all the signals to the new TV. B&H Photo --- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_kit_150.html

The only thing I could not do was to convert the coax cable from the roof HD antenna to HDMI so I could feed it to the new TV. Currently park cable and OTA TV is only available on the original front TV.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #53

HD TV in an RV

We have a 2006 Travel Supreme that is 38'. Back then, it only came one 36" HD TV (720p) and 2 SD CRT TVs and had an in-motion, dome-type, DISH Network antenna with its output cable, ready for a satellite receiver. There was a set of component cables from that cabinet to the HD TV with RG59 cables to the rest with 2 VHS/DVD recorders (remember them?). The input cables from the sat antenna and the receiver, etc. are all located in an overhead cabinet in the passenger-side slide-out. Using a single channel sat receiver (211) and sending its HD signals to 3 TVs (that were all eventually updated to 1080p LED TVs) was a serious challenge. The sat receiver is only a single channel, not a DVR, 1080p at best, so the TVs can either all receive the same program or a TV can get input from its locally attached Blu-ray player.

Ideally, I wanted the HDMI cabling to be hidden, but I gave up on that in favor of having something simple, functional and reliable. I tried using wireless HDMI but that only worked reliably over short distances, so the TV over the windshield has wireless since the transmitter to receiver signal to it is only going 8 feet (getting a cable from inside that cabinet, over the door entry, inside the front cap and so on was just too difficult). I eventually resorted to running HDMI cables along and through walls, slideouts and rooms using plastic cord covers where needed. The longest cable length was about 50 feet to the bedroom.

I was wrong to think that the input and output HDMI ports on the AV receiver would solve the problem with HDMI signal distribution. When powered, the AV receiver would send audio to the vehicle's in-ceiling speakers, but then its output would strip the audio signal so that the TVs had no sound except for those in-ceiling stereo speakers in the living area. This is typical for AV receivers. This meant that when the AV receiver was on, there would be no sound on the TV in the bedroom.
This was solved by taking the satellite HD signal and sending it to 3 TVs via an HDMI splitter, but that's not all. The audio signal had to be split off to send it to the AV receiver, which would be a 4th output device. So, the connection order had to be sat receiver to HDMI splitter with at least 4 outputs (one for each TV [or transmitter] and one for the AV receiver). But that's still not all! Also needed was an HDMI source selection switch between the sat HDMI and Blu-ray HDMI.

Due to the speed of electrons, all of that signal processing and distribution results in a slight but noticeable AV sync misalignment. You just learn to ignore that.
When all was said and done, that video cabinet became a jumble of cables, switches and various black boxes with their pilot lights, all giving off some heat. In variably, after driving down the road, something in there usually manages to get loose...
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
The only thing I could not do was to convert the coax cable from the roof HD antenna to HDMI so I could feed it to the new TV. Currently park cable and OTA TV is only available on the original front TV.
This caught my eye. Given how many intelligent and competent folks have chipped on this kind of thing in this thread alone, I would suggest starting your own thread with what you want to accomplish and your restrictions of adding cables and see what solutions people come up with. I had no idea "wireless HDMI" existed until just a few minutes ago, surely there's something similar for coax feeds.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #55

I simply bought quad shield coax and that solved the problem. I've run 100 ft and still works great.
rogerray45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
I had a similar issue with my coach. I built a TV console with TV lift on one of the slides. Since this is an older coach - everything, (Sat, TV, DVD, etc) is located in the front over the windshield. The costs and logistics of trying to run coax or HDMI to the slide was a no-starter. All I did was just use a wireless HDMI to move all the signals to the new TV. B&H Photo --- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_kit_150.html

Wireless!!!! Say what. Where have you been. This is game changer for me. plus I can still use my 2 X 4 Splitter as source for Wireless Input. Long as it can handle 30 feet with no issues I can't see a problem. Thanks Bob

Tags
cable