Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Help-Repairing Side Wall

HELP.. How would one fix this???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2020-12-25 at 7.53.51 PM.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	312425  
Sandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Find a carpenter to change out the plywood then a guy that does fiberglass repair then a painter
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #3

Order some filon, Stabond 183, Sikaflex-252 and pick up some lauan at Lowes'/Home Depot.

Remove the delaminated area along with some of the good siding until you can get a clean straight cut between the roof, the floor, window, hatch , etc.

Replace any rotten structural wood.

Cut the filon and lauan in slightly oversized panels and laminate them with the Stabond.

Clean and prep the frame work, trim the laminated panels to fit and glue them to the camper with the Sikaflex.

Use staples around the perimeter to hold it in place, the mouldings, hatches, windows and doors will do the rest.

Leave a 1/8" gap between the panels an use bead moulding in the open seams (don't try to bondo them) then paint to match.

I'm just finishing up a similar project here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/2019...-491684-3.html

PM me if you want to know where I sourced all the supplies.

Good luck hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

I'm just finishing up a similar project here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/2019...-491684-3.html
This link is broken.
Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Community Administrator

It worked for me on Safari.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Home Depot has FRP boards in the paneling department for about $30 for a 4'x 8' sheet. that's likely enough material for your fix.
There is a dimpled side and a smooth side. Likely you should put dimpled side in so the outside is smooth.

Cut the existing Filon that is damaged so the edges are smooth. Peel it back (after unscrewing the mouldings / door frames etc that are in the way) to expose the plywood underneath that is damaged. Cut the ply out. try to keep the shape so you can use the old wood as a template for new plywood (Home Depot).
Sika tube adhesive is good to secure the ply to the studs in the trailer walls. Before gluing it up, dry fit all cut parts to ensure they will fit and go in easy enough. Figure out where fasteners like screws can attach the parts.
Glue up the ply and screw it in place.

Cut the FRP white panel to cover the damages spot. Looking at the damage, likely one seam top to bottom. Right behind the awning arm looks like a good place to hide the seam. Once cut, again dry fit. Prepare a method to put 2x4s against the side (side to side or top to bottom) to press the FRP to the plywood while drying (overnight). Possibly prop against a building close to the side of the trailer. Or put long 2x4s top to bottom and use rope / straps to strap the boards to the side of the trailer. Then put wood shims against the FRP to push it to the plywood.

Get a rubber roller for laminate sheet installation (Home Depot). Glue the back side of the FRP spreading evenly with contact adhesive (for "formica" tops). Glue the plywood with same adhesive. Wait about 15 minutes and very carefully apply one edge of the FRP to the plywood aligning exactly where it should go. You get one shot at this as the adhesive will immediately bond. So mark / do trial runs where it goes before adhesive.

Once the FRP is applied, use the rubber roller starting from one edge, to push the air out the other side while pushing the FRP down vigouresly. Put your shims in to tighten the FRP to the plywood. Let it dry overnight.

use a cosmetic edge treatment (like aluminum molding) to cover the gap between the old and new panels. Reapply the top / side moulding. Use some Dicor to seal the exposed edges before putting the molding back over the edges.

Paint the panel to match the old. Another whole topic...
After the paint has dried, then seal the paint to molding with silicone caulking.

That should make it look nice again and water tight.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not hard to repair if you are handy and have some basic power tools.

Is this impact damage?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-n-Gina View Post
This link is broken.
Connects for me.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #9

It comes up as a deleted thread for me when I click on it in tapatalk. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll see if I can hit it from a web browser.

Edit: It seems that the way Tapatalk is abbreviating the link is causing it not to work for me.. I brought up IRV2 in Firefox mobile and was able to find that thread using the search function. Quite a project!
Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair