Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey New Englanders, How Early Is Too Early?

Woke up to 9 degrees here at the Hub Of The Universe this morning, but the strengthening sun and lengthening days have me thinking of spring and itching to get out with the motorhome.

Sadly the state parks won't open until the end of May, which seems like an awfully long way away.

But still, I'm starting to ponder when it will be safe to de-winterize the RV. Ours is stored in indoor, but unheated, storage, so it can stand a cold night or two but not a hard freeze.

For those of you in New England, and especially here in relatively temperate southern New England, when do you deem it safe to de-winterize? And do you have a favorite spot for an early season outing?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Danforth Bay CG in Freedom NH is open year round. I've stayed there in late November and early March with snow on the ground! Burlingame SP in RI opens mid-April.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

I usually feel safe around the second weekend in April. Most Ct campgrounds open somewhere around then. But boy is it cold out there this am!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Danforth Bay CG in Freedom NH is open year round. I've stayed there in late November and early March with snow on the ground! Burlingame SP in RI opens mid-April.
Burlingame is a pretty nice place.

I've no problem using the MH in early March when it's still cold, but I'm not going to do so because after I use it I have to put it back in storage and de-winterizing and re-winterizing seems like too much effort for a weekend outing.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

We like to go to Meredith Woods in NH the 3 week of April. Indoor pool and hot tub and nice peaceful treed sites. We have actually camped there between the melting snow mounds. We are now seasonal and our place opens April 15 at Ashaway RV Resort in Ashaway RI, exit 1 off 95.
In the past we also liked to go to Washington, DC , Pocono Mountains, PA , West Point, NY and Gettysburg, PA for our April getaways.
mrrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #6

We've had single-digit temps this week here in Central NH - more predicted for the weekend - Brrr! So... it's too early... 8^)
Gotta give it another month, anyway. Not too many years ago we got a foot of wet snow the last day of April - trees were already leafing out - made a mess! just need to watch the weather... Fingers crossed! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Woke up to 9 degrees here ...

it can stand a cold night or two but not a hard freeze....

here in relatively temperate southern New England...
Wait. what?

I woke up to 53 degrees this morning, might have to put on a jacket.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
IC2

Since we can see Vermont from a low rise, have about the same temps - it was 4*F yesterday and Sunday, 32*F this morning. With that said, it really doesn't take that long for me to dump the antifreeze and install the bigger batteries vs the over winter little one I use for occasional lights to do a check. I just wait until we plan our first trip then do it a day or so before. I have also been known to do a drain at home then a flush at our first CG, especially since their pressure is normally higher then what our town supplies. My wife will pick up a couple gallons of bottled water for anything we might need enroute if we do the CG final system flush.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

We have been camping on the CT/RI border for the last 15 years and the first week of April is the usual time they turn the water back on in our park. We have never had any issues with any real freezing except the occasional spigot freezing over night, but once the sun is up it thaws. As for the camper itself nothing has frozen up on it as far as I am aware. I do check the 10 day weather forecast prior to leaving and once or twice I dropped the main drains to empty the lines as a precaution. Good luck...
Old 03-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #10

First week in April is generally safe. Still get below freezing but not a hard freeze that will break pipes.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
IC2

This weekend is NOT a good one to begin your camping season - near 0*F and a snowstorm or two on the horizon
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
I dewinterize when I'm going to use it here in Montana. Earliest was first of April. But I drained the water from the lines, water heater, and fresh water tank. It would take a prolonged cold snap to get the water in traps. And if it was predicted I'd use a electric heater inside to keep the chill away if it's parked. Next winter we're snow birding and won't come back till late March. I won't winterize it. I have an adapter to use my air compressor to blow out the lines. That's all I'll do.
djnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #13

It's too early... :(
Old 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #14

KZ RV Club
Angry

9 degrees last night,lower tonight and a foot of snow or more Tuesday. Just another March in coastal CT.
Popsy is offline   Reply With Quote