Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #15

Hmmm lots to think about, thanks!

Re asking about models here on iRV, I did post about a Forest River Sunseeker I'm looking at on the Forest River owners forum, but didn't get any replies yet. I'm thinking most of them have TT or 5Ws, possibly? Is there a better place to ask about user's experience with particular models?

For those of you who say "it doesn't make any difference if there's a COVID pandemic or not, buying a rig is the same." ... What I meant was, how would I drive the rig through so many states (where could I stay overnight?), how would I get plates (tags) etc. Isn't that more difficult now?

Another question ... what's the best way to find a local-ish service dept to work with? I am not mechanically inclined. I'm sure I'll need some stuff done from the get-go -- from buying new tires or installing a backup camera to repairing a loose side mirror or non-functioning stairs -- and I've read nightmare stories about Camping World, or other places that keep the rig for weeks or months waiting for parts.

Are these places open during the "shelter in place" edicts?
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #16

Here's one

I traded this in back in February. I owned it for 2 years, was 2nd owner and I put new Michellins and 15k miles on it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it other that some fogged windows that the dealer may have already fixed. The only reason we traded was to move to a diesel. This rig is located in Colleyville, Texas - a suburb of greater Dallas. Pro RV is super easy to deal with and very low-key.

https://www.prorv.com/inv/2012-Itasc...r-35P-35-9443/
jbenolken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:15 AM   #17

1st things 1st. Find the rig and buy it. By then your concerns on where to stay on the trip home may be mute.

There is a Forest River owners sub forum in the Owners Corner Forum here on irv2.

Can't help you with repair facilities in Chicago but if you post for a specific type of repair facility in the Chicago area you might get a response. You can also try this: http://www.rvservicereviews.com/Stat...&KeywordState=
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #18

Best way to find good service is word of mouth or experience from places like iRV2. Talk with friends, neighbors, relatives etc and keep asking - if they don't know do they know anyone who might.
Don't limit yourself to just RV places if it's engine, chassis, tires, etc many auto or especially truck repair places are very good and better than the big RV places like Camping World - many - myself included avoid CW for anything but a small part in the store.
Independent RV places repair places can be very good.

As far as getting plates - it depends! some states will issue a temp plate to allow transport to home state for min $ and you need title, bull of sale & proof of insurance. Some states only offer these to dealers and not private sale (which presents problems) others just don't offer them. In some cases a seller may agree to let you use their plates to get back home. I did that with last purchase in NC - no temp plates avail, owner needed to pay of loan and get clear title which was distant and by mail. I wanted to make it in one trip so after getting comfortable with each other we agreed on above. I got insurance coverage from my insurer and drove home without incident.
I'll admit above is not the norm but can work in some situations.
You need to know the state of purchase and what their DMV policies are
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc123 View Post
Well though eventually yes I want to pull a toad, I'm not ready yet ;-) I mean I don't have one to pull. My current car is a 2018 Honda CRV which can't be 4-down towed.

Okay renting a car makes sense.

Yes I think I'd want to/have to do this:
1) contact seller and ask all my questions, let them know I'd be getting it inspected so please be forthcoming ... I don't expect an older model to be perfect of course
2) Agree on a price
3) Put some money down in escrow and we both sign a sales agreement about the escrow (e.g. if it fails inspection I get the escrow back), sale is not final until inspector and I see it and I get a test drive.
4) Find an inspector near them and hire them, have them work out the dates
5) If inspector's report is okay, woo-hoo! If there are issues, renegotiate price to both of our satisfaction.
6) Drive out there to see it myself and do a test drive.

The whole issue about state plates and transfer titles ... oy. I don't know how that works.
We just did this last week! We found an RV that we were interested in but located in another state, 6 hours away. I first contacted the seller back in March, asked a ton of questions about it and requested more photos. We asked if she would be willing to have an inspection, both from a certified RV place and a certified mechanic to which she agreed to. She sent copies of her most recent maintenance records and we were able to speak with the RV place she used. We asked her if she wanted a deposit while we had other inspections done. I was worried she would sell it. We were lucky, she was an honest person. She didn't want a deposit. I even insisted so we would both be comfortable and said she "didn't work like that". Since I was the first to call, she would deal with me first. We eventually got the report from the mechanic and was extremely happy with the results. We then made her an offer, which she accepted. Got a one way rental, left a day early and got a good night's sleep in a hotel. Met her the next morning and she went over everything. Signed the title over, gave her the cash, dropped off the rental and we were on our way. Couldn't have been easier.

I think the Covid lockdown actually helped us. Seller didn't want to go anywhere until she felt safe to go outside. That gave us time to research the unit, research a mechanic in her area and get our funds ready. The mechanic even walked through the unit while I was on the phone with him and he answered all of my questions.

Ask tons of questions from people other than the seller. There was another unit I had looked at that was only 2 hours away from me. I specifically asked about water leaks and soft spots and was told there were none. When I eventually saw the inside, it looked like it had been in a flood Lesson learned.

Good luck and have fun!!
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #20

Nice summary 6ofus!
You can get a very good feel for the sellers temperament and if they are giving a full and truthful picture by telephone... and they get a feel for you as well.
I had a similar experience with last private purchase about 1200 mi away. We both got to know and trust each other from telecoms and swapping info. The internet provided a means of researching sellers background and made me very comfortable with their credibility.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc123 View Post
Yes I think I'd want to/have to do this:
1) contact seller and ask all my questions, let them know I'd be getting it inspected so please be forthcoming ... I don't expect an older model to be perfect of course
2) Agree on a price
3) Put some money down in escrow and we both sign a sales agreement about the escrow (e.g. if it fails inspection I get the escrow back), sale is not final until inspector and I see it and I get a test drive.
4) Find an inspector near them and hire them, have them work out the dates
5) If inspector's report is okay, woo-hoo! If there are issues, renegotiate price to both of our satisfaction.
6) Drive out there to see it myself and do a test drive.
Number 4 is key. This will make or break the deal or give you something to negotiate a reduction in price. The logistics is the easy part.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:47 PM   #22

I bought my current coach a thousand miles away from home from a private seller in Florida. My retrieval cost about $1,100 counting last minute plane ticket, fuel and campground charges, etc. So one way car rental would probably work out cheaper than flying would in normal times. As to finding places to stop on the way home, a lot depends on what is open in the given state you are driving through, I believe Texas was mentioned, as of a few days ago Texas has started to re-open, the drive to Illinois would likely take you through Arkansas, which never issued a stay at home order, .... The key is to research what is open along the way, call RV parks and see if they are accepting overnight guest, but overall my bet is you can find some place along the way without a problem, unless the state government has ordered the RV parks closed, which I think has only happened in a few states.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's what I've done.

Get lots of pictures and details. Make a deal, contingent on two inspections. A professional inspection and your personal inspection. Tender a modest refundable deposit.

Have the professional inspection done. Depending on results walk away or renegotiate the the deal (seller fix, price reduction, etc), etc.

Once satisfied.

Travel to do your final inspection. If satisfactory - finalize the deal and take possession of the RV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Here's what I've done.

Get lots of pictures and details. Make a deal, contingent on two inspections. A professional inspection and your personal inspection. Tender a modest refundable deposit.

Have the professional inspection done. Depending on results walk away or renegotiate the the deal (seller fix, price reduction, etc), etc.

Once satisfied.

Travel to do your final inspection. If satisfactory - finalize the deal and take possession of the RV.
Agree but I would include an option for a third Inspection if desired... separate RV house and chassis. Two different knowledge/ skill sets.
I chose to do my personal inspection first after reviewing photos, talking to seller. As a result of my inspection and seller demonstrating all systems worked as stated I then decided to waive the 2 professional inspections. I was prepared to spend another day or two in the area to complete additional inspection if necessary. At that point it's only an additional hotel night cost.
Only thing I would add if circumstances allowed would be to have someone I know & trust that lived anywhere close do a cursory inspection to verify pics were accurate and representative, engine sounded OK and wasn't smoking, etc before I made the trip. Not always possible, I realize but worth a try. I have sometimes been able to connect a forum member with someone I know to do the cursory inspection.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:10 AM   #25

Hang in there, it’s a little like kissing some frogs before you find your prince. Great advice given here.

I’m a big fan of buying used, because of the value you get and the kinks have usually been worked out. Dealers always rip you off IMHO so look for an owner who has taken care of it & has all the records. Covid may be your friend in negotiations, as many folks may want to sell now. Get the newest year model you can afford. Blow up the pics very large to see if the decals are faded or split. Make sure the generator has been exercised 2 hours/month or it may need carburetor repairs. Open the awning. Test every appliance on the house side & get a regular mechanic to inspect the motor/chassis part of it, brakes & tires. Don’t be afraid to fly somewhere & rent a car to see it, then drive it home if it’s the one. Don’t buy one with rust, also a good reason not to buy in Chicago or midwest. If it’s 6+ years old plan on buying new tires. I don’t agree that you should pull a toad on your first trip, you’ll have your hands full already. Good luck & keep us posted!
GypsySoul888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice