RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #1

Hello from Memphis! Let's brainstorm!

EDIT: Should this be posted in another forum? Well, I know the mods will move it if they think it's necessary.

Hey peeps! New member here. I don't have an RV yet, but the day that I make my purchase will someday come. I've been researching RV's for over a year now but I only recently realized that my needs seem to be incredibly complex or at least abnormal. After thinking multiple times that I've found the perfect setup, I've finally made it to the point where I really have no clue what I'm looking for. So here I am to learn!

History/about me: I'm 32 years old. I'm a native of the suburbs of Memphis. I have experience driving commercial trucks, ride motorcycles, and I like driving off road. I lived in Colorado Springs for several months before medical issues and a murder in the apartment next door prompted me to move back. Because of the bullet holes in the wall and one of the bullets destroying my toilet, I only got back a small fraction of my deposit. So I've been doing a lot of brainstorming to avoid issues beyond my control caused by other people. Full time RVing interests me in case I need to move suddenly without losing a deposit. I already enjoy traveling and camping, especially at music festivals, so that also makes a camper very useful. Because of motorcycling, a toy hauler is what I'm looking for, preferably one that can last for many, many years. I prefer to stay in an area for long periods of time, so if I go traveling to a music festival, I expect to come back to the same city and continue working the same job(s). My medical issues also seem to be under control. I expect to be the only person living in my RV, maybe with an occasional guest. No relying on others, no one relying on me. I know I can rely on myself. No pets!

Now here's where things start to get complex: online video gaming on a PC. It requires a very fast internet connection. Since I realize that this is not easily done in an RV, I expect to go to LAN gaming centers like eSports Stadium in Arlington, TX, Localhost in Austin or Denver, or Pure eSports near Phoenix, AZ. This and my employment preferences would keep me in an area for months. I REALLY enjoyed living in Colorado regardless of the weather. The challenge with full time RVing in Colorado is the cold, and the heat could also make it challenging in TX or AZ. I know it's doable, but the temperatures can go below -10 in CO and it gets extremely hot in Arizona. In fact, the first time I was ever in CO, I stepped out of a commercial truck in Bennet in -13 degree cold with snow and 35mph winds. So even a 4 season toy hauler would likely need to be modified, but that doesn't scare me. Perhaps I could move back and forth between those states, but I'm not sure if I really want to do that. I prefer being with as few employers as possible per year.

Speaking of employment, I made $25+ an hour, over $2000 per month, working less than 30 hours a week delivering pizza in Colorado Springs. I know I can do other work as a full time RVer but that's a whole other conversation that I've done gobs of research on. Delivery driving is just something I know I can fall back on. It's extremely effective. I don't want to use a heavy duty truck for that though. Some bumper pull toy haulers can haul a car plus two motorcycles. I want to keep a minimum of one motorcycle. I could do away with a small daily car, but then that limits or rules out an option for income that's previously been so effective. When my medical issues forced me out of delivery driving, finding work in Colorado that paid enough per month with full time hours was still very easy. Ultimately, I'd like to keep as many options available as possible. If I really have to forego the separate car, fine. But I like delivery driving. I've delivered to some cool places like the gates of NORAD and met some really cool customers. It was my highest paying job per hour.

Trucks: I prefer gas engines. I drove a diesel VW Jetta in Colorado, and that car financially held me back sooooo much. It couldn't pass emissions tests and the maintenance was extremely expensive. I don't want to deal with emissions tests or the maintenance costs of a diesel pickup. My dad's maintenance costs with his diesel F-250 were also really expensive. I know an F-150/1500 is too small. Considering my needs, an F-250/2500 could be pushed near or possibly above the towing capacity, but I prefer to use that size of a truck if I can keep the weight towable for such a truck. It's not like I'll be traveling long distances every month. If I can't help but tow so much weight that a dually is required, it would probably be a Ram 3500 with a Cummins diesel. Cummins makes awesome engines and I know I can work on them myself without having to deal with the labor costs. I'll use diesel if I really have to.

Trailers and motorhomes: ATC toy haulers have my interest because of their long-term durability and cargo/weight capacity. I could easily put an inexpensive gas sipper like a 2-door Toyota Yaris plus 2 motorcycles in some of their bumper pull trailers. They are 3 season trailers, but a few space heaters and a carpet could be effective. I'd also have to make sure the water pipes and tanks don't freeze and I know that's doable to a limited extent. Can this be done at temperatures as low as -25 degrees? Northwood Desert Fox trailers also seem really nice but I know I can't put a car plus a motorcycle (preferably 2) in their toy haulers. I also appreciate the premium audio those come with too! If a trailer doesn't come with premium audio, I'll put premium audio in there myself. On the other hand, I considered the Thor Outlaw class C toy hauler motorhomes. I could put 2 motorcycles inside and tow a car behind me. Unfortunately, I've heard horror stories about their quality control and customer support. Can anyone here confirm this further? This is pricey stuff and I want it to last over a decade. Build quality and quality control MUST be exceptional! This is for long term use.

Budget: The task is ultimately my focus. I can find gas F-250's/2500's with less than 100k miles for less than $30k, Northwood 24AS's for less than $50k, and ATC's can be found for about that much and I know those will last a long time. I have plenty of time to save up for whatever fits my needs.

The wild card: Tesla will soon be making a pickup truck. Owning one of those would make a separate daily car completely pointless and a Northwood Desert Fox 24AS or something of similar weight and build quality would be just fine. The towing capacity is not set in stone (approximately 14,000 pounds) but I would likely require the tri-motor configuration for the highest towing capacity. Hummer also just announced an electric pickup but those have much less range and cost a lot more. Also, NOTHING has been said about payload and towing capacity.

Closing: I don't need a huge or fancy living space. It just has to be big enough for me to cook, sleep, shower, handle my business on the toilet, and hold at least 2 motorcycles and hopefully a small car, as well as keep me comfortable with the heat and cold. The bedroom is the ultimate living space. A/C's can be upgraded and ATC trailers can be modified to keep me comfortable in the winter (probably with lots of window condensation, but hey, at least nothing will rot). I want the RV to last a very long time and handle extreme heat, cold, and humidity. Slideouts are not important and are ultimately a mechanical liability and weight adder. Have I missed any options for 4 season toy haulers that aren't 5th wheels? Any tips on how to keep any trailer's pipes and tanks from freezing at -25 degrees? Bumper pull is preferable since I think I'll EVENTUALLY get a Tesla Cybertruck. I can handle laundry in a laundromat but a washer/dryer hookup would be so nice. Can a trailer without washer/dryer hookups be modified to have that? I've watched a lot of Youtube videos from Keep Your Daydream, Big Truck Big RV, and others that I can't remember off the top of my head, but I haven't seen anyone do anything similar to what I'm talking about.
One Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only thing I can add to your post is, perhaps you should try the decaf.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With what you are looking for, why not go and have a custom trailer built to your specs?
That would be the easiest solution.. Maybe not cost effective but still easy....
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
The only thing I can add to your post is, perhaps you should try the decaf.
*looks over at my can of Sprite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
With what you are looking for, why not go and have a custom trailer built to your specs?
That would be the easiest solution.. Maybe not cost effective but still easy....
Are there any manufacturers that you recommend? I know about New Horizons but they're extremely expensive. I'm hoping to keep the cost of the trailer as far below $100k as possible. Good quality doesn't come cheap though.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome.

So many issues my head is spinning. Maybe you should work out a few things before diving into RV life.

Rent an RV for a month and see how you do.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome.

So many issues my head is spinning. Maybe you should work out a few things before diving into RV life.

Rent an RV for a month and see how you do.

Good luck.
I had no idea RV's could be rented. I'll have to give that a shot.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #7

You'll likely get more responses if you can prioritize your questions.
Do a little research here and then figure out in general terms what you want to ask.
First: what kind of RV. motorhome or trailer
If trailer then 5th wheel or bumper pull.
What size will you be comfortable with and is in your budget.

Many people work from their RV using the internet. There are many options here too for how to receive internet.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The high speed gaming is going to be the killer. That requires a lot more than just a cell phone data plan. You need to find a RV park that will supply a high quality wired Internet since RV park Internet is generally weak at best. Besides that, you need to really think about your priorities. Make a list of hard needs ranked in order then a list of wants, also ranked in order. Working through that list will be hard, but necessary to get good advice.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #9

Sounds like you're looking to spend $80-100K. That's going to limit your ability to buy high quality, especially with your desire to have a toy hauler. How are you intending to pay for everything you've listed? $2000/month isn't very much if you have multiple payments for a tow vehicle, TT/5er, motorcycles, taxes and insurance on all, high speed internet for gaming, food, camping fees, etc. Do you really have a "need" for online gaming, as in you earn money, or is it just a hobby? What about health insurance? Temporary delivery jobs typically don't have benefits. You don't want to get in a position where a medical emergency will cause you to lose everything else.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Lots of good questions and good suggestions folks!
Online gaming would be at a LAN gaming center, not at an RV park. I have made money with online gaming before. Not a massive amount since the resources available now weren't available 10 years ago. Online gaming has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I have won money in a few tournaments and trained kids to play competitively in Counter Strike and Halo. I was paid to train them. It's literally a multi-billion dollar sport now.
I will not be using a motorhome. I'll be pulling a trailer.
5th wheel vs bumper pull? Either one, but preferably bumper pull. That would be cheaper altogether. It even allows the truck to be cheaper.
I honestly haven't figured out my budget. I just know it's a mix between keeping it as low as possible but not so cheap that the trailer will be falling apart in a few years. If I have to raise my budget, I will. I'm the kind of person that prefers to spend a little more in the short run on quality so I don't have to spend a lot more in the long run.
The motorcycles and cars are paid off. Life is financially easier when everything is paid off. Spending a few years saving for most of everything is doable in my case. I would probably finance the truck and trailer (the down payment for the truck would mostly if not completely pay it off), live in the trailer on my parents' property and travel occasionally, pay it off early, and then live wherever I want.
Are there any toy haulers that have kind of construction quality ATC has? Those things are built to last decades.
I'll work on that list of priorities soon.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #11

The below is just my opinion, i'm not an expert.

RV. Consider the Nash 26N. Arctic Fox and Nash are both built by Northwood Manufacturing in the same factory. The Nash line is a little more spartan and ruggedized inside and outside. (less carpet and fruh fruh) Also can be ordered with a generator for easier off grid use....but consider putting a 400 or 600 watt solar system on it anyway. I use to sell the line. Good company, good product, built in Oregon. I have had the factory tour a couple times. Ron and Nancy Nash are good people. Here is a link.

https://northwoodmfg.com/video-nash-26n/

Truck. The Tesla cybertruck is an excellent choice. For sure the Trimotor with the big battery. Operating cost advantages of driving electric over gas are significant. Essentially washer fluid and charging which depending where you live is fairly cheap. A lot of companies will have E-trucks out in the next two years and I would check them all out but I would lean towards the Tesla right now for the following reasons.

1. Supercharger network is years ahead of anyone else.
2. Majority of non Supercharger fast chargers are only 50 to 100 KW vice Tesla at 250 KW
3. We drive a Tesla and it has been a great experience so far.
4. Just speculation but from what I can tell it will have the best lockable storage of any of them including the box which has a power cover.

Lifestyle. We know a few folks who have put their Teslas into Turo vehicle rental program for 6 or 7 days a month to cover car payment extra insurance costs. This is not something I would personally do but it has turned out to be a good backup plan for some.

Anecdotal story. We know someone who delivered pizzas at night and went to the local community college during the day for 5 months to get their RV technician apprenticeship started. 4 Year apprenticeship but decent pay and highly marketable excellent mobility once you have your ticket. (Disclaimer, that's how a RV tech apprenticeship works in my country, not sure how it works in yours). Good career and the ability to be self employed if you are organized.

Hope that helps.

Again, the above is all my opinion. Not an expert.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #12

Priorities and wishes

First, I apologize for the massive first post. It was a mix between an introduction and talking about my lifestyle and that I want to try to tie all of that in with RV living, and it just became too big of a post.
Now that the thread is back to normal, I can work on this.

https://www.aluminumtoyhauler.com/models.html
The trailer that interests me the most is the ATC 29 foot trailer. The mix of aluminum and composites with no steel, wood, or fiberglass caught my attention. ATC won't call it a 4 season trailer but I've noticed that there are people who camp in the cold anyways and manage to stay toasty and keep their water from freezing. It's pretty close to being a 4 season trailer with the optional upgraded insulation. I think I can work around it. It's 15'5" from the rear door to the sink, and 17'3" from the rear door to the fridge. It has a base model weight of 7000 lbs and a GVWR of 13,200 lbs. The tongue weight with a generator is 1,275 lbs and 975 lbs without. I'll get it with a generator, thus, raising the weight to 7300 lbs, plus the unknown weight of thicker insulation. It's designed for hauling a car and maybe a motorcycle at the same time, depending on weight and sizes. My dual sport motorcycle is somewhere less than 280 pounds with all fluids and a full tank of gas. That's the one I would keep if I had to get rid of a bike. The other is much heavier and is scary fast. I currently don't own a small car, IF I ever get one again. Most if not all small cars weigh less than 4000 pounds, usually in the low 3000's. I have a Dodge Durango and I'll trade it in for the truck that tows the trailer. Hauling a car is a want, not a need. It would keep an income option open. It would be one of many income options.

As for trucks, the highest towing capacity with a gas engine is the highest priority as long as the truck is reliable. It looks like everyone makes good trucks though, possibly with a few issues that I could fix myself. If I ever get an electric truck, it'll be after I see what the user reviews say for a few years. For all I know, I COULD end up hating electric trucks as a tow vehicle but I sure am excited about them now. The F-250, F-350, and all of their counterparts with single rear wheels are what I'm focused on. I don't want to push anything all the way to their maximum capabilities. Figuring out the maximum towing capacity of all these various trucks is quite a challenge. It changes between trims and year models and I don't really know if what Auto Trader and other websites say about the max towing on each individual truck is true. I'll buy it used for less than $30,000. I've found trucks for around $20,000, with less than 100,000 miles on them, in very good condition, and max towing capacities usually claimed to be 12,000 lbs or slightly more. One truck had a claimed max towing capacity a little over 14,000 pounds. That one had a V-10 gas engine. It doesn't need to be a fancy trim. I'm fine with having 2 doors. I don't need 4 wheel drive but it would be nice to have. The distance I'd travel to buy a truck is not much of an issue if it's priced well enough.

Upon getting a truck and toy hauler, I would keep living near Memphis for a while since this is where my immediate family is. That would allow me to adjust to the new lifestyle and figure out what works and what doesn't work instead of diving into uncertainty and stress.

Last but not least, about hobbies in general, if the weather is bad for riding a motorcycle, gaming is my thing. I've made some money winning gaming tournaments as well as coaching kids for gaming tournaments. I can ride a motorcycle in relatively cold weather, but not in a blizzard or single-digit temps (Fahrenheit). Once I'm not living around Memphis, my source for high-speed internet would probably be at a LAN center.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Wow! Your needs are many. It appears you're setting up a brand-new life for yourself, and anytime you do that there's going to be a lot of questions, and I don't think any of us would have the answer to all of your questions, but as a fulltimer living in a 30 foot Arctic Fox fifth wheel pulled by a three-quarter ton GMC four-wheel-drive Duramax I do have some opinions and will gladly give you those.

If you live in a travel trailer, or fifth wheel some of them are designed for full-time living, but most of them aren't. When you find one you're interested in ask the manufacturer, not the salesman, if that particular RV is designed for full-time living. And if it's not you will likely have more problems with it than you will with one that's designed to be lived in full-time.

Pay more attention to the frame and the running gear of a trailer that you do to the interior. You can deal with the wrong color carpet. But if your bearings are constantly burning out, and the frame twists so bad going over bumpy roads that the doors get out of alignment, the thing may become a money pit. Don't ask me how I know this.

I lived in Colorado for over 30 years before I went full-time, and now I stay there in the Summer. Living in an RV in Colorado in the winter can be done, and is being done. But it's expensive, and not very comfortable. Which is why in the winter I'm in southern Arizona or southern Texas.

Your welcome to read my blog at theboondork.com even though 90 percent of it will be incredibly boring. There is information buried deeply within it about RVing in Colorado. Living full-time in a 1/5 wheel. Carrying a 250cc dirt bike on the back of that fifth wheel. Boondocking for long periods of time using solar panels without owning a generator. And even a monthly expense sheet every once in a while.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
Wow! Your needs are many. It appears you're setting up a brand-new life for yourself, and anytime you do that there's going to be a lot of questions, and I don't think any of us would have the answer to all of your questions, but as a fulltimer living in a 30 foot Arctic Fox fifth wheel pulled by a three-quarter ton GMC four-wheel-drive Duramax I do have some opinions and will gladly give you those.

If you live in a travel trailer, or fifth wheel some of them are designed for full-time living, but most of them aren't. When you find one you're interested in ask the manufacturer, not the salesman, if that particular RV is designed for full-time living. And if it's not you will likely have more problems with it than you will with one that's designed to be lived in full-time.

Pay more attention to the frame and the running gear of a trailer that you do to the interior. You can deal with the wrong color carpet. But if your bearings are constantly burning out, and the frame twists so bad going over bumpy roads that the doors get out of alignment, the thing may become a money pit. Don't ask me how I know this.

I lived in Colorado for over 30 years before I went full-time, and now I stay there in the Summer. Living in an RV in Colorado in the winter can be done, and is being done. But it's expensive, and not very comfortable. Which is why in the winter I'm in southern Arizona or southern Texas.

Your welcome to read my blog at theboondork.com even though 90 percent of it will be incredibly boring. There is information buried deeply within it about RVing in Colorado. Living full-time in a 1/5 wheel. Carrying a 250cc dirt bike on the back of that fifth wheel. Boondocking for long periods of time using solar panels without owning a generator. And even a monthly expense sheet every once in a while.

theboondork.com
I'll read every word and watch every video of your blog soon. I've already done some reading.
How do you carry your motorcycle? I can't find that in your blog.

EDIT: Nevermind about the motorcycle, I found the search function in your blog.