Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Hiding Surround Sound Wiring

After watching extreme RV last night, I'm sort of motivated to install a surround sound system in our Dolphin.

We've got an un-used Sony surround system we used to have in our living room that's just packed away in a box. Always worked and sounded good, we just upgraded.

Has anyone done such an upgrade? If so how did you hide the wiring for the speakers going to the back channels?
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

One word: WIREMOLD!

Wiremold Products - Online Store - WiremoldProducts.com

I've used wiremold products on many home theater installs for a virtually invisible wire installation -- they are molded plastic channels that you can slip a wire into and adhere to a wall, ceiling, above cabinets, etc. You can easily paint the wiremold to match colors to the background area that it will be installed in.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wolfpac,

Is it time to upgrade to wireless surround sound?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wayne ..I picked up those Wire Channels at Home Depot and used a screw driver to tuck them it where I could. Works for me....we were watching Band of Brothers D-Day scene at a campground one night and the neighbors thought it was thundering but didn't see any lightning. Even though it was low the sub woofer had them fooled.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 03 Dolphin LX already has speaker wires already in the back for the entertainment center---why are you not able to use those? I don't need an answer just wondering?

On my 03 on each side of the windshield is a facia which can be removed easily which serves as a chase for bundles of wires each side. You can run the wires down there then to the basement and come up next to a wall and use the wiremold up the wall if necessary. On my floor plan I think I could go inside cabinets to get high enough.

Let us know how you do I am interested in doing this myself. Wireless is a good idea but you already have the system.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wolfpack.....You can just about run wiring everywhere depending on how hard you want to work. Speaker wire is relatively inexpensive. Run it down the right or left "A" pillar, under the dash, through the firewall and then along the frame (protected with wire sheathing). This is usually one of the fastest ways to get it to the rear and avoid things like slides. You can then feed the wiring back up into the coach via the refer opening or bathroom plumbing, depending on where you want the speakers.

You usually start by determining where you would LIKE the speakers and then see how you can fish the wires down to the frame of the coach from there. Once you do that, you've got the hardest part done.

On my coach, they put the subwoofer in a lower cabinet in the middle of the coach.

If you have ducted A/C, sometimes you can get the wires inside the ducting and feed them back to an area in the roof. Remember, those rear speakers can be at floor level, allowing you to drill right through the flooring and down to the undercarriage.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wolfpac,

Is it time to upgrade to wireless surround sound?
Wayne, I've already got a decent wired system, that's just collecting dust, so I'm more inclined to just use that one. Plus I'm not sure how good the wireless stuff is. Several years ago we tried to put in some wireless rear channel speakers for the home theater system and they didn't sound that good. Maybe the technology has gotten better by now.

By the way Happy Veterans day! Veteran!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
My 03 Dolphin LX already has speaker wires already in the back for the entertainment center---why are you not able to use those? I don't need an answer just wondering?

On my 03 on each side of the windshield is a facia which can be removed easily which serves as a chase for bundles of wires each side. You can run the wires down there then to the basement and come up next to a wall and use the wiremold up the wall if necessary. On my floor plan I think I could go inside cabinets to get high enough.

Let us know how you do I am interested in doing this myself. Wireless is a good idea but you already have the system.
I didn't see speaker wires behind the entertainment section when I put in the new dvd player and play station. Mine's the standard Dolphin. Yours being the LX, that might have been something it came with.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Good ideas folks. I especially like the idea of using the ac ducts. Not sure why I hadn't already thought of the plastic wire mold. I used the same stuff wiring a wall mount tv in our game room in the house.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you go to ITEM # 2 you will find how I set one up in my coach.
Take your time and look it all over than do it, have fun and enjoy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have a 36' 1997 Dolphin M.H. got it new in 97.
I have a seround sound C.D. player that I had installed years ago and I have a T.V. that is on the same vintage as my M.H.
I would like to be able to connect the T.V. speakers to the C.D. speakers.
Any ideas?
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Just a thought.
They sound great but don't go over very well in R.V. parks.
Maybe it's because your about 15' from your neighbor.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neighborers can't hear mine with the well insulated coach, doesn't help the wife though with my deaf ears.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Deaf for the stereo or deaf for DW's voice? We all have that selective hearing, right?

Wolfpack,

Sounds like you are getting close. Try using those fiberglass "fish" poles they sell in the stereo sections. I've seen them in Fry's. They bend real well and will let you fish through the overhead. When you get to where you want to be tie a nylon string on the end and pull the string out and then tie your wire to the string and pull it through. You can pull a second string through with the wire and leave it in place for the next fiber-optics upgrade. Hee hee!.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring