Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #1

Help me Please. My wife wants to remodel the interior of RV. How can I dissusade?

My wife wants to paint the RV wall paper, take down the valances, recover the valances, recover dinette cushions, etc maybe paint the cabinets ....

Help me ... what am I to do ...

I foresee the interior of my RV being trashed indefinitely ...

Part painted ... part original ... dissembled blinds & valances for months ....

How do I avoid this fate and not look like a bad guy ...

She's very talented. I know she can do it but life gets in the way of big projects and it takes a very long time to get them finished ... if ever.

I like it all just fine the way it is ...

Tell me a secret or trick to circumvent this but yet come out on top ......
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
My wife wants to paint the RV wall paper, take down the valances, recover the valances, recover dinette cushions, etc maybe paint the cabinets ....

Help me ... what am I to do ...

I foresee the interior of my RV being trashed indefinitely ...

Part painted ... part original ... dissembled blinds & valances for months ....

How do I avoid this fate and not look like a bad guy ...

She's very talented. I know she can do it but life gets in the way of big projects and it takes a very long time to get them finished ... if ever.

I like it all just fine the way it is ...

Tell me a secret or trick to circumvent this but yet come out on top ......
Good Luck with that

After 37 years of wedded bliss I have found that saying "Yes Dear" is typically the best solution.

I was completely unsuccessful in this endeavor and now have many new cabinets, new Day/Night roller shades, paint, quartz counters, and a stone backsplash.

Wishing you the best of luck
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

Good luck. My question is this, does it need it? What year, etc. is this coach? Maybe you will like it when she is done, especially if you have some out dated things going on.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

Wall paper? Are you full time? I have no idea how you can get out of it, short of saying you're thinking of downsizing and the motorhome will fetch a better price if it's in it's original form, no personalizations.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

It a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QDH.
The entire coach inside and out is in good shape
The interior is in good shape but is 2008 decor

My wife watches the home decor shows religiously
My opinion is that each TV designer poos on what is existing and changes it
One show trashes bathroom subway tile the next show says its the greatest thing

Whether the interior is dated or not seems to be just an opinion
The next owner will probably rip it out and change it to something that looked like what was there before ... and declare it a huge improvement

Whos to say ....
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

Yes ... we fulltime ... plan to retire in less than a year ...
Old 04-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

First off, you will NEVER talk her out of this. So resign yourself to the fact that it's going to happen, eventually. Maybe you can talk her into doing it in bite sized pieces. The upholstery, one piece of furniture at a time. The valances one at a time. Painting the wall paper is probably not a good idea unless it is actually wall paper and not vinyl. Fortunately I have 10 apartments so my wife is up to her ears in remodeling so I don't see that being a big issue in our rig - but I've been wrong before. Maybe if you help her you can talk her into a month long fishing trip somewhere. Just remember happy wife, happy life. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Help her. It will be completed that much sooner.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Start with one thing, finish it, move to the next. That way it doesn't look totally like a construction zone inside. Personally I would suggest valances first, then cushions, because each of those can be done one at a time and completed before the next valence or cushion gets start - that's the way we did hours.
Painting the walls isn't bad, could do any section (room) in a weekend if you/she really works it. So it's the same thing, pick a room, DO IT, and put it back together before starting the next room.
Painted cabinets look really nice, but are a PITA to do - that's the one that will just look messy until it's all done.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

Years and years ago a girl I lived decided to strip the paint off a pair of French doors as they would look much nicer in bare wood. She picked up a life lesson then. It's easy to slap coat of cheap white paint on anything and a whole other thing to get it all back off.

My first thought when I hear someone "remodeled" their RV is "Oh. I betcha white paint was on sale cheap." I've never quite gotten why so many people want wonderful natural wood grain to look like plastic.

I'm no help at all here though. My DW is completely incompetent at such things so all I have to do is duck and dodge such projects until she gives up. Or at least doesn't bring it up so much.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
It a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QDH.
The entire coach inside and out is in good shape
The interior is in good shape but is 2008 decor

My wife watches the home decor shows religiously
My opinion is that each TV designer poos on what is existing and changes it
One show trashes bathroom subway tile the next show says its the greatest thing

Whether the interior is dated or not seems to be just an opinion
The next owner will probably rip it out and change it to something that looked like what was there before ... and declare it a huge improvement

Whos to say ....
1) Recovering the fabric isnt a bad idea... better yet go on a site like seats4less and buy an entirely new interior package for $4000

2) Buy temporary wall paper, use that instead of paint. Thats what I did, if a subsequent owner hates it they can go back to stock. It doesnt stick super well if temps get below freezing, though

3) Change tile with the stick on variant

4) I would never ever paint the wood...

Remodelling the coach isnt a bad idea... its just $$$

But, its WAY cheaper than getting a new RV
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Wall paper? Are you full time? I have no idea how you can get out of it, short of saying you're thinking of downsizing and the motorhome will fetch a better price if it's in it's original form, no personalizations.

This would be my response too. I've seen some professional redo's that look great but I've seen a lot more that aren't. Good luck, I know the feeling.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Commercial Member

roll with it. if you refuse, it becomes a thorn of contention that will not go away.
after 57 years of marriage, ive learned to steer the problem the point to pleasing both
without a fight. the most important part. remember, she has to live with it too.
love her more than the motorhome. #1
maybe new cushions and shades in front. new runners really can help.
in the bathroom, new linens, towels, and a throw rug.
in the bedroom,new bed sheets, and a new coverlet.
new shades also.

you know you can order new cabinet doors, drawer fronts, and other wooden parts.even have them custom made.
there are lots of ways to change the look without tearing things apart.
sometimes these things blow up to a real argument. avoid that if you can.
i know these things from experience. we live in our motorhome for almost 8 years, and a total of over 200,00 miles doing rallies, and dealer visits.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I would stop owning the RV.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, remodel