Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Hello from NC - Need info on RV garage

New member, or at least first post in a very long time, but long time RV'er. We have been out of the RV game for several years now but now we are looking and planning for retirement in the next 5 to 7 years. Currently have the camper choice narrowed down as well as vehicle. Looking for information on RV garage homes but didn't know it would be so hard to find information. Maybe I am just not looking/searching the correct way. Anyway, our idea is for something small, big enough for the RV and tow vehicle and maybe a garage area for one other vehicle. Ideally, it would have a living space with one bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, kitchen and small family room. Something under 1000 sq. feet living area. What I am seeing is gigantic homes, we need smaller since we want to mainly travel and just use this as home base for rests, medical or any other times we need to not be traveling. Ideally Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Arizona. Any info or what terms to actually use in searches would be appreciated. Happy days to all and good health.
electech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

The only RV garages I have seen were on 4,000+ SF homes. So you are unlikely to find one on the used market. I would look for a small house that meets your requirements and build a shed for you RV alongside of it, as long as the HOA and building codes allow it.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

I had an 18X40 (14 feet tall), steel carport (not fully enclosed) built for just under $4K. Of course, I have 5 acres, so room was not an issue. And steel has doubled in price in the last year or so.
AlfaBaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #5

I would tend to agree with DavidEM. Finding a small home with an RV garage would be very difficult. I would find the house in the area you want and then add to it whether attached or detached.

We recently put up a metal structure on our lot. No way we could have found anything similar in our area.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

Enclosed garages with small homes I have never seen. Mainly see “ports” which are roofs but no sides.

Try searching for “RV port homes”

Here is one in Florida

https://www.emeraldpointervresort.org/home/
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #7

You stated you're looking for something 'small'. From your description of what you want included it won't be all that small.

Many Arizona RV parks contain Park Model trailers. Folks come in for the snowbird season with their RV but live in the trailer and the parks sometimes have a storage lot for them to store their RV while spending the season in Arizona. Some have room for your RV right next to your living quarters. Here's an example of various options:

Happy Trails Properties – For Sale or For Rent

Also, you could buy some land and build your own. Here are ideas:
https://www.pinterest.com/chartier02...ving-quarters/

Another idea is to join the Escapees RV Club and they have some 'co-op' parks which allow you to stay on your lot but will have a small 'casita' next to it for day use or emergency medical use. You typically can't live in the casita. You live in your RV parked next to it.

The lots are leased for a very low cost. When you're ready to sell the Co-op buys your lot back plus any improvements you've made. The co-ops typically have a long waiting list to purchase these lots so get you're name on now. They all have different rules on their wait lists. The Benson, AZ one is unique in that when your name comes to the top you're not pressured into buying at that time. You can just sit and wait until you're ready. You don't loose your place in line and when you're ready you can get the next one available. Once you're in the park you have first dibs on choosing another lot when they become available. Some are plain lots and some have very nice casitas on them. There's a small fee to get on the wait lists. Some co-ops you're required to act immediately if you name comes to the top and some you can refuse once but then your name goes to the bottom of the list again. We did the Benson, AZ co-op for a while... very nice. Also, the Chimacum, WA park.

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/rv...p-co-op-parks/

Escapees also has Rainbow Parks which are different. For those you buy; not lease the lot and some have permanent-type homes on them or Park Model trailers. For those you're allowed to live in your casita or small home - whatever is on the lot. When you want to sell you sell yourself or through a realtor; unlike the co-op parks where they buy back your investment immediately.

These are the Rainbow Parks. The one in Alabama is very nice as is the North Ranch in Arizona.

https://escapeesrvparks.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 AM   #8

Thanks

I appreciate the links and ideas. I did notice that I didn't clarify small. Back in 2018 we downsized from a 4200 square foot home out in the country to a 1600 square foot townhome in the city. Now, in the next 5 to 7 years, our goal is to buy a new travel trailer and a new truck and travel. We are not looking at gigantic models but units in the 25 to 27 foot box size range. We have almost settled on our favorite camper as well as the truck. When I said small, I was referring to the living space side of the RV Port. I know the garage side will have to be larger. We are even looking at different areas of the country to buy a small piece of property to build something on if we can't find anything suitable. The goal will be to sell our current townhouse and enjoy life after working for many years. This RV Port will be a place to get off the road for a bit or a security blanket of sorts in case of medical issues. Here is a link to something like what we are looking at. I appreciate all the input and if anyone else has ideas, we are all for that! Currently in research mode!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/7204444...waAm5AEALw_wcB
electech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #9

Try this link. We own a home with an attached rv garage. A few for sale in Florida and elsewhere, but generally few and far between. Good luck

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rv-...es-533170.html
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #10

There are a number of homes similar to what you are seeking here in the Yuma Foothills. Lots are still available and there are several custom home builders who will build what you want. As far as preowned units go, contact a realtor or keep an eye on Yuma Zillow. Houses here range from stucco or metal large garage/shops with attached living quarters to park models with large metal RV sun shelters to the 3000+ foot house with attached car and RV garages.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #11

3 words - airplane hanger homes.

Here is one near my home. I htink it is over priced, but there are a lot of photos.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...68400365_zpid/
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #12

Sounds like you want to look for a barn with living quarters.
mytimeyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #13

Pasdad, I think, describes what is available, and fits your needs better. You may be thinking "garage" but that's to restrictive. Most people wanting to do what you describe continue to use the RV as living space, as well as the permanent house part. A garage is an envlosed building secure from weather, people, etc. It does not make for pleasant living space in a parked RV.
TexasJack is offline   Reply With Quote