Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I've always heard that antifreeze in the transmission will kill it dead in short order. I would not do anything that might encourage that situation. Oil (or tx fluid) in the antifreeze is something to get concerned about but not near as bad as anitfreeze in the transmission.
I know from boating experience that getting seawater into the transmission fluid at a leaky fluid cooler is fatal. Luckily a little Velvet Drive transmission is a helluva lot less expensive to rebuild or replace than an Allison.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #16

I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL on a Freight liner XC chassis with a C7 Cat and a Allison H3000MH trans. It has a remote SS trans cooler under the rad, well while going over the thing I found antifreeze in the trans and trans fluid in the rad. There was no indication of a problem so who knows how long this was going on. There was no advise as to what should be the best repair. One was just flush it and see what happens???? Not a good idea since this is a motor home and I do use it for long distance trip, as in coast to coast. Maybe that would have been fine but after I did one flush and the fluid was still like tomato soup I went for a Allison reman unit to the tune of $7000. Once again there was no indication the trans was having a problem. Good luck
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't pressure test the cooling system.

If the oil cooler is leaking it could push coolant into the oil, a much worse condition then oil in the coolant.

In most cases it won't tell you anything anyway. Oil pressure runs between 30 amp 60 lbs. Coolant is at 16 lbs. The hole in the cooler often only leaks oil out.

Unless it was caused by human error, oil in the coolant is almost always the oil cooler.

Have the cooler removed and pressure tested for a diagnosis.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hermit View Post
I'm not sure I like this idea. If there is a leak between transmission or engine oil lines inside the engine cooling system radiator, would not a pressure test of the cooling system, with the engine not running and zero pressure in the oil line, drive coolant into the oil line and circulate it into the transmission or crankcase?
I simply stated HOW ITS DONE not for him to run out and have it done. as said I would have the fluids analyzed then you'll know for sure what is going on and what to do.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
If the engine oil cooler or the transmission heat exchanger is leaking, it's going to be cross contaminated.

When the engine is running, oil and transmission fluid working pressure is higher than coolant pressure. So oil/fluid gets into coolant system.

But......when engine is at operating Temp, there's 12 or 14 psi of coolant pressure..... coolant will still have that pressure when engine is shut down....and oil/fluid pressure is zero until the engine cools down. Coolant is then able to get into crankcase or transmission .....

Hopefully it's not too serious. If it was, the OP would have a gray messy yuk liquid in both coolant and crankcase.

I've also had to drop oil pan, put 15/20 psi on cooling system and look for coolant leaking from cylinder liners...

But no matter what, all coolant, oil and transmission fluid should be flushed once leak is, if ever, found.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #20

….where is the "oil cooler" on a Cummins diesel located?????...Tranny cooler in the radiator --yes, hydraulic fluid cooler in coolant tube--yes....oil cooler?????...this new term to me......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ö.where is the "oil cooler" on a Cummins diesel located?????...Tranny cooler in the radiator --yes, hydraulic fluid cooler in coolant tube--yes....oil cooler?????...this new term to me......
The engine oil cooler is in a housing bolted to side of block, just ahead of oil filter head.

There's no in radiator heat exchanger for these big Allison transmission, the heat exchanger is plumbed into the lower radiator hose. Some coaches may have a internal radiator cooler, but you normally can't get a big enough heat exchanger inside a radiator tank for this application.

.... that help?

The hydraulic coolers are air to oil, mounted outside of radiator
Old 05-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ö.where is the "oil cooler" on a Cummins diesel located?????...Tranny cooler in the radiator --yes, hydraulic fluid cooler in coolant tube--yes....oil cooler?????...this new term to me......
I think radiator/tx/oil cooler configurations are determined by the coach manufacturers. I know in the 2001 model years, Monaco had some with the tx cooler in the radiator and some with the tx cooler seperate from the radiator.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't pressure test the cooling system.

If the oil cooler is leaking it could push coolant into the oil, a much worse condition then oil in the coolant.

In most cases it won't tell you anything anyway. Oil pressure runs between 30 amp 60 lbs. Coolant is at 16 lbs. The hole in the cooler often only leaks oil out.

Unless it was caused by human error, oil in the coolant is almost always the oil cooler.

Have the cooler removed and pressure tested for a diagnosis.
At last somebody who knows what he talking about!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
they put a special cap on your cooling system and pressurize it, then monitor it for a period of time. if the pressure drops you have a leak somewhere. I would have an analysis of the cooling water done. they should be able to tell you just what the oil is, lube oil or trans oil.
Jay D.
Sorry no offence but doing this your way is so incorrect. If the oil cooler is suspect than DO NOT PRESSURIZE THE COOLING SYSTEM
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Sorry no offence but doing this your way is so incorrect. If the oil cooler is suspect than DO NOT PRESSURIZE THE COOLING SYSTEM
Yes, your correct, and if the cooler is suspect, it has to be removed to pressure test.

But you realize the coolant system is pressurized when the engine is at operating temp?.... as noted in my post above.

The engine oil cooler is not terrible hard to remove, it's behind the oil filter base/cover. As well the transmission cooler has to be ruled out, transmission cooler is easier to remove and pressure test, if it's trans fluid in coolant.

But either way, if a cooler is leaking one direction it'll leak the other, all depends on which side has higher pressure difference.

There's a black light test to check for leaking cylinder liners o-rings, but that's another post...lol

OP should first determine what he's got in coolant reservoir.

A few years ago, I had a buddy need some hydraulic fluid for a farm tractor. He put it in a used coolant jug, then a year or so later, put some of that "coolant" in the radiator of same tractor! Ha-ha, he was certain it blew a head gasket.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #26

Ted lets get the story correct! I simply replied the question, HOW DO THEY DO THAT. I DID suggest a fluids analysis to see what was in what.
Jay D.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #27

If you have oil in the Radiator it is coming from the Oil Cooler or you haven't kept your Coolant Conditioner level correct allowing your cylinder liners to pit, burn thru. I Know because I have had this happen.. your oil pressure will always be higher than your water pressure
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Yes, your correct, and if the cooler is suspect, it has to be removed to pressure test.

But you realize the coolant system is pressurized when the engine is at operating temp?.... as noted in my post above.

The transmission cooler it easier to remove and pressure test, if it's trans fluid in coolant.

But either way, if a cooler is leaking one direction it'll leak the other, all depends on which side has higher pressure difference.
HERE someone FINALLY knows what he is talking about! its going to leak both ways with a cycle of temperatures.