Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Heavy Duty Truck OBD2 Scanner OBDII Code Reader

I have a 2000 Cummins ISC 370 engine in my 2001 Monaco Dynasty and would like to purchase a Heavy Duty Truck OBD2 Scanner with Check Engine, Transmission, Brake, Fuel Scan Tool for Heavy Duty Trucks & Cars 2 in 1 OBDII Code Reader.

I have tried 2 different models and neither of them can read my engine (my engine is older and uses the 1708 6 pin mode). The ones I have tried are VIDENT iEasy320HD and NEXAS Heavy Duty Truck Scanner NL102. Neither one can communicate with my engine.

Can anyone make a recommendation for one that is tried and works on a similar engine as mine?
corkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

FWIW, the J-port under the dash on my MH does not work, several technicians with different brand computers have failed. Cummins said it likely has never worked, and the long run of wiring is the problem. The J-port on top the engine does work
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I also have a 2000 ISC with J1708 port, I purchased this from Amazon...does all I ask, will read/clear trouble codes, read live sensor data...and will do both HD truck and automotive OBDII.
It'll read some ABS and transmission, but not a lot. Hard to get a basic handheld scan tool to "shake hands" with all the controllers with out spending some big money.
Comes with both J1708 & J1939 connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4GH6UZ..._EF.yFb5VKN60G

But if you want to spend more, I use this one at work a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZZKVYG..._5L.yFbGV2N0FJ
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #4

Nomenclature: OBD2 is for 1996 and newer gas autos and light trucks. OBD1 was older than 1996 Gas. J1708 is older Diesel, and J1939 is for newer Diesels (around 2001 was the switchover for most).
Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, the J-port under the dash on my MH does not work, several technicians with different brand computers have failed. Cummins said it likely has never worked, and the long run of wiring is the problem. The J-port on top the engine does work

The last time mine was tested by the shop the front one did not work either, but the one by the engine did work.

Thanks for the confirmation
corkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
BlueFire can read codes plus a lot more. The basic app setup has a code reader in it without any additional customization. It does come in a 6 pin version, though I have only used the 7 pin.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
IC2

Have you looked at a ScanGauge ll? I have one on my Ford pickup and find that it can give me more information then I need:

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

It seems to work as well or better then my dedicated OBD tester in that it will more easily clear trouble codes

2014 Montana High Country 343RL (sold it!)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote