Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Help, remove water stain in ceiling... ??

Looking at older used motorhome. It has small water stain in the ceiling of a cupboard (carpet type ceiling). It is almost black and about 4 years old. Roof was re-sealed at that time.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove (lighten) this type of stain???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would try using 10% bleach mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray it on, dab it off and let try. Repeat until it lightens up or comes clean.

If that doesn't do it, I would buy some fabric spray paint and paint it since it's in a cabinet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Hydrogen peroxide , solution ; note cover anything you don't want to be white.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Oxiclean carpet. Spray on -blot with white towel. Too agressive rubbing will fuzz the ceiling.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

If you are considering buying this, I would suggest you run like mad, unless the price is only a few hundred dollars, and you are looking for a project.

A black water stain is mold. The inside surface of the ceiling is the last place to get moldy. Cleaning this won't fix the problem. Most likely there is black mold in the ceiling where you can't see it, probably due to a leak. You can expect that mold you can't see will be much more extensive than the mold you can.
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Just to let you know... Apparently the more I thought about it the blacker the spot seemed to be (in my mind). Fortunately I managed to make it worse than it really was.
Went back to look again and the spot is a light (very) grey water stain. Did try the bleach and water suggestion and viola it cleaned right up and everything looked great.

Just thought I'd let folks know I appreciate the help and it was successful.

The only problem is that on the way back home we stopped at a dealer (just to look) and the Supreme Commander found a new one that she is crazy about. Good thing we were just looking....yeah right.

Soooo, the saga continues.

Tags
ceiling, water