Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
help with setting up a satellite dish

I am a Dish subscriber. Someone has given me a satellite dish. It is compatible with my system.
The problem is that when I connect it to my receiver, I can't get a signal. I have tried many times; leveling the tripod and slowly moving the dish back and forth. Of course I use a compass to get it aligned as closely as possible. I don't know if it is the dish or me.
Any suggestions on how to find out if the dish is DOA or it's me. If it's me, there has to be an easier way of setting it up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Once you determine what the elevation and azimuth should be and level the mount it's a matter of finding the satellite signal. I use an inline signal strength meter to find the satellite then peak the signal with the signal strength meter in the TV setup app. I can usually find a good signal and get setup in about 5 minutes.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From personal experience, I think that Dish Network is harder to locate that DirecTV. You have to hit it dead on to get both the "birds" that you need.

As a test, here is what I suggest. Put the dish in your yard at home put the receiver and a small TV right beside it. Your receiver should have a setup function which allows you to see the signal strength. Note that even if you are hitting a satellite with an inline meter, if it isn't a Dish bird, the receiver won't recognize it. That is why I prefer the receivers meter to others.

Most dish elevation ranges are very hard to read. Be sure that you are using the elevation for your area and look at the bars closely for the setting. If you can get that very close, it is a lot easier set up the azimuth. Lay a compass directly in front of the dish (but not so close that it is influenced by the metal in the tripod.) I will often use a straight item, lined up on exactly where the azimuth is supposed to be on the compass right beside it. I can then line up the dish with the straight item An arrow shaft works well. Then, slowly swing the azimuth only (elevation locked) no more than 20 degrees on either side of the azimuth while watching the signal strength meter displayed on the TV from the receiver.

If that doesn't work, trying borrowing a dish from someone else and see if you can make the setup that I described work with a different dish. It is possible that you got a dish with a bad LNB. There is the remote possibility the LNB doesn't have the automatic switch that you need for Dish Network. You still should be able to get one of the two Dish birds.

Hope this helps.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ken, there are only 3 things that can cause the problem.

1. The main cable could have a bent center conductor and not going into the connection correct.

Insure the pins are not bent, if its the cable you always use that would help.

2. The horns are either bad, or for the wrong satellites.

The LNB's have the number stamped on them to insure they are right,you can switch the ones from your old dish to the new one with a wrench and screw driver.

3. The cable from the LNB might be bad also.

You can connect direct to each, you wont get all the channels but you should get a signal and a few channels.

I agree Dish is the toughest to lock in I also used the signal meter to determine if I had good signal.

I hope this helps,
Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure the cable from the dish is connected directly into the reciever. You cannnot go through the park cable connector. Then follow the above suggestions. Verify that you have a good connection by reading 13 - 19 vdc on the cable feeding the LNB.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Try moving tripod to a different spot, there may be an obstruction from a tree.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #7

I used to be able to aim my Dish antenna by using the receiver's signal function until I got a model 301 receiver. Newer receivers, in my opinion, have really slow processors or something and do not react very quickly to signals. Witness how long it takes to do an antenna check or download program guide info. I do not recommend trying to aim using the receiver signal feedback. With that in mind, there are certain things to be sure to do in order. OP, scrim, you did not say if you are trying to use your antenna with your RV TV.
1. Be sure you have a signal path from the antenna to your receiver. By that, I mean are you sure the coax cable connects through, and if it goes through a Winegard switch or other selector that it is set to the right input? I have tried to help people who were trying to get a sat signal from their rooftop bar antenna. If you are trying to use the cable TV input through an antenna amplifier, it will not work. If you are not sure, run a coax directly from the dish to your receiver the first time you try to aim.
2. Get the angles for the area you are in and make sure the antenna mast is vertical and you have the skew and tilt angles set. You don't have much chance finding a bird if you are not set up right.
3. When the antenna is hooked up, do a "check switch" on the setup menu. Are you sure you have the right equipment? Twin LNBF? Two single LNBs? Is there a combiner switch (e.g., SW-21 or 34) if needed?
4. If you have two LNBs or a twin, put some aluminum foil over the 110 satellite LNB. This will make it easier to be sure the 119 eye finds the right bird.
5. Sweep left and right very slowly toward the desired south angle. Stop every couple of degrees and let the receiver have a chance to process the signal. This is where even a cheap signal meter is a great help. With a $10 eBay meter, I can get on the 119 antenna within 2 minutes 9 times out of 10. (I have my wife cover her ears on that 10th time.)
It takes practice and patience until you master it. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
what compass works best

Thanks to all who have answered my post on "setting up a satellite dish". To start the dish was DOA. But now, whenever I get within a few feet of the dish, my compass starts pointing far away from North. Does the dish really create that much electro-magnetic interference? Is there a different make of compass I should consider?

Scrim
scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrim View Post
Thanks to all who have answered my post on "setting up a satellite dish". To start the dish was DOA. But now, whenever I get within a few feet of the dish, my compass starts pointing far away from North. Does the dish really create that much electro-magnetic interference? Is there a different make of compass I should consider?

Scrim
Quote:
Does the dish really create that much electro-magnetic interference?
Yes!
Quote:
Is there a different make of compass I should consider?
No.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote