Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

HDMI through coax cable

I've seen posts about running HDMI cable through RVs, but that can be difficult and runs are typically limited to under 50' to be reliable. I have a 2006 Ventana with all coax runs. When I needed to run HDMI from a DISH receiver to various TVs in the coach, I was familiar with a pro video format that uses coax cable – HD/SDI. I wanted RVers to know that you can simply purchase two small converters, an encoder and decoder (each under $50 by Blackmagic Design), and run that HDMI signal any distance through current RV coax cable. The encoder (at the sat receiver end) has an HDMI input and two SDI outputs, so coax cables for both living and bedroom area TVs can be hooked up. Then a decoder is used at each TV to convert SDI back to HDMI. Quality is perfect since the HD/SDI format can run up to 300 feet. (NOTE: These converter prices are without the standard mini-USB power adapter if you already have those. They are also available with the power adapter for slightly more. These converters are also available at slight discounts through various pro audio vendors.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI-SDI.png
Views:	128
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	264851  
iwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #2

Quite a few inaccuracies in the description.
1) it's not "HDMI" if it's using coax
2) the picture is NOT perfect. It HAS to be compressed
3) the problem will be EDID issues with different screen resolutions.
4) it can't run "any distance". It will be worse with longer distances and not work at all at X feet.

Welcome to the forum.

For a cheap solution, it's not bad though if it actually works.
Real video baluns that are good quality are many times the price. There definitely is a difference in video quality and longevity.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

Hdmi through coax cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
1) it's not "HDMI" if it's using coax

2) the picture is NOT perfect. It HAS to be compressed

3) the problem will be EDID issues with different screen resolutions.

4) it can't run "any distance". It will be worse with longer distances and not work at all at X feet.

I can only assume you haven't worked with HD/SDI. As I stated, it's HDMI-SDI conversion, so SDI runs through the cable. I have worked with it for over 10 years in professional video installations for converting HDMI for professional video switchers and distribution, projectors, TVs, and media recording devices. EDID has never come into play for SDI in my applications, both pro and consumer, as it has for various other conversion formats and devices. You can check pro video forums and manufacturer specifications for HD/SDI to confirm its quality and stability over it's qualified distance. It is a pro digital solution that is not prone to the typical loss of consumer formats such as HDMI, and it works flawlessly in my Ventana motorhome as it does in my pro installations up to 200' over the last decade. Just a little surprised you would make those statements so quickly.

This is from a Canon video article:
"The basic HD-SDI is the mature and established standard. Thanks to its massive bandwidth HD-SDI doesn’t need video to be compressed. The data rate is high enough for uncompressed transmission of 1080i50, 1080p25 or 720p50 video signals. The original version runs at up to 1.485Gbits/sec."

NOTE: When I first started using these new converters over a decade ago, they ran $400 each. The technology and demand for such quality conversion has now brought them down to under $50.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up!

I had no idea the converters had gotten so cheap. This is definitely an excellent solution as coax cable is pretty much the standard in all RVs.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #5

thanks! Ive been looking at the SIIG adapers @147 on amazon, which is better?
Other questions, wonder why BMC connectors, guess I need anapters also? And, will it take a pair, so 80$ to get a signal?
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwhite View Post
When I needed to run HDMI from a DISH receiver to various TVs in the coach, I was familiar with a pro video format that uses coax cable – HD/SDI.
Wouldn't it be simply to just use DISH Hopper-Joey receivers using MoCA instead?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #7

I forgot to mention that HD/SDI does use the twist&lock BNC connectors where RVs typically use screw on F-connectors. You can find F-to-BNC adapters online and through electronic and video supply stores.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
thanks! Ive been looking at the SIIG adapers @147 on amazon, which is better?
Other questions, wonder why BMC connectors, guess I need anapters also? And, will it take a pair, so 80$ to get a signal?
SIIG are computer adapters for USB and MiniPort. Not for running through coax, lower bandwidth, and prone to EDID issues. You can easily find inexpensive F-to-BNC adapters as I mentioned earlier.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Wouldn't it be simply to just use DISH Hopper-Joey receivers using MoCA instead?
When I asked DISH just today, they indicated there was no option for a standard coax signal compatible for TV Cable/Ant hookups. That told me their Hopper ethernet output is not designed for video with a MoCA converter, and the MoCAs I see do not have HDMI inputs. Is MoCA even designed to work for Cable/Ant signals? I haven't seen that.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #10

I bought good quality HDNI cable and ran it front to back through the AC run on the passenger side and it works great on the bed room tv. I used a 30 ft. cable.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwhite View Post
When I asked DISH just today, they indicated there was no option for a standard coax signal compatible for TV Cable/Ant hookups. That told me their Hopper ethernet output is not designed for video with a MoCA converter, and the MoCAs I see do not have HDMI inputs. Is MoCA even designed to work for Cable/Ant signals? I haven't seen that.
I'm not sure what you're attempting to do.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #12

Ok, if you are talking about 1080P max, then maybe it's uncompressed. But 4K (which is today's "standard" IMO), nope.
No pro video today is 1080P. Pro is 18g now-a-days. 4K60 4:4:4
And yes, very aware that Dish / DTV most programs are capped at 1080P but have "a hundred 4K stations". And there are few DTV RV HD dishes... And that streaming 4K takes more bandwidth (min 15mb/sec) than most all campground Wifi and cellular data plans provide.

Was just playing with our partner company's 8K first gen signal generator at AVPro's booth at CEDIA a couple of months ago. It was connected to a 98" Sony prototype 8K TV. That is right around the corner to make 4K old.

Now, to get back to your main point, yes, if all you have is coax and NOT HDMI, and no Cat6 or better, then sure, the SD/HDMI baluns are probably as good as you're going to get. And it's impressive on how inexpensive the BlackMagicDesign boxes are. They historically have made good equipment.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Ok, if you are talking about 1080P max, then maybe it's uncompressed. But 4K (which is today's "standard" IMO), nope.
Understood if you're now qualifying it for 4K. I didn't, and only referred to HDMI which could be from any current or older DISH receiver (I use the 211z). That is a consumer application, not "pro". Your post clearly suggested the format could pass no HD uncompressed or over long distances without degradation. That suggestion to other viewers was incorrect.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I'm not sure what you're attempting to do.
Run HDMI quality video through existing RV coax cables from a standard satellite receiver to TVs. How would you do that with MoCA converters which I don't see with HDMI input?

Tags
cable