Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 09:15 PM   #1

Lightbulb Help? I am Looking for a good truck bed cover

I have been looking for a good truck bed cover that ticks all of the boxes. I have my eye on an www.renegadecovers.com I am torn between that and a diamondback cover.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Thank you for the help!
Normal guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 10:57 PM   #2

I just went to Renegade’s website and the information on the site says they ship in 22-25 weeks (approximately 6 months). The price for my truck was quoted as $2,795, plus $373.36 (or $450.00) shipping.

The Diamondback website says they ship in 15-18 days. The price quote for my truck was $2,299, plus free shipping anywhere in the USA.

Just based on the price of the respective covers, shipping, and delivery time-frame estimates, I would opt for the Diamondback cover.

I have no personal experience with either cover, nor do I know anyone who has, so I can’t comment on the quality, performance, or features of either one.

Marty
Old 01-23-2022, 05:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure of what your requirements are but I've owned a few roll up style covers and the Roll and Lock brand is my preferred. I like the roll up style because it easily allows access to my gooseneck hitch when needed and also allows easy flexibility for hauling large items which is a drawback to the solid shell type covers. The negative to the roll up style is the canister the is at the front of the bed so if you haul motorcycles or a quad this would be problematic. I've also owned the soft tonneau covers and they can be time consuming to open to carry loads and then you also have to manage the cross bows. They are also hard to reinstall when it is cold.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:02 AM   #4

I have an undercover ArmorFlex. Works like it should and is half the price of the one you are looking at.

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-armorflex
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #5

It would be difficult for any of us to really help you if you don't tell us which boxes you want to tick off.
Personally, I can't use a roll up since I put a motorcycle in it.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:54 PM   #6

Undercover makes a good product.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
I have an undercover ArmorFlex. Works like it should and is half the price of the one you are looking at.

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-armorflex
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
Undercover makes a good product.

X3 on the Undercover. Mine is the one piece. I like it but it does not have anything like the load rating of the Renegade cover. Personally, I would not like the multi-hinged design of the Diamondback covers. Maybe I didn't look far enough to see if they had other options.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #8
Cat

X2 very happy with mine. I've owned my Undercover Flex for 2 years in the Northwest and its kept my stuff secure and dry. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #9

I have read a lot of reviews on truck websites about tonneau covers. A lot depends on how you use your truck.

For me, I need maximum flexibility, and I wanted cheap. A simple, soft, roll up cover works great for my needs and can be had in the $300-$400 range.

I was looking for something that was easily removed to give me the full bed length, but I find the rolled up cover pretty much sits on top of the front of the bed next to the cab, so I have full bed without ever removing. In the 7 years across 2 trucks I have had this style, I have never removed. The cross-bows are attached and just roll up with the cover.

One of my items on my list was that I could roll the cover back from one side. It is a pain to try to roll the cover back with a trailer attached and have to walk around the truck or trailer to release the other side.

If you need/want more security, the hard rollups provide, but they are typically a larger rolled up situation that may block view through rear window and cover up a portion of the bed next to the cab.

The tri-fold are going to typically block view through rear mirror when open. Probably impact the bed length in the open position.

Hard, 1-piece covers are most secure, but are more difficult to remove and to store if you need full bed access.

Some of the tri-fold, or hard rollups, or the 1-piece hard designs may allow you to load items and secure to the top of the cover, 2 level loading, so to speak.

My roll up has rails that attach to the inside edge of the bed rails, cannot speak to the other designs. It reduces the width between the rails by about 4" (2" each side), but I can still carry a full sheet of MDF (MDF is actually 49" wide) without any issues. If I am carrying a mattress or something that will rest against the rails, I toss a moving blanket to protect from the cover rails.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #10

I have a Paragon cover on my Frontier. I like it slides open and closed and locks securing the bed.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #11

I have a Softopper on my Gladiator. You can haul taller items in it. Not securable.

https://softopper.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi...4aAhuSEALw_wcB
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal guy View Post
I have been looking for a good truck bed cover that ticks all of the boxes. I have my eye on an www.renegadecovers.com I am torn between that and a diamondback cover.

Does anyone have thoughts?

Thank you for the help!
I have a Tonneau Trifecta tri-fold for my truck bed. It's vinyl, not a hard cover or a roll-up. I'm very pleased with it so far and the price was right. I had the dealer install it in case there were any issues. There was one. They installed the old handles. So, easy fix. They put the correct ones on at no extra charge. If you're bed cover savvy, you could install this one yourself.
LGMaxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #13

If a roll up cover hits the boxes you’re trying to check, I’d suggest taking a look at the Retrax Pro. I’ve had two of them on 2 different trucks. My 3rd cover if I buy one will be the same.

Very low profile, opens and locks in any position from fully closed to fully open. Also it and your tailgate can be opened/closed independently of each other as needed. One was on a truck I used to pull my fifth wheel. No clearance of interference issues at all.

Happy shopping,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:16 PM   #14
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnAggie View Post
If a roll up cover hits the boxes you’re trying to check, I’d suggest taking a look at the Retrax Pro. I’ve had two of them on 2 different trucks. My 3rd cover if I buy one will be the same.

Very low profile, opens and locks in any position from fully closed to fully open. Also it and your tailgate can be opened/closed independently of each other as needed. One was on a truck I used to pull my fifth wheel. No clearance of interference issues at all.

Happy shopping,
I've had a roll top cover and it worked well until I got into snow and ice. It was impossible to get it open until it thawed out enough. If you stay in the warm country all the time they're Very good.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover