Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2022, 03:05 PM   #1

Heavy Trucks Passing on Right merge lanes

This year, we have had two incidents of heavy trucks passing us in right merge lanes where two lanes squeeze down to one and these are at speed - we cruise the interstates at 65 mph, most of the time in the right lane. Just wondering if these are just one-off coincidental occurrences or if this is being seen more frequently by fellow RVers. In both cases, I had to slow/move out of the way and both were kind of surprising as I was mainly watching my left merging vehicles and the front and in both cases saw the ones in the right lane when they were next to me. The one with the rock hauler (no license plate) passing was merging on to I-110 southbound in Pensacola after exiting I-10 eastbound and was up to about 55 mph. On the other, the Quality Carriers tanker passed us just before a busy entrance ramp on I-10 westbound near Long Beach MS at the Loves Truck exit. If you look up the DOT placard, that tanker hauls some nasty stuff. Just wondering if this is becoming more frequent - we have only been running our Class A for 5 years so most of you have much more experience than me. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pensacola passing.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	381808   Click image for larger version

Name:	I-10 MS passing.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	381809  

jimnlo1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2022, 03:19 PM   #2

Neither picture looks like there was much traffic, could you have moved left and let them merge? I'm not real fond of cars that try to bully their way into traffic when they could easily accelerate and get in ahead of me. I cut trucks a lot of slack and get over if I can and let them merge, it takes time to build speed and scrub off speed with anything big. If they're going faster all you have to do is move back right.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It pays to watch both mirrors all the time, especially going past on ramps.
Truckers are working and you're on vacation. I always let them go.

In fact, I really hang back, as coming off an on ramp, trucks usually have rocks in their tires, and you don't need to buy a windshield, by trying to push a truck.

But that's just me.......

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I just slow down and let them merge. When possible, like when there’s three or more lanes, I try to stay out of the right lane where there’s a bunch of on ramps.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #5

I agree with all the comments - both were passing me about 20 mph faster that I was traveling. I definitely slowed and moved when I noticed them.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnlo1949 View Post
This year, we have had two incidents of heavy trucks passing us in right merge lanes where two lanes squeeze down to one and these are at speed - we cruise the interstates at 65 mph, most of the time in the right lane. Just wondering if these are just one-off coincidental occurrences or if this is being seen more frequently by fellow RVers. In both cases, I had to slow/move out of the way and both were kind of surprising as I was mainly watching my left merging vehicles and the front and in both cases saw the ones in the right lane when they were next to me. The one with the rock hauler (no license plate) passing was merging on to I-110 southbound in Pensacola after exiting I-10 eastbound and was up to about 55 mph. On the other, the Quality Carriers tanker passed us just before a busy entrance ramp on I-10 westbound near Long Beach MS at the Loves Truck exit. If you look up the DOT placard, that tanker hauls some nasty stuff. Just wondering if this is becoming more frequent - we have only been running our Class A for 5 years so most of you have much more experience than me. Thanks

So I'm a bit confused. Are you saying these were merging trucks coming onto the interstate, or were they in the right lane behind you and moved over to the merge lane to pass you on the right?
If they're trying to merge legitimately, I don't see a problem. I usually see them coming down the ramp and move over if at all possible. Or I let them in if I can't move. They're bigger than me and I have no desire to play Chicken.

If they cut over to the merge lane to pass you, that's a whole 'nother bunch of NO. You should get a trailer #, company name, time of day, yada,yada, and report them to the company.
I have seen commuters do that in Chicago traffic but never a truck. First time for everything.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:08 PM   #7

Option two is correct in both cases. There are two lanes, not an interstate entry lane, and the right lane ends with a merge. The rock hauler was behind me and must have decided at the last minute to shoot past me on the right. We lose a lot of context without seeing the video, so perhaps I should have not posted. I communicated with Quality Carriers in Tampa and one of their HS&E folks reached out to me and I sent him an abbreviated video. If you look at Google Sat map, exit 28, I-10 westbound in Mississippi, you can see where the right lane ends just prior to the entry ramp. Once again, for the Pensacola event, that hamster was behind me and must have decided I was going too slow at the last minute. Also you can look at the sat map of the eastbound I-10 exit to I-110 to get an idea of the Pensacola ramp situation.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Option two is correct in both cases. There are two lanes, not an interstate entry lane, and the right lane ends with a merge. The rock hauler was behind me and must have decided at the last minute to shoot past me on the right. We lose a lot of context without seeing the video, so perhaps I should have not posted. I communicated with Quality Carriers in Tampa and one of their HS&E folks reached out to me and I sent him an abbreviated video. If you look at Google Sat map, exit 28, I-10 westbound in Mississippi, you can see where the right lane ends just prior to the entry ramp. Once again, for the Pensacola event, that hamster was behind me and must have decided I was going too slow at the last minute. Also you can look at the sat map of the eastbound I-10 exit to I-110 to get an idea of the Pensacola ramp situation.
Hello, just remember the same dummies who drive cars this way also carry CDL Licenses. It's a shame but everyone these days seems to be in a hurry, be careful and always expect the unexpected. I have my CDL's and see a lot of the things you are talking about on a daily basis, be safe
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #9

Don't know what they teach in Semi-school but have always observed semis giving way to semis on the on-ramp. Some years ago, Pennsylvania state troopers were ticketing semi-drivers for this practice. Have never seen a semi make way for a car or bus of any type that is on the on-ramp. There must be a buddy system in play.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:27 PM   #10

Next time look and see what's coming down the ramp ,and on to the road . You should of see them coming down the ramp and should of slowed and let them in ,or moved over if you could . In my option you didn't want him in front of you , and he didn't want you ahead of him . Give way and let them have the road . He will get up to speed in a mile or two .
Old 11-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #11

I go by what I learned many moons ago when studying for my license. Maintain your speed and if the left lane is open, move to the left. If it’s not open, I maintain my speed. Now I’m not sure what I would have done with the rock truck, but my instinct is to maintain my speed.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
I agree with all the comments - both were passing me about 20 mph faster that I was traveling. I definitely slowed and moved when I noticed them.

If you were at 65 and they passed at 85, those entrance ramps would have been fairly long downhills or did they used that side to pass you because the left lane was blocked with traffic?
It would be interesting to see the entire video.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #13

In Wisconsin it is illegal to pass on the right side. Merging is not passing on the right.

The law also requires vehicles to allow merging traffic. Move over or slow down to allow the merging vehicles in.

Stopping at the end of the merging ramp is dangerous and highly discouraged.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:19 AM   #14

It's probably one of those areas where trucks aren't allowed in the left lane.