Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Help Please solar install recommendation

I would like to have solar installed on my 2019 Big Foot 25RQ trailer. I do not want to do this myself. I live in Lebanon, TN which is 30 miles east of Nashville. I may have it done at the Lebanon RV Center but the owner is having medical issues and will most probably not be able to do the install. Does anyone know of, or would be willing to recommend, a high quality RV Service shop that might be able to do a Solar install on my trailer near Lebanon?

6 Renogy Eclipse panels, 4 Battleborn lithium batteries, Magnum Controller, etc, etc. These may change depending on the recommendations of the installer.

Thank you
Henry aka Rzrbrn
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can’t recommend any because this is something I’ve always done this myself, and from what a I’ve read, many installers charge 3 or 4 times (or more) what the job is worth.

My recommendation is to get a complete estimate in writing including an equipment list and reporting back here before going ahead.

For a couple initial questions: have you determined your total power needs? is this a 12v system? How big are the panels? What inverter are you going to use?

Also be prepared for bizarre unrelated anti-solar ramblings from people talking about nuclear reactors, kool-aide, and working in China
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:52 AM   #3

Thank you R. Wold. I hope to get a detailed estimate from the RV Service center I have been talking with and will get back to you when (if) I get that. This RV Center has done work for me in the past and I have every confidence in them, it is just that the owner is having severe medical issues so I may need to have someone else do the install.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds good - work with someone you know and trust, and also that will listen to you about your specific design requirements rather than just trying to sell you a package system. It’s worth waiting for. I looked at some Pre-packaged 12 v systems today and they were all over priced, under powered, and used cheap components.

A mobile system needs an inverter and other components suitable for the marine environment so that’s a good standard to start with. A lot of RV manufacturers still use Xantrex inverters but since they moved manufacturing to China they are now made with cheap components and I don’t consider them reliable. They still trade on their previous reputation when they were made in Canada. For me it’s Victron or Outback. Magnum equipment seems to be heavily used in better RVs and well thought of, I just have no experience with it.

On panels since you are only buying a few, buy the best you can get. I use LG. I have residential stuff on my rig but there nothing wrong with a good 12v system, especially if you are not running an air conditioner off the solar. It would be interesting to see your energy needs list and your basic plan.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #5

It has been suggested I use six 100W Renogy Eclipse solar panels and the Rover LI 40A MPPT charge controller. I will know more when I receive the estimate.
Keep in mind I have a 2019 Big Foot 25RQ travel trailer, with limited roof space.

The following is an estimate not tested and perhaps overstated:

Fully charged batteries at the end of a solar day in the Michigan in the winter.
Enough charge to start a Cummins 2500 LP generator in the morning
30K btu furnace and fan (5 hours a day in the winter, 10º outside temp)
Space heater, 1500 watt, 30 minutes per day
Fantastic fan, 5 hours per day in the spring, summer and winter
Refrigerator, Dometic, continuous
Microwave, 1000 watt unit, 30 minutes a day
Coffee maker, 1200 watt, 1 hour per day
Water pump, 1 hour, total, continuous per day
2 cell phone charge outlets, 2 hours each per day
2 LED lights, 4 hours per day each
Hot Water tank, 2 hours a day
TV, 12VDC, four hours per day
Blu Ray, 4 hours per day
Blow dryer, 1500 watt, 15 minutes per day
2 laptop computers, 2 hours per day )may be offset with TV useage)
Old 02-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

I have been cautioned that there will not be enough electricity available to run an 11btu AC, which will be run with the generator and on shore power.

The above noted energy usage will be modified and reduced as necessary.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #7

"It has been suggested I use six 100W Renogy Eclipse solar"

I would suggest you forget the 6 panels.
They have panels that are 300W that being said you could use two panels.

Sun Electronics in Miami FL has a great selection and pricing.

https://sunelec.com/
305-536-9917
ask for Pierre. He's
Very knowledgeable. Hopefully he's not moved on.

My configuration is
1 , 220 watt solar panel ( I use it as a portable)

A Magnum Ms 2812 inverter with a 125 amp charger ( I simply unplugged the factory charger)

Next is the Morning Star sun saver duo
( Mine is a 25 amp) they have others.
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...IQ-K4BegQICxAr.

This allows me to charge two separate battery banks at the same time and at the correct rate. AGM and wet cell. And it programmable.

You also need a sub panel and DC shunt to protect each side of the Magnum.

I am using 4 group 31 AGM DEKA INTIMIDATOR batteries. The charge up really fast. I removed the factory battery box and made my own to accept the four DEKA batteries. Lastly by putting my Magnum inverter above my batteries and in the basement it helps to keep that area of the basement warm. The Magnum it does generate heat and the door is vented. Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200201_103057_5155536821654476645.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	273901Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20200201_103155_8679064384322865424.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	273902
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
It has been suggested I use six 100W Renogy Eclipse solar panels and the Rover LI 40A MPPT charge controller. I will know more when I receive the estimate.
Keep in mind I have a 2019 Big Foot 25RQ travel trailer, with limited roof space.

The following is an estimate not tested and perhaps overstated:

Fully charged batteries at the end of a solar day in the Michigan in the winter.
Enough charge to start a Cummins 2500 LP generator in the morning
30K btu furnace and fan (5 hours a day in the winter, 10º outside temp)
Space heater, 1500 watt, 30 minutes per day
Fantastic fan, 5 hours per day in the spring, summer and winter
Refrigerator, Dometic, continuous
Microwave, 1000 watt unit, 30 minutes a day
Coffee maker, 1200 watt, 1 hour per day
Water pump, 1 hour, total, continuous per day
2 cell phone charge outlets, 2 hours each per day
2 LED lights, 4 hours per day each
Hot Water tank, 2 hours a day
TV, 12VDC, four hours per day
Blu Ray, 4 hours per day
Blow dryer, 1500 watt, 15 minutes per day
2 laptop computers, 2 hours per day )may be offset with TV useage)
That’s a good list. I fooled around with this yesterday: https://gpelectric.com/calculator/ and it seems well tailored to your sizing calculations
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

The Renogy 100 watt panels were selected at least in part because that is all the space I have on the roof. My TT is not big.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Some friends just bought an 18’ TT and are toying with the idea of a portable system. That way they can have a few panels (more than will fit on the roof) and they can park in the shade and have the panels in the sun. Also the panels can be properly oriented to maximize performance. And since they pull it with a full a Chevy 2500, plenty of room in the bed for a few panels. Something to think about.

I prefer residential equipment and bigger panels but there are certainly advantages to 12v systems. You might also talk to Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
Old 03-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #11

The shop doing the solar install had some problems, which have been overcome so we are now moving on this solar install project.
6 Renogy solar panels
4 battleborn batteries
Possibly a Victron charger inverter
other items not yet identified
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #12

I won't get into the equipment that you might need or want but here is a link to an install that can help you decide that part of it anyway. The link is part one but it will take you to parts 2 and 3.
This young man is very articulate and explains things in a way that even I can understand haha. He has several others worth watching about solar.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I have been using the Go power website to estimate my solar needs. I watched the first YouTube video Toby Dog suggested. Very interesting and will watch all. I like that he screwed the mounting brackets into his roof, but I am not certain applying sealant before he drilled the holes is the best technique. My TT is a molded fiberglass without a wooden framework to screw into, so it will be interesting to see what our installed addresses this issue. I fully expect bolts completely through the roof, which my wife is less than pleased with, but I don't know of any other way. I don't think just using adhesive is sufficient, although that may be the way to go.

Also he stated that he found 10 gauge (can't remember the term he used) Photovoltaic or solar wire. This is just electrical wire so is this indeed "special" wire? Why would not just any multi strand 10 gauge wire work?

This is a very fine video and I will be rewatching it.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #14

Look on YouTube for Bus Grease Monkey. He's in Franklin Tn and hes doing a solar install. He's able to run his ac on solar. It's been the focus of his channel for the last couple of week because he's not on the road right now.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar